My Brutalist Fortress

My Brutalist Fortress

A Poem by Amadeus the Loveless
"

Ever gotten too good at protecting yourself from others? You may relate to me here!

"
Yesterday morning I talked to my mother about self-preservation. I told her it protected me so well I would've been left in a white foam box had I not felt the walls creeping in. I told her how I must bleed, let others cut me, let others see me bleed. The best gift I could give them all is my humanity. But I failed to notice how my sibling did it, and how my mother had done it her entire life as well.


This morning, I lived life normally. Following that planner, ticking off those boxes in a dopamine-fueled frenzy. I washed my hair, felt clean for the first time in a while, and then took that drive to class. Once there, I sat down near the same group of people I did every Monday through Thursday. After a while of talking with my classmates, I bring up my sibling, and one of them says,


"I thought you were an only child!"


After class I quizzed my classmates, asking what about me made them think that way. They told me I rarely brought up my family. I could've been an orphan for all they knew. They told me I was serious, professional; they told me my feelings were strong. They admired how reserved I was. They brought me back to my conversation with my mother. How I self-preserve. How I defend my mind and spirit with brutalist walls. Selling my soul for the illusion of peace. Because with every comment on my personhood I add more concrete around me. 


I realized the box stopped being made out of foam. I realized no one has truly stepped into my inner world. No other has felt my unrest, Gemini moon. Could I hope anyone would try it soon?


But hey, at least they also told me I'm full of surprises.


Amadeus the Loveless
March 28, 2023

© 2023 Amadeus the Loveless


Author's Note

Amadeus the Loveless
According to them, being reserved is a good thing. I'm left here wondering how people manage to say all the thousands of things they do while I don't. I self-preserve in part because I naturally don't bring up my family often (don't get me wrong, I love my nuclear family) and also because I'm queer. One can't afford to be an open book these days. Its also why I'm here using an alias!

I'm enjoying playing around with prose poems. Their hybrid nature struck a chord in me. I hope you enjoy reading me!

Amadeus x

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
M
I think just about everyone has walls in place to protect themselves from one thing or another. Self preservation is an instinctual response, especially so today where bullying, trolling, racism, sexism etc etc etc is so prevalent. In some ways I feel sharing your prose or poems with the world, even behind a pseudonym, is sharing a little of yourself and taking a brick out of your wall. Sharing things with like minded people can only be good for the esteem and the soul.

I saw this prose sitting all alone here, so I decided to read and share my thoughts. It's nice to read some prose for a change! I enjoyed your words and the things you have shared.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amadeus the Loveless

1 Year Ago

I agree! There's always a part of us we don't share with the world, and that's alright, we don't nee.. read more



Reviews

I relate to your experiences deeply myself having suffered from late onset Asperger's Syndrome myself and which kind of makes me live in isolation with very few people that I trust. I abhor social interaction and too much attention makes me run away. Sometimes, its a struggle and a chore to get on with people. I wish I could retreat to a corner and never need to emerge and deal with people again. People who are different tend to understand each other and I'd just tell you to think of yourself as just yourself. You are you and you are what you are. There is nothing like queer, creepy, crazy weird. These are labels created by people when they do not understand or just don't want to. So just be yourself and have a blast. Those who love you will do so regardless.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amadeus the Loveless

1 Year Ago

I agree with you, at times I'd prefer keeping interactions as emotionally distant as possible, espec.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

It was a pleasure. Thank you so much.
Your thoughts are well constructed, and I think a way of revealing more about yourself. It's your way of opening up without having to do so in person. Self-preservation is normal. Just be sure that you don't build your walls too high. It will keep anyone from getting in.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amadeus the Loveless

1 Year Ago

Thank you! You're right, it's much less confrontational this way.

Checking the walls.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
M
I think just about everyone has walls in place to protect themselves from one thing or another. Self preservation is an instinctual response, especially so today where bullying, trolling, racism, sexism etc etc etc is so prevalent. In some ways I feel sharing your prose or poems with the world, even behind a pseudonym, is sharing a little of yourself and taking a brick out of your wall. Sharing things with like minded people can only be good for the esteem and the soul.

I saw this prose sitting all alone here, so I decided to read and share my thoughts. It's nice to read some prose for a change! I enjoyed your words and the things you have shared.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amadeus the Loveless

1 Year Ago

I agree! There's always a part of us we don't share with the world, and that's alright, we don't nee.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 29, 2023
Last Updated on March 29, 2023
Tags: prosepoem, poem, life, beyourself, truetoyourself, authenticity, brutalism

Author

Amadeus the Loveless
Amadeus the Loveless

Puerto Rico



About
I write about the price I paid to be me, my daily battles, and about being a social being among social beings. Excited to read you all's writings! I am queer in every sense of the word, and a proud.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..