Outside the Four Walls

Outside the Four Walls

A Poem by Louise Whalen
"

I wonder if the people who did not have electricity truly appreciated how beautiful life was with expansive untouched woods and gurgling creeks...

"

Four walls, slanted, insulated, painted, polished, and stripped from God’s gifts.
Inside, furnished, crowded, surrounded, clogging, blocking, separation from the beginning, from the original, from the Maker.
All this fascinatingly fun equipment, controlled fire, and mechanisms that determine temperature. It’s so great, so easy, that we forget who first invented the weather. We’ll be reminded, yes, from time to time, when He blows his winds and pours his rains,
“Wake up! Wake up! I am still waiting, ears open, eyes all seeing!”
But, no, no, every person got their favorite brand of disconnection and distraction.
We submit ourselves to what we hate, because we’re programmed that way. Billions of reproducing, society trained, robotic human life.
“Your duty, your job, your school, your family, your home, your country, your land, yourself!”
Screaming, blithering, shouting, raging, and, yes, we forget, we forget. Sink away into earthly acts, pulled into ourselves, blinded by our own perspective, our own lives. We forget to breathe, forget to remember, forget to think for ourselves. There’s an assignment, a task, a date, an appointment, a meeting, a schedule, an agenda, an itinerary, a program!
Cloistered in our shielding and securing hideouts, withdrawn from the glory surrounding us.
If you’d only open your window and peek your head outside, wherever you are, do it now! Look up! The sky, the clouds, the sun, the moon. Whispering background noise lolling in your head and there’s computers beeping, cars screeching, babies crying, people rushing. See how each ray creates shadows on the ground? Observe the glow of a familiar milky and ivory moon. Or there’s a deadly storm, showering droplets upon droplets of rain down your tired, stretched complexion.
Why are you hiding? Where are you going? What are you doing?
Are you free?
You’re pondering, thinking hard. If you leave now, you’ll miss that phone call, that engagement, that thing…but the air is so tempting, the outside world so appetizing.
You’re on the front of your doorstep, and you’re breathing for the first time in days, months, years. The air, the life you inhale in, has never smelled so substantial, so incarnate, so live. Your ears begin to seek sounds other than those manmade, and you hear the loudness that is what exactly? How did I not hear this before? This unflowing, powerful harmony of pure, untouched life. It is growing out of the grounds we have decimated and deduced to this choked and suffocated state. Wander past the bane you call modernized living. Damn capitalism and it’s banal existence! You follow the cadence to a place of green, blossoming, still life.
You have left the cars behind. Your eyes no longer tear at the smoke that you’ve left behind. You’ve got treetops and sun and open sky. You’ve excepted the fatuous labyrinth of everyday life. You do not lament, you praise! There is a levity in these new surroundings, correct?
This is true beauty. Artists struggle to demonstrate this in moving pictures, written words, songs, and prayer.
But nothing can fully describe this.
And, suddenly, you remember.

© 2008 Louise Whalen


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Excellent! I especially loved the last line. It's so true for all of us. We start to accept the modernities as necessities. It wasn't so long ago that I didn't have a mobile phone or use Internet. Now I couldn't imagine life without them. It may not be too long before we all must live a life without our cars, though ...

Posted 15 Years Ago


Yes! I agree. Tired of that idiot box sitting in front of me night after night. Excellent point made in a poetic form. Almost like a protest. Like you're crying out for humanity to wake up.
I like it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Interesting contrast of our artificial trappings and the sensual bombardment with the more natural and serene plane of life.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
3 Reviews
Added on April 15, 2008
Last Updated on April 15, 2008

Author

Louise Whalen
Louise Whalen

About
I've never been truly successful at writing an about me, and even when I am, I am a feather for each wind that blows. I enjoy writing poetry, my favorite form being the paradelle. I'm also a fan of o.. more..

Writing