Heaven

Heaven

A Poem by Donald Meikle

She bends in her garden gathering weeds as I watch wistful.


With fear of nagging pain, where I to try a fistful.


We two search for asparagus sprigs hiding in the milkweeds finding six to join 


yesterday's on the kitchen counter.


The milkweeds are safe because the bees must survive and need them so.


when they blossom.


The last sprig broke twice as I picked it and an inch of it melted in my teeth sweetly


There is something gently beautiful about gardening that I have learned from her.


How could I not, being surrounded by her sowing, and the senses so embroiled in 


the wake of her. Poppies picked from Mannheim, flowers I still cannot name, 


Tomatoes everywhere, Chocolate mint, Five or ten different kinds of basil.


She roasted radishes the other day for the first timeI could eat them with every meal 


forever.


I read of other poets' mates loss and shiver with dread.


I've written enough and must leave to join her.

© 2014 Donald Meikle


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Heaven indeed. Love, peace and contentment in companionship is writ large in this lovely poem.

Much enjoyed.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


You have described the bliss, the joy of Heaven indeed. Can it get any better than what you have written here.. I didn't want your words to end..extremely beautifully told..

Posted 9 Years Ago


How very beautiful is this write, the two of you to-do-dling around the garden, paints a beautiful picture, all couples should be this blessed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is beautiful verse celebrating the preciousness and precariousness of the paradise created by two lovers. The sequel, of course, is of Adam and Eve cast out of their garden, but we enjoy it while we can.

Posted 9 Years Ago


The was so tactile I felt my fingers in the earth...the smells ...the tastes.....the love. The last line bathed in truth was indeed precious. Well done my friend.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

349 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 1, 2014
Last Updated on July 1, 2014

Author

Donald Meikle
Donald Meikle

Halifax, MA



About
Liverpool born,USNavy vet. Enjoying first marriage. three daughters, (two bathrooms) one until they left. (a tree that loves me) Poet thru geneology) Scot Irish. Living in New England more..

Writing