The Meeting

The Meeting

A Story by lraezolts
"

A meet-cute that changed her life.

"

The Meeting~


She had worked over twelves hours and was more than ready to call an end to this day and head home. It had been tough and long, but nothing out of the ordinary. Entering the parking lot, she walked right into a solid chest.


Her gaze crashed with a pair of sky-blue eyes. The most brilliant blue, a colour she could never describe. She prided herself on her vast vocabulary, but in that moment she was lost for words.


Old eyes, eyes from her past. A past that felt as alien to her as if it were another time.


"Are you all right?" he asked, his arms still wrapped around her small body to stop her from tumbling to the ground.


The sound of his voice broke her from her trance and she solidly placed her feet on the ground, he eased his grip on her, but didn't fully release her. Stepping out of his embrace, she felt her face flush completely.


"Yes, thank you. I'm so sorry. I'm a dreadful klutz."


"In those heels who wouldn't be?" he justified for her, flashing a perfect white. His charisma was intoxicating and she found herself giggling like a school girl.


"Thank you again," she said turning from him and walking away.


"Wait!" he called out, "Can I walk you to your car? It's not the best of neighbourhoods and a beautiful, young woman should not be walking alone."


"Uh...” she filled the air, realizing how dumb she must seem. “Ah, no thank you. I'm honoured, but my home is not far from here. I've already imposed upon your kindness, I won't take up anymore of your evening."


"It would not be an imposition, I assure you."


"Really! Its unnecessary,” she continued to protest.


“Please.” The warmth of his hand around hers banished her speech for the third time. It wasn't a plea or an order, it was simply a request.


“Thank you,” she said softly, unable to meet his eyes.



The flood of warm air made her aware of how cold she really had been. Rubbing her hands together, she blew warm air between them. She walked over to the fireplace and took off her light sweater, hanging it near the flames.


She had most definitely not been prepared for the sudden weather change, moments after leaving the underground garage an icy winter rain and drenched the city. Autumn was definitely over, she thought to herself.


"Do you come here often?" he asked, handing her an oversized cup of coffee.


"What gave me away?" she asked, bring the hot liquid to her face just to let the delicious tendrils of steam warm her face.


"The barista handing me your order before I spoke pretty much did it,” he laughed, taking a long drink from his own large mug.


"They have great coffee, usually pretty surly service, but I like it," she blushed a little from the intensity of his gaze.


"Surly my a*s!” the barista said without malice. Tossing her apron down on the counter, she walked over the window. “Doesn't look like this storm's plannin' on lighten' up anytime soon. So I'm done for the night.”


“Do we need to leave?” he asked, the barista's retreating back.


She ignored him.


When he turned to his companion, she smiled and explained. “I also live here. Lyla's been my best friend since I moved here she lives in the other apartment upstairs.”A few moments of awkward followed after he nodded his understanding.


Silence filled the large room, broken only by the hollowing winds and crackling fire.


"You can relax, I don't bite," the deep rumble of his laugh giving her goosebumps. "Not hard at least."


"I'm sorry,” she flushed, “I just don't know what to say and I'm feel terrible for getting you trapped in here because of this ridiculous storm. Did you have plans? I'm so sorry.”


"Its fine, I couldn't imagine a better place to wait out this storm. And just relax, why don't we just start with names," he suggested.


"Mairi."


"That's a very beautiful name." He seemingly enjoyed the blush that snuck across her cheeks from his compliment. They talked for over two hours, covering nearly every subject. Mairi had pulled out a bottle of wine as the evening lengthened. She felt an unexplainable sense of calm with him, a natural comfort as they'd known each other years.


"It now seems you know quite about me and yet I still don't even know your name," she said, pouring him another glass of wine.


"It would appear that way, yes."


"Are you going to make me guess?" she smiled. "I am really terrible at guessing games."


"Well that would just be cruel of me then, wouldn't it?"


She found herself becoming lost in his eyes again. They were an endless depth of blue. She usually didn't notice a persons eyes, but his were startling, in word. And passionate in their fierceness. Unnervingly beautiful, she thought knowing it didn't do them justice.


Breaking away from his gaze she focused on the dying fire. Corking the bottle, she placed it back on the sideboard behind his chair. Stretching, she was once again aware of her aching muscles. Her feet and back both screamed their outrage at her for being on her feet every day and in those wretched heels, she thought.


Bending over to place another log on the fire, she let her torso and the muscles of her back relax as warmth sank into her skin.


"Nice,” he smiled, appreciating the way her heels accented her backside and lengthened her legs drawing the eye to the width of her hips.


Snapping straight up, she smacked her head on the shelf above her. Reeling backwards, her heel caught the edge of the rug and she landed in an ungraceful heap with a soft "oof".


"I am so sorry,” he apologized, kneeling beside her. “I wouldn't have said anything if I thought it meant you nearly killing yourself."


"You could at least have the decency to appear contrite.”


"Oh trust me, it was worth it though," he said, helping her to her feet.


They were now in the same position to that in which they met. He stared at her what she could only quantify as eternity. Brushing her mussed hair from her, he looked at her as if the world began and ended in her eyes. He leaned down slowly, his lips brushing against hers softly. The electricity that exploded against her made her feel like a supernova. Mairi felt her blood burning through her like liquid fire.


It lasted forever and was over withing seconds. When she opened her eyes, his deep maelstrom eyes burned into her stealing her breath again.


Whatever it was that had just happened with this man who's name she did not know, she intended to have happen for everyday of the rest of her life. Pulling him back towards her, she amended her statement, she intended to relish in the feeling of his skin against her for the rest of the evening and into eternity.  

© 2013 lraezolts


Author's Note

lraezolts
So, I'm terrible at endings I know and I'm my own beta. By the time I wrestle an ending out of myself, the last thing I want to do is read the dreadful ending I've created so please point out any mistakes you find. This is a second hit at this story, so let me know what you think of it and anymore changes I might need to make. Thanks, hope you enjoyed!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

great start to the story, what happens next????

hope you continue with the story. there are so many places this could go.
Have fun with it, and be creative.
Trace

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 27, 2013
Last Updated on September 27, 2013
Tags: romance, meet-cute, romantic, waitress, falling in love, love, falling, short, meeting, The Meeting, quick read

Author

lraezolts
lraezolts

British Columbia, Canada



About
Hey, my names Lrae, I'm a wishful thinking, idealistic dreamer of an author. I struggle with endings and only have a few plot lines with any real meat. I like to write scenes more than heavy fiction b.. more..