Hunter and Luca

Hunter and Luca

A Story by lookup
"

Hunter's best friend is dealing with a breakup. Regardless of his attempts to reassure his friend that life goes on, he manages to royally screw up everything.

"

            “I’ve never seen him this bad” Max seemed to sympathize as he shuffled through his pockets to find the key to our apartment. He looked back at me before pressing the key into the slot to open the door, “Just, be gentle on him”.

            “There is absolutely no way that Theodore, our Theo, could be that torn up over anyone. You’re talking about the same the same sly a*****e we met in Maui. You do remember that trip, don’t you?”

            “I know, I know dude” Max pulled his hand from the knob and grabbed my shoulder, emphasizing the importance of his next few words, “This girl, this random chick, took our Theo and crushed him. You’ve been gone; seven months can change a lot of things. Do not underestimate the situation. I’ve been trying for a solid month to get our boy going again” He released my arm and shook his head. I realized how lost Max was, “I just don’t know man.” Poor guy.

            “Okay, okay. Seems like you’re in over your head” I guess it really could be that bad. Max had never dealt with someone in post-breakup depression, “On a scale of one to Katie, part one of course, how bad are we talking?”

            “Seriously, you gotta bring her up every time? We’re back together by the way so you might wanna cool it for a little while.” He turned to open the door pausing for a slight second before doing so, “But, all jokes aside, it’s a solid Katie situation, probably worse.” My jaw dropped slightly. Katie and Max had been dating since their freshman year at UT. She dumped him out of the blue a year after graduation. Max didn’t leave his bedroom for three days. Not once. Theo and I had to pull him out because his room was starting to reek of sweat and Chinese takeout. The second and third time weren’t nearly as bad, but you really get to know a guy when they spend the night on your floor crying because they don’t want to be alone. Unfortunately for Theo I had just left once part four reared its ugly head.

            “I don’t know dude. Theo’s a little less, well…you.”

            “Oh f**k you dude” Max jabbed my arm, “It was one f*****g time. You offered and I will deny that to my grave.” He turned back to the door, “Besides, Katie says sensitivity is a rare trait.”

            Max shoved the door open and helped me pull in my luggage, “Theo we’re back!” I looked around the apartment. Everything seemed fine. Seemed like the housekeeping service had still been paying their twice-weekly visits. Max would somehow manage to trash the house while in mental breakdown mode.

            “Theodore Drake Walters get your a*s out here and say hello!” Max jabbed me in the ribs as hard as he could. “Ow, what the hell was that for?” His eyes bulged as he placed his finger over his lips telling me to keep it down. “What is he some type of softy now? I think you get to know a person after nine years.” As the words left my mouth an aged, grungy figure began to hobble into the room.

            “You talking about me?” His voice was small and shaky. A grizzly beard that ate away his sharp features consumed his faced. His eyes, hidden behind shaggy yellow locks, glazed over, seeming dull and spacey. Under his beaten up shirt I could see the outline of a brand new beer gut. Since when did Theo Walters look like an unemployed plumber?

            “Hey bud! Hunter and I were just talking about how glad he is to be coming home after all this time.” Max’s tone was sharp as he death stared me. I realized I was gaping at Theo, eyes bulging. I clenched my jaw and tried to smile. Max seemed so helpless. He’d always been the one who was broken and never learned how to handle a friend through a breakup. Well one thing’s for sure, tiptoeing around isn’t going to do jack.

© 2014 lookup


Author's Note

lookup
Let me know if anyone thinks I should keep going

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on January 27, 2014
Last Updated on January 27, 2014
Tags: romance, love, couples, creative writing

Author

lookup
lookup

TX



About
I have no idea who I actually am as a person, or who I want to be. They really should name this stage in your life. It's not midlife crisis but I think it really is more crucial. more..

Writing