Him

Him

A Story by lovelyremains
"

His plainness was beauty to my eyes.

"

I couldn’t take my eyes off of him.


Why, I did not know. There was nothing peculiar about him, nothing strange or different or frightening. He was simple. Plain. Like all the other people mingling and chattering and brushing past us. And yet he wasn’t.


Tousled hair, dewy lips, sleepy eyes atop a crooked nose. A cup of coffee wrapped between bronzed hands. Worn tennis shoes, ripped jeans, a hoodie slipping dangerously low over pointy collarbones. The lips I had traced nearly fifty times over by now quirked, and something akin to happiness flashed in those droopy eyes. He called out, and I wish I could’ve heard his voice but the denseness of the crowd drowned out the imperceptible sound. I decided that it would’ve sounded like birdsong.  


A girl. She pushed past the crowd with a toss of black curls and laughed as her hand came to rest on his arm. I saw flashes of pink nails that my mind morphed into bloody claws. Her laughter carried over even the bustling crowd and I scrunched my nose in distaste. What business had she to disrupt the beautiful scenery that had been laid before me? Supple brown skin was tumbling out of tiny blue shorts and the sheer white top left nothing to the imagination. She was bright despite the darkness of her hair and the midnight pools that were her eyes. Even from here I could see a ring in her belly, big and brilliant and glowing hot like the center of the universe. Men and boys all the same turned heads or stole glances as they wandered past. No one paid attention to the plain boy with plain hair and plain eyes and plain lips. Nobody but me.


With a trembled sigh I stood from my stool, my safe haven, my hiding spot. I brushed the non-existent crumbs from my pants and uncovered my eyes from sunglasses meant to hide secrets. Like the girl, I turned heads and caught stolen glances, heard whispers and giggles and flustered mumbles. A smile settled on my lips, a melody finding it’s home in my mouth as I hummed my way towards him. I knew it might’ve been a far fetched dream, that perhaps the girl was more than just an attractive friend or that the term “girls” was more his thing, but sitting there on that chair in that cafe and staring at someone who made my breath catch in my throat and my heart thump in strange beats, I decided. He deserved to know the effect he’d had on me, what he wished to do with it was up to him. I wanted him to know that amidst a pasty thick crowd with people of every color and size and age, I hadn’t been able to take my eyes off of him. I hadn’t been able to stop paying attention to the gorgeous boy with soft hair and crinkled eyes and pouted lips.

© 2016 lovelyremains


Author's Note

lovelyremains
This was just something quick that popped into my head when I saw a guy at Burger King.. I'm not that happy with it but oh well! Criticism warmly welcomed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

According to me it was beautiful, couldn't stop reading. I loved the way you thought of that scene. And your expression of it was good enough to make the reader breath some fresh air. Nice work .

Posted 7 Years Ago


A nice, descriptive, piece showcasing moments of someone catching our attention and not letting go. Well written, though I struggle with the repeated paragraphs, but it's message is clear. Keep up the good work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lovelyremains

7 Years Ago

I just realised I had pasted the text twice... It wasn't supposed to repeat. My mistake! But thank y.. read more
Bryan Webb

7 Years Ago

Well I meant no disrespect and did enjoy your work. No problem for the review, it was my pleasure.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 29, 2016
Last Updated on June 29, 2016
Tags: drabble, short story

Author

lovelyremains
lovelyremains

Malmö, Sweden



Writing
Friend Friend

A Story by lovelyremains


Death Death

A Poem by lovelyremains