4th of July

4th of July

A Story by Lindsey
"

A moment to think about the holiday that acknowledges our freedom

"

Every year, we attend a 3rd of July party. There’s bags, ping pong, booze, a bouncy house, and a ton of other games. The party goes on all night. But once the clock hits 9:30, everyone is already in their seats, or on a blanket in the grass, still talking and laughing in the dark.

 

Then all of a sudden the first flare is sent into the sky, and the show begins. In that moment, everyone from the age of 2-92 that is at the party shuts up, and looks up at the bright lights in the night sky. In that moment, you feel the innocence in the air. It brings you back to the time when you were 5 years old, and look forward to the fourth of July for the hot dogs and fireworks. You knew that as soon as they ended, it would be time for bed, however that was the highlight of the summer. Fireworks. They let you escape from everything around you and send you back to your childhood.

 

Staring at the sky on that beautiful starlit night made me realize that there can still be positive views of the world. Once a year the citizens across the United States celebrate the birth of our country, and no matter where you’re watching from, a majority of the country spend some part of their night staring at the night sky, forgetting the problems they have encountered, and the challenges they will face in the near future. In that moment, the world stops, and we just get to look up and appreciate all that we have, and that, we can count on the 4th of July once a year, to be a time for us to go back to our childhood and remember how we got to where we are, and how every moment influenced us to be where we are now.

© 2016 Lindsey


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on July 9, 2016
Last Updated on July 9, 2016
Tags: 4th of july, holiday, childhood, life

Author

Lindsey
Lindsey

Chicago, IL



About
I love softball, bowling and math. And somehow, I always find myself writing. more..