A Wondering Trail

A Wondering Trail

A Story by Malychyte
"

Ever curious what our outcome would be if we were to come face to face with Saint Peter? Let's find out!

"

 I am going to die.
That was the last thing I ever thought about.

Well, that is until I thought, Where am I?
Because I swear I was just in the midst of flying out the front windshield of my old, beat-up Taurus with a splitting headache and three broken ribs. Probably to be expected of hitting a tree at a cruise-controlled 71 miles per hour off the highway. Could it have been about swerving out of the way of something? … A deer? Either way, that's not where I am now. And wherever this is, it needs to seriously dim it's overhead lighting.

I squint against the harsh brightness and look around, trying to discern anything familiar, when I get roughly shoved in the back of my shoulder. I wheel around angrily to confront a colossus of a man with dark glaring eyes staring down at me, his massive hand nearly the size of my head pointing beyond me in the direction I had been facing.
“The line's movin',” he grunts, his voice practically echoing straight through me.

I view back over my shoulder and notice the row of people standing, much like in a line, all adorned with white robes. I hesitate a moment, about to argue with the man about where the heck we even were, but then I realized trying to give the evil eye to a giant is the equivalent to just squinting harder and not looking nearly as intimidating as I'd like to be. So instead, I turn about-face and start over towards the people gathered in single file order. But when I snag the robe I have apparently been wearing underneath my foot, I stumble and faceplant myself into the rather soft ground beneath me.
Cursing a number of bad words under my breath, I struggle to regain some stability as I keep stepping on this darnable bathrobe and falling back down. Then with a mighty yank on the hood of the robe, the ogre-man lifts me up and sets me like a marrionette, finally finding footing. “Might watch what ye' say around here, boy. Could lose you some brownie points.”
I dust myself off from the nonexistent dust, feeling completely embarassed as I finally blurt out, “Well where are we anyway?” Ogre Man responds with a raised eyebrow, “You're kiddin', right?”
Now I really try to glare at him, squinting sinisterly. But after some time of awkward stare-offs, I finally cave in, sighing heavily, “I was kind of hoping this was ALL a joke...” I hike up the bottoms of my robe and begin walking over to the group of people. As I draw closer, my stomach drops and my eyes droop in dismay as I watch the line grow long, winding upward into the clouds above.

“Huh, like a stairway...” Ogre Man muttered behind me.

“What did you say?”
“Er, nothing.”
“Well, I guess they wouldn't allow cutting in line, huh?” I jest, covering up the pit of uneasiness growing in me.

We reach the end of the row and I turn around to look behind Ogre Man to see already a number of stragglers following our suit. Their faces covered in nearly as much confusion as was mine or others that seemed complacent with the new circumstances and simply forming into the end of the line. I mean, why go anywhere else? After all this is judgement. Holy crap, this is really happening!What's going to-
Ehem! E-Excuse me?”
I turn to meet eyes with a scrawny, jittery old man who continued to peered left and right as if something was after him, all the while scratch his arms. Force of habit, I suspected.
“Y-You wouldn't happen to h-h-have any need of assis-sis-stance, would you?” his eyes finally finding mine, almost filled to the brim with tears.
I glance up at Ogre Man for some help of understanding, but he simply shrugged. Some help he is, “Um, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.”

The old man grasps hold of my sleeve with an iron grip, pure fear reverberating through his raspy breaths, “A-A-Anything you need! To help you w-with moving on. Y-You see, I haven't really done much time helping other folk, you know, and if I could get some time in before that, maybe they'll see me in a different light, you know, and so anything you need help with would-.”
“We're dead, pal. There's really nothing you can do for me now...” And that's when it hit me hard, “We're dead,” and I fell to the floor, tears falling in streams that I just couldn't stop. The things I had, the things I could be, my life. Gone. No date Saturday night at the movies with Jennie, no bar-hopping fests with the guys, no mom calling to check up on me, no dad calling to check up on my grades, no little brother graduating in three months from elementary school. It's all just, gone.
And that's when I blacked out...


ESTIMATED 14 YEARS LATER...

“Rock, Paper, Scissors, SHOOT!”
“Gah! That's the fourtieth time you've used Rock in a row!”
“And it's the fourtieth time you've fallen for it, Pauly. What's the score now?”
“You're in the lead, do you need to know more than that?”
I start laughing as the other two look at me sourly. Old Man and Ogre Man have grown on me for this past...I don't know how long, but I am glad to have been stuck between them. They've helped me through a lot of understanding fears.
Pauly was a drug addict who began at the age of 65 due to his wife's sudden death brought on from a cancer the doctors had all missed. He was lost and unsure what was left for him. With his constant ins and outs with the hospital he was able to swipe anything and everything he needed to start his road of hell raising. George, on the other hand, killed a man. He knows it was wrong, but when the guy goes and has an affair with your wife for four and a half years, you find there's a breaking point. But it didn't rest easy with George, and for a long time he felt haunted by his deeds and so finally chose the shortest way out by jumping from the roof of an old motel. He hadn't jumped far enough and smacked into a balcony railing along the way, now leaving him with a constant headache.

