The Word Girl

The Word Girl

A Story by l.s.
"

Flash fiction about a novelist falling in love!

"

This was it. This was love. I stared at the screen of my computer, breathing shallowly, yet quickly. My  glands produced insane amounts of that glorious hormone, adrenaline, and my heart furiously beat the flood it infected through my narrow veins. The words had formed on the page to create a beautiful maiden: auburn hair, a sprinkling of delicate freckles, and though it was rather cliché �" pallor as pure as snow and as precious as white gold. I had spent my days underneath a dark cloud until then and now the sky of my mind was clear, yet crystalline droplets of rain adorned my rugged parka as I stepped out into the street of the real world. It was a cloudy autumn day and my heart thumped relentlessly, filled with affection. I thrust my typing-calloused hands into my pockets and began to walk in somewhat of a daze, eyes darting around, waiting to see my beloved word girl. But she was fiction, a figment of a desperately lonely imagination. My eyes flickered over the window of a flower shop and I stopped. I stood silent, still and struggled for breath. An auburn-haired, pale-skinned girl of twenty or so served an old couple, smiling as she passed them a bunch of red roses. I was wrong. Words could not overcome flesh, as was discovered by every great writer, and this girl meant so much more to me than the word girl. More than any girl. 

© 2014 l.s.


Author's Note

l.s.
how could I expand it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on June 22, 2014
Last Updated on June 22, 2014
Tags: flash fiction, novelist, love, word, girl

Author

l.s.
l.s.

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom



About
Failed blogger & aspiring poet. Lover of Nietzsche, Sartre and existentialism. Collector of teapots and tattoos. Currently reading: Stoner by John Williams, Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre. Curren.. more..

Writing
Malcolm Winters Malcolm Winters

A Story by l.s.