Hero...

Hero...

A Story by Lauren
"

this is a true story of me and my grandad, characters are fake though -_- :) x

"

Do all super heroes have powers? Do they have to have telekinesis to be a hero? I don’t think they do, well, that’s my opinion anyway.


My name’s Eurka. It’s pronounced the same way as the name Erika, but spelt in a unique way. I’m 14 years old with black hair and blue eyes. Everyone in my family has the same facial features as I do. Mum, Dad, even Grandad.


Grandad was my hero, still is. He’s not around anymore sadly. He passed away in the war. I still remember the times we’d play together. All the fun we had pretending to fly into space beat up monsters and blow-up asteroids. We’d scream and shout across the garden pretending we were dinosaurs having a big fight over some food.
I remember the time we went to Chester zoo, I’d compete with the giraffe, who can be the tallest, of course the giraffe beat me. I couldn’t even beat the baby giraffe who was a whole other foot compare to what I was. Grandad would pick me up and pretend I was the larger one. It was so much fun.


When I was around the age of 4, I got a baby brother, Satoshi. He was an annoying little brother. He kicked and screamed, yelled and bellowed for attention. I couldn’t stand him.
When I turned 6 years old, and Satoshi turned 2, Grandad went to war. I can’t remember if I knew about this. I’m not sure I understood at the time. He was a brave guy, my Grandad was. The bravest.


Years later, he still never returned. Every time I went to nana’s to go see him, he was still ‘at work’. I didn’t understand why he couldn’t come home or why I would never see him again.


I found out what had happened to Grandad a few weeks ago. I noticed that my Nan kept a folder with loads of little treasures, every time I looked; she was holding an old crumpled bit of newspaper in her hand, usually crying. I got really worried about her to the point where I’d hug her until we both cried together. I asked her at one point what that bit of old paper was. She explained everything to me.


“This is a bit of old newspaper that was made when you were just 6 years old.” She said, sounding as if she’d been reciting this beginning speech since I was even born. “Your Grandad was in the war. He was a brave soldier, the bravest.” I looked at her in shock, my eyes pleading for her to continue her story. “He was a war survivor. He had a large heart and was strong willed, ready to face anything. Sadly after the war had ended there was a poppy march celebration going on. He had a heart attack during that March; he collapsed and passed away in hospital shortly after.” I cried just listening to her story, not even making eye contact with her. “Your Auntie Jean was upset too. She said to the news that he didn’t tell anyone about feeling ill because the march meant so much to him.”


At that moment I remembered the last moment I spent with him. It was the first time I’d read in front of him, I remember Nana taking the photo of us laughing at my failed reading. It was a moment to remember. To this day I still remember that moment as if it was the night before. I can even remember what the book was about. It was about my little pony, they had a surprise party or something like that.


Grandad was a war survivor, but that’s not the real reason he’s my hero. He is a hero because of that, but the main reason he’s MY hero is because he was strong willed, kind hearted and an amazing Grandad. The only regret I have with Grandad is that I never got to say good bye to him...nor could I say “I Love You”.

 

 

Authors Note:
This story is dedicated to you Grandad Ray, I Love You and Miss You with All My Heart. I Promise! We All Love And Miss You Grandad :’) <3 Xxxxxxxxxxxx

© 2011 Lauren


Author's Note

Lauren
what u think? :) xx

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
Added on November 20, 2011
Last Updated on November 21, 2011
Tags: grandad, war, ray, bebbington, real, fake, characters, manga, anime

Author

Lauren
Lauren

United Kingdom



About
My Name Is Lauren, I'm 15 And I Love To Write Stories About Strange Things, Because I Am Strange. Almost Every Story I Write Has Some Kind Of Murder Inside. I Am One Of Those People Who Start To Write.. more..