And there's me. A kid who hasn't had enough experience in the world to know if he's done right or wrong. Sure, stealing my brother's milk money to buy Cheetos every once in a while was bad, and I've wreaked plenty of havoc on my parents to give them grey hairs, but I've had my share of heartbreaks, tough stuggles through college, and repetitive work. And as much as I could have stewed on these things, I knew that it wasn't up to me but up to someone else.
Paul Haddley,” came a echoing intercom.
We had come to the end of the line. Towering before us, a large skyscraper gleamed with the sunlight radiating off it's dozens of windows, and at the base stood two sliding doors that reached nearly fifteen feet in height. The building itself went farther up into more clouds (and seriously, the amount of clouds I have seen, you'd think we would have gone past all of them by now).
The doors now slowly slid open, revealing a dark hallway within. We had watched this atleast a million times since the skyscraper appeared in our view, but it was still terrifying to watch people go through, and now it was Pauly's turn to enter. He shuffles forward slightly, looking back at us with a nervous smile, “See you guys on whichever side, I guess.” And then he had made his way in, the doors sliding slowly closed and coming together with an ominous clang.

I gulp and in that instant the intercom came booming in my ears the name I wasn't ready to hear yet. My name. I look to George but he nods solemnly and urges me forward, like he had the first time I came to this place. That made me smile and I nod back to him, falling into a slow stride toward the doors that were gradually parting to make way for me. Each step seemed to be with the beating of my heart and as it sped up, so did my feet. Before I knew it, I was running headlong into the tower, past the giant doors and down the long hallway. I wanted this over with. Give me love or give me pain, I wanted to feel something, and I was tired of standing around to find out which.
At the end of the hallway there's a flashing green arrow pointing to my right and I follow it around a corner and into a large office area, where men and women are sitting at desks and typing out paperwork or sifting through documents on computers. I come racing through the aisleways, papers scattering after me and I hurtle over a woman's table causing a loud scream to shriek throughout the spacious workplace. I laugh heartily as I see the larger office at the back of the room and the name printed in fine black letters upon the door:


Judgement Officer

St.

Simon Peter


I rush the door, ready to simply barrel into it, might as well make an entrance for my trial. But just before reaching it, the door opens on it's own and I go flying through it and smack into the wall across the other side of the office. After catching myself on the hardwood floor, I look up to see an elderly fellow closing the door behind him. He looks down at me through his small half moon spectacles as he pulls out a pocketwatch from his waistcoat pocket.
“Well, Mr. Elden,” he checks the watch, “You're right on time. Please, if you would prefer a seat, there is one here in front of my desk.”
I grumble as I shift my robes from getting under my feet so I can stand up. I walk over and sit in the suprisingly comfy chair and realize, I haven't sat since I came across the line that I waited forever in. And sitting felt great.
“Now, there's a set of questions I must work through with you and then we can let you be on your way,” the man scratches at his scruffy beard as he sits down behind his large desk, looking up to me quizzically, “I'm guessing you already figured that, eh?”
He stole the words right out of my mouth, “eh-er...yeah.”

Smiling widely he shifts his gaze to the paperwork splayed out before him. He sorts through a few of them before clearing his throat and reading off a small parchment, “Marcel Elden, this is your name, correct?”

“Yes.”

“Do you feel like your life was fulfilling?”

“No.”
“Heh, I suppose not, being only at 26 of age,” he looks up to see my nonchalant expression and returned to his questions, clearly his throat once more, “Did you enjoy your life?”

“...Yes.”

“Do you have any regrets?”
“Doesn't everyone?”

“True enough. Now, last question. Do you believe you deserve to go to Heaven?”
“...What?”
“Do you believe you deserve to go to Heaven?”
“I...I don't know,” I stutter. The man across from me lifts his head, peering over his glasses and giving me a questioning look. I become infuriated, “Now wait just a second. I've waited patiently for God literally knows how long to be judged on my life experiences and choices so that I either can or can NOT get into Heaven. And now you are asking me what
I think? What does it matter what I think?!”
The man wrinkles his forehead and rubs the bridge of his nose before scooping up all the paperwork and taps it on the desk to make it into a neat pile, “Well, son, I'm sorry to say this but it seems...” He goes and opens a book that sat next to his right hand. It's hollowed in the middle, replaced with a small red button in the center. He presses it and continues, “...that you are going to need more time to extrapolate on things.”
The chair beneath me shudders and I feel myself falling as I call out to him, “Wait, just hold on!”

“You should be ready by the time you float on back, Mr. Elden. Until such time, stay safe, and farewell,” the man had gotten up and walked to the edge of the trap door as I continue to fall into darkness, shouting at the top of my lungs. The chair suddenly stops, set perfectly into some sort of strange contraption that was cold iron to the touch. Then, with a loud click and a grinding noise, the contraption launched me off and out in a flurry of bright light...



AT THAT VERY MOMENT, ON EARTH...

A young girl sat in her window, staring up at the night sky. Her parents had just gotten into another argument and shouting and yelling came drifting up through the floorboards in her bedroom. She was crying, covering her ears, hoping it would all just go away. She knew she shouldn't have gotten into the cookie jar, but she didn't think that it would create such a disaster within the house. She blinked wearily up at the stars, when one swiftly shot across the sky in a twinkling blaze. She knew these were called shooting stars, and that you could wish upon one of them for your dreams to come true. She stared after it, clamping her hands together and wishing, with all her might, that Heaven would forgive her for her mistake this night...

© 2014 Malychyte


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on December 2, 2013
Last Updated on January 22, 2014

Author

Malychyte
Malychyte

Kalamazoo, MI



About
Hi! I'm a 25 yr old aspiring writer, trying to run away from my strenuous day-job and the thought of writing just excites me! I normally follow a formula of having tons of characters so you can atleas.. more..

Writing
Eyes Eyes

A Poem by Malychyte


Storm Storm

A Story by Malychyte