The Knight Before Christmas

The Knight Before Christmas

A Story by Randy Richardson
"

(*This is a work of fiction, but is based on a lot of true (k)nighttime stories that have been read.)

"

“’Twas the night before Christmas…”

 

“Why ’twas?” the boy interrupts, brows curled.

 

“It’s a contraction,” the boy's dad dutifully explains, “for it was.”

 

“Mommy had contractions before I was born?”

 

“Yes, but, no. This is a different kind of contraction. You take two words – it and was – and you splice them together.”

 

“I don’t like spices.”

 

“Not spice – splice.”

“Huh?”

 

“Let’s try this again. It was the night before Christmas…”

 

“Why is the knight before Christmas?”

 

“That’s just how the story starts. It’s the introduction, like once upon a time.”

 

The boy studies the page of the book with the meticulous eye of a seasoned “I Spy” reader. “No, the knight – where’s the knight?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“The knight before Christmas.”

 

“I don’t understand.”

 

“No, you said, ‘It was the knight before Christmas?’ Where’s the knight?”

 

“You mean like a knight with armor and a sword?”

 

The boy nods, as if his point is obvious and his dad a dunderhead. “Uh-huh.”

 

“It’s not that kind of knight.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“It’s night, as in sleepy-time. Like right now, outside, it’s night. The moon’s out –”

 

“No, I want a story about a knight!”

 

“I thought you wanted a story about Christmas?”

 

“No, I want a knight story.”

 

“That’s not what –”

 

“A knight story, Daddy.”

 

The boy's dad knows he is beaten. He closes the book, reaches for another, and opens it to the first page.

 

“Once upon a time, there was castle called Camelot…”

 

© 2008 Randy Richardson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hysterical! Kids are so funny and so much fun. I love the interaction between the boy and his son. We parents never do win, do we? Loved it!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I adore this! I work with four and five year olds as a teacher and this story reminds me of them a lot. It made me smile. And for all the "interruptions", it flowed extremely well.

Posted 17 Years Ago


4 snaps

Posted 17 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

Randy Richardson
Randy Richardson

Evanston, IL



About
An attorney and former journalist, I am president of the Chicago Writers Association. My fiction debut, LOST IN THE IVY, a murder mystery set against the backdrop of Chicago's storied Wrigley Field, w.. more..

Writing