"Piggy Bank"

"Piggy Bank"

A Story by A. Jewel
"

Lucinda broke every single piggy bank in the house but not for the money inside.

"

 

 “Piggy Bank"

 

She had just smashed every single piggy bank in the house, but not for the money inside. 

----

As long as Lucinda could remember, her favorite thing in life was to receive some change from her grandfather.  She could remember the sound of his pants swishing and coins loosely jingling in his pockets.  The sound was melodic.  Cling, clang, clingety, clang. She would pop her fingers as if to her favorite song. 

It was Lucinda’s 5th birthday and though she was expecting a big party with lots of over-indulgent presents, the one she looked forward to most was the one deeply snuggled in Grandpa Joe’s pocket.

“Lucinda!  Grandpa Joe’s here!”

She could still hear her mother call her name and announce his arrival.  Lucinda flung open her bedroom door, soared down the hallway and straight into Grandpa Joe’s arms. 

“Hey, baby!  You been a good girl this year?”  Grandpa Joe asked.

“Yes, Grandpa!”

“Okay then.  I might have something for you.”

 

Grandpa Joe dug deep into his grey slacks pockets, sending the contents into frenzy, while Lucinda waited, bright eyed and all smiles. 

 

“Uh oh!  What is this I have?”  Grandpa Joe always asked as if Lucinda didn’t know what was to come.

“What Grandpa?  What is it?”  Lucinda would enthusiastically shout out, humoring Grandpa Joe.  It was their own secret language that the two of them treasured.

“Now hold out your hands.”  Grandpa instructed.

 

Lucinda stretched her long arms straight out with her palms open wide.

 

“Five quarters, for five of the best years of my life!”  Grandpa placed one quarter at a time into Lucinda’s tiny hands.

“Happy Birthday, baby!”

“Thank you, Grandpa!  I love you so much!”  Lucinda said and threw her arms around Grandpa Joe.  He was the greatest man in the whole wide world in her eyes.

 

She could remember that 5th birthday like it was yesterday. 

Every birthday and holiday was the same.  Anticipation of Grandpa Joe, musical coins echoing through the halls, interior pockets rearranged, money placed in Lucinda’s tiny hands (which became beautifully manicured 35 year old hands) and the warmest embrace, filling Lucinda with such love and adoration.

 

There was no one like Grandpa Joe. 

He aged gracefully over the years.  Smooth jet black hair turned to wavy strands in a sea of silver.  His upright, confident stride became slow and dependent on a cane.  The loose change turned to $20 bills then $100 bills.  But Grandpa Joe’s enthusiasm and love for Lucinda never changed. 

-----

Lucinda’s telephone rang.  She answered.  Silence on the other end.

 

“Hello?  Hello?  Who is this?” Lucinda questioned.

 

“Hey, sweetie.”

 

“Hi, Mom.  What’s up?”

 

“Baby, you better sit down.”

 

“Mom what’s wrong?”

 

“I’m sorry to tell you this baby but Grandpa Joe had a heart attack this morning.”

 

“What?!  Is he okay?”

 

“No, honey.  He passed away at the hospital.”

 

Lucinda dropped the phone.  It was the worse news she had ever heard in her life.  

 

“Hello?  Hello?” Lucinda could faintly hear her mother say from the receiver lying on the floor.

 

All Lucinda could think about was the piggy banks she had filled over the years with Grandpa Joe’s change, with Grandpa Joe’s love, with Grandpa Joe’s memories. 

What would she do without Grandpa Joe’s hugs? 

Lucinda didn’t think.  She ran to her hallway closet, pulled open the door, grabbed the hammer and went on a rampage destroying all of her piggy banks in the house. Lucinda didn’t want the money inside … she wanted Grandpa Joe back.

 

Written By: N.J. Williams

 

 

 

 

© 2009 A. Jewel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aww, that's just so sad, but awesome job!! I really loved it.

But, I think you could use less of 'Grandpa Joe', because his name is repeated quite a lot. With only 3 characters, you could easily just use 'he' or something...

=)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
Added on October 9, 2009
Last Updated on October 9, 2009

Author

A. Jewel
A. Jewel

Los Angeles, CA



Writing