Qualis Artifex Pereo

Qualis Artifex Pereo

A Poem by peterelbee
"

Fictitious look at the passing of Nero

"

Anatole grabbed the water jug and dutifully handed it to his deeply troubled master.

 

“Most faithful of servants from far distant lands, you do me proud.” spluttered the nefarious Soverign, between gulps.

 

“I do not wish to lose you.”

 

“Grieve not my passing. I have lived a life so full. Today I join with the gods and once again make merry with my hedonic concubine.”

 

“A life too short.”

 

“I must depart lest the senate have me flogged to my demise. Oh what fate must fall on a man so brave who loved and ruled with such compassion.”

 

“They were wrong to doubt your empathy about the fire.”

 

“What sorrow I endured at the Golden Palace, that memorial phoenix risen from Rome’s shimmering embers.”

 

“The ungrateful scoundrels turned on you.”

 

“Kindness begets treachery…but I forgive them. They shall not forget me, my melodies will sound throughout the eons.”

 

“And I shall not forget you, my one true emperor.” 

 

“Nor I you, Anatole . ”

 

Nero sat in deep thought for what seemed an eternity then turned to his loyal servant.  

 

“What an artist the world loses in me.”

 

Seconds later he unsheathed his dagger.

 

© 2010 peterelbee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on August 7, 2010
Last Updated on August 10, 2010

Author

peterelbee
peterelbee

wellington, wellington, New Zealand



About
I have been interested in creative writing for a quite a number of years, mainly writing under the title of mynamelez. I favour writing short stories and flash fictions, but also write the occasion.. more..

Writing