Track Champion Part III

Track Champion Part III

A Story by allonsy_doctor
"

The third and second-to-last installment in the "Track Champion" saga. The big race. And a secret is revealed...

"

When you start a race, you run. Well, at least that’s the sensible thing to do. By cause of estimation, at least 100% of the people who won started off a race running. So that’s what I did.

Nick was NOT in the lead. He was NEXT to me. As I ran, I swore I saw him try to trip me.

I HATE that kid.

Raphael was beside me, too. He was running faster than Nick, but I was faster than him. Ana seemed interested in my feet, for she stayed behind me the whole time when she could have caught up long ago. Ah, reminiscent memories! I remember the first race I ran and won. The “tryout for Cross Country” race that had made me a prototype runner.

Back to the race! My lucky scarf that, to everyone else, was obsolete, flagged in the wind. It was inevitable that I was in the lead. Well, maybe not. Then, something REALLY surprised me. Ricky raced ahead of me! Thank God I wasn’t using any of my strength to run, for I just lightly passed him. Drained of strength, I slowed a bit, to catch my breath. I was well ahead of everyone, so it was not a problem for me. I could stop and drain a huge glass of cold water and still catch up and win. My legs were like a nonstop machine. They were screaming to go faster. I obeyed my legs. I rocketed forward toward the disease-filled crowd and shot past them. I was like a hummingbird on legs. Boy, that vegetable drink sure worked it’s magic!

Technology was of a vast importance to this race. I kept glancing down at my watch to check my time. I’d run this race limit fourteen times before. I came here all the time to practice. The idea to practice came from the jealousy that had developed while watching Raphael run around this wide ring. My highest time is 1 minute and 4 seconds. Raphael ran the same place and got 2 minutes and 14 seconds as his highest. Maybe I could beat my highest time running the actual Championship race! And so, without technology, this thought would not matter to me.

As an afterthought, I realized that I should have stretched that split longer than being “Ms. Genius” and not splitting. It was subtle mistake, but it affected my aching legs a lot. With a little bit of guidance from the flag poles that guided my way through the track, I surged forward. The scenic view of the rest of the park that surrounded the Cross Country Arena affected my sensitive inside. I began to sob again. As a descendant of the original Diana Songbird (I am Diana Songbird Jr.), I was extremely emotional when the biggest thing that had ever happened to me is happening. In elementary school, when I first started Cross Country, I never thought I’d be here.

“Constraint! That’s it!” exclaimed Ana. She remembered her last spelling word that she was supposed to study this week. She had to write it down and study it as soon as she got home. It was her business, but I often was curious.

The pavement kissed my feet as I passed another flagpole. This was the last lap. This was it. Of course, this was NOT the last race I would ever run. If me saying that this was the last race would fascinate you, then too bad. You’re just weird if you say that.

I apologize to anyone whom I yelled at them that I was bad at racing. I am totally NOT. Not to brag, though.

The suspense built as Raphael neared me. He showed no actions of letting me win. He flashed me a white smile that tingled with happiness. “Hey.” I greeted, breathlessly. He smiled again, and surged past me.

I was not going to let THAT happen.

I flung all my strength forward and was foot to foot with Raphael. It was like making a dangerous descent as I gave myself that one, last shove. I pressed into the ribbon, but I was first.

I had won.

As I entered the ribbon line, I cried and asked myself, “Do I deserve this? Am I a Champion?”

I answer myself. Yes.

Yes I am.

 

There were two mysterious characters with sunglasses on in the crowd. They were watching me. They pulled out their cell phones and whispered, “She’s the one.” into them.

I think they meant me.

 

To Be Continued…

© 2009 allonsy_doctor


Author's Note

allonsy_doctor
;) This is the race my readers have been waiting for. Are you on the edge of your seat??

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 3, 2009

Author

allonsy_doctor
allonsy_doctor

In the TARDIS



About
Ello. My name is Olivia, but I am most commonly called Liv. I have changed quite a bit since our last encounter, in which I was obsessed with Heroes and JP. Now I am totally and uncontrollably in l.. more..

Writing
CHAPTER 1 CHAPTER 1

A Chapter by allonsy_doctor