Contacting your Potential Employers: Do's and Don'ts

Contacting your Potential Employers: Do's and Don'ts

A Story by leolienjozii
"

In the process of your internship search, there comes a time when you must contact a potential employer. Follow these tips and you'll be called in for an interview in no time!

"

Be Formal

Starting off on the wrong foot is never great - especially when you address someone by the wrong gender, spell their name incorrectly, or forget to include important titles. When first reaching out to potential employers, make sure to stay formal, and write in a business-like manner. This helps you appear professional and lets your potential employers know that you are serious about the position.


Note: You may address your potential employers with “Hello” or less formal greetings only if they responded in the same fashion. If they reply with formality, you should do the same.


Check your Tone

Be courteous, be specific, and be mindful of what you are saying and how you are saying it. Think from the reader’s perspective. They too are busy with appointments and meetings; so don’t make the task of reading emails tougher by filling your message with fluff. Be clear about why you are writing this email, but still be polite with your requests. Try not to bombard your potential employer with excessive amounts of capital letters and exclamation points.


Remember: your writing is a virtual representation of you as a person. Keeping a formal and concise tone will allow you to come across as professional and efficient.


Syntax

It goes without saying that you should always double - even triple - check your writing for syntax and errors before submitting. The same applies for the email you plan to send to your potential employer. Nothing is more irritating than incorrect tenses, missing conjunction words, or sentences that lack structure and fluidity. Being careful and fixing these mistakes shows your potential employer that you are detail oriented and do not allow small oversights to lower the quality of your work.

© 2015 leolienjozii


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on October 21, 2015
Last Updated on October 21, 2015
Tags: Interview, Preperation, Email, Job, Internship

Author

leolienjozii
leolienjozii

New York, NY



About
An aspiring writer hoping to help college students discover their passions, and hone the essential tools needed for job and internship applications. more..

Writing