A Valuable Lesson

A Valuable Lesson

A Story by loom
"

I learnt a valuable life lesson today, and so in the spirit of communal betterment, I shall share it.

"
A Valuable Lesson
I was in an uncharacteristically adventurous mood on my return from work this afternoon. Normally I consider the mundanities of life on such a journey, including rivetting topics ranging from such disparate categories as what jumper I shall attire myself in the next day, to whether I should wear a jumper at all. Typically due to my mind being somewhat sharper than your average individual, these thoughts will then lead me onto considering the weather and how temperate the climate is likely to be based on recent meteorological trends. 
Not today however. Today I was going to leave my brain free to meander onto a topic of its choice, to tackle the moral issues of our society, and dare I say it, to construct a new world order. Today was the day my larger than average intelligence was going to come to fruition. Not for me. But for the good of humanity.
Unfortunately for humanity however, my journey is somewhat temporally challenged, and ten minutes, although usually adequate for considering my wardrobe, would be cutting it a little fine to really nail down the more intricate details of a new political system. So instead I took the pertinent decision to decide how I would cook a potato I had at home for my evening meal. A topic equally as valid for the use of my upstairs assets I believe. And one I investigated thoroughly.
After much deliberation I opted for the baked method, and on my return proceeded to use my previous thorough thought processes to seamlessly move the potato from its packaging into the oven. 
And then I waited. For about ten minutes. Potatoes aren't great after ten minutes, but the excitement of seeing the fruition of my laborious preparation overtook me. I regretted it. I vowed never to have a potato again. Potatoes clearly aren't a thinking mans root of choice.
But then a realisation dawned. A thought necessarily needs to be followed by the right action. You need to follow through, and exhibit the patience required to yield the enjoyment from your harvest. And in this moment my years passed sprung to mind. My raw discarded potato was just another item in a long list of half-baked (deliberate) relics which started with a thought and ended with an attic. A telescope with no astronomer, a bike with no rider, an accordion with no player, and a potato with no eater.
Perhaps I shall stick to considering what jumper to wear on tomorrows journey. 

© 2013 loom


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Excellent, sort of reminds me of Erma Bombeck, if you remember her.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Added on November 5, 2013
Last Updated on November 5, 2013

Author

loom
loom

United Kingdom



Writing
Ribena Ribena

A Story by loom


Papier Mache Papier Mache

A Story by loom