Dear Dawn

Dear Dawn

A Story by The Duke
"

A love letter written aboard the USS Oklahoma City CG-5 on January 14, 1977 at age 21. Learning that love doesn't always love you back. I never mailed this letter, but today, I mail it to you.

"

Dear Dawn,

    Excuse the poor quality writing paper but when you write as infrequently as I do, stationary, is not a part of your shopping list. How are things with you? I hope that whatever is happening, you're smiling, because that at the very least means, you are dealing with it. 

    My ship is finally closing in on The Philippines and it feels fantastic to have a clear sun-filled day on the ocean, as a wecomed change, from the harsh cold of Yokosuka. I know the "hawk" is heavily paroling the Yokosuka area and I hope thw warm thoughts I have of you as I write will help keep him off you! I have been thinking about you quite a bit lately, which, is why today, I had to write.

    It must be something about that smooth chocolate skin of yours and those large, innocent eyes that drives me crazy with the mystery of you. Whatever, it is, I like it and I am going to let you know it even when I'm not around to do anything about it. You know I'm aware that you have someone right now to occupy your time so I'm writing you this letter so I can at least, occupy your mind.

    You and I have talked very little, but, somehow I feel I know a lot about you. Atleast, enough to want to know more. We seem to be looking for the same types of things, especially, a purpose. Something, or someone, that makes all the heartach and lonliness, worthwhile. Someone to believe in and to be understood by. Someone to trust and especially, to love. A love that reaches the innermost parts of your soul and blossums into the fullness of life's purpose.

    Is all of this impossible? Am I just a hopeless romantic, searching for something that doesn't even exist? Sometimes I think so, but when I see you, the intelligent, beautiful, sensual, womanly being that you are, my faith is restored and the chance of love becomes a possibility, once again.

    So, sweet lady, as I end this letter, I just want to say, I know you may have already found the love that you've been searching for and if that is so, I wish you all the happiness that it will bring. For you already have a special place in my heart and even if I can't have you as my true love, I've learned that true love really does exist. ...(that just Dawn-ed on me! Forever yours, vic

 

 

 

   

 

 

 

© 2012 The Duke


Author's Note

The Duke
raw, youthful, optimistic, full of fear.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on January 6, 2012
Last Updated on January 6, 2012

Author

The Duke
The Duke

Saint Louis, MO



About
Actor, Director, Writer, Poet. more..

Writing
The Dilemma The Dilemma

A Poem by The Duke


Destiny Destiny

A Poem by The Duke