Locksmith Scam Alert – How to Avoid a Locksmith Fraud

Locksmith Scam Alert – How to Avoid a Locksmith Fraud

A Story by Lock and Smith Inc

Locksmithing has been around for ages because locksmith services are of great importance. While locksmith services are sometimes underestimated, the value of a locksmith comes to surface when you’re locked out of home, or have a car key stuck in the ignition, or have a broken key stuck in the lock that wouldn’t budge, etc. 


It is true that the need for residential and commercial locksmiths does arise often, especially in homes. For the same reason, many con locksmiths pretend to work as professionals but are up to no good. Locksmith frauds are common and leave the victims scared and traumatized. Therefore, to ensure you allow entry to the right person who is reliable, trustworthy and is purely working to provide services, you must beware of the following:


1. Call centers

Whether you look up online on different websites or thoroughly look at the yellow pages, classifieds, etc., you’ll find a huge list of locksmiths. However, the trouble is when you contact these so called locksmith companies, they redirect you to call centers that provided you contacts of con locksmiths who can rip you off your hard earned money.


Tip: a reputable locksmith company will always give its direct address and contact details. The number you call should be answered by a company representative, and not a call center.


2. Cash before service

A sure sign of a locksmith scam is when they ask for cash before they come in for service. All fraudulent services providers will ask for a lump sum amount before they come in for lock cutting or lock repair or any other service. Once you give them the cash, they will leave without completing the job, or even if they do finish it, it will be a poorly done one.


Tip: Call it quits when you find a service provider that asks for service charges before anything else. A reputable service provider will always ensure your satisfaction with the work before asking for payment or charges.


3. No legitimate business address

Most con service providers show an address that is of not a legitimate workplace or shop but of an empty lot or parking area. Don’t be surprised when you go looking around for the company office and find nothing but a park or an empty plot.


Tip: before you sign a contract or hire a service provider, go an extra mile one of the days and check out their location. A reputable locksmith will have all the right business contact information from phone number, location address, website, etc.


4. Regular automobiles

A con locksmith is likely to arrive in a car that doesn’t display the company name and other details on it. That is one of the biggest signs to identify a fraud. Once you notice this, it’s good to politely refuse service.


Tip: a reliable and trustworthy service provider will arrive in a vehicle that features the company name and number. So beware and do not allow entry to anyone who appears to be suspicious.


5. Hidden Charges

If you haven’t been able to detect a fraud with all other points, the final invoice or check can work as the biggest identifier of a scam. Fake locksmith service providers will always include hidden charges that weren’t clarified in advance. Also, if the bill doesn’t match the initial quote, there’s definitely something fishy. 


Tip: ask for an invoice of bills, services, and other purchases before you transfer the money. This will keep you away from being a victim of a scam.

© 2014 Lock and Smith Inc


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on December 5, 2014
Last Updated on December 5, 2014
Tags: Locksmith, Scam Alert, Car locksmith

Author

Lock and Smith Inc
Lock and Smith Inc

Hamilton, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
Lock & Smith Inc. offers residential, commercial and automotive locksmith services in Central Jersey, Hamilton Township, Princeton, and surrounding areas. Feel free to contact us on 267-620-6357 or vi.. more..