Phone's dead

Phone's dead

A Story by Mashoosh Kateb
"

Charlie enters his worst nightmare

"

Charlie pounded the snooze button a few times before the blasting alarm would turn off. He could not sleep last night thinking about what is in store for the next day. It was his first “second” interview. After he graduated, the first calls from the recruiters seemed promising at first but soon Charlie realized he was part of the first round of meaningless acquaintance never to be heard back from again. It had happened so many times that Charlie started to second guess his choice in majoring in psychology. He would not take up any job that came along his way to make ends meet but the one that he could respect and would earn him respect. His roommate moonlighted at a gas station to earn some extra dough but that was not Charlie’s way. No compromises.

Charlie dragged himself into the empty living room where his roommate would join shortly after his petty job. Charlie’s heart was beating a little faster at the thought of the interview today. Finally, he was a step closer to getting employed for a job he liked. He ritualistically walked toward his phone to check messages and saw thirty five notifications on his facebook account. Were people wishing him good luck on his interview? He hadn’t told anyone. Except his roommate.

In his hurry to check his messages he missed that there were also 10 voice messages from his father.

“R.I.P dear C…What a great guy, sorry to see him go so soon…” Charlie was trying to figure out who were the condolence messages for and that too in his wall.

Dad” his mind rushed to his father but he knew he was seeing his name next to the R.I.P messages. He yanked his phone from his charger and scanned quickly through all the messages. They were all for him, offering condolences on his death.

Charlie was shocked and confused. It had to be his roommate playing some cruel joke on him but his roommate was a harmless little creature and would not do that to his worst enemy. His eyes then went to the voice mails from his father’s number. All of them frantic messages trying to reach him and not sure what to say.

“Charlie…please call me back..please let this not be true” muttered his father’s broken voice from the other end of the line. Charlie quickly tried to call him back a few times but he could not reach him. He called his roommate next but he would not pick his phone either. It was well past his time to come back. His interview was in an hour. In panic, Charlie ran outside his apartment but could not see a single soul. Even his car was gone. Was this a dream? It had to be. He clasped his eyes tightly and opened them again, shook his head but nothing seemed to work. He was still in his nightmare.

To be continued…

© 2015 Mashoosh Kateb


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have always been a staunch admirer of the concepts you base your stories upon. The story you have written so far has not expressed much but it is a nice start. I would love to know why he is deemed as dead when he isn't actually. Best of luck.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hey. I don't review many stories, but I started to read this and I think you are off to an excellent start. It really grabbed my attention in a Rod Serling type of way. Good job. CD

Posted 8 Years Ago


this is an intriguing beginning that is bound to pique the readers' interest. I quite like it. I didn't noticee any major errors. possibly one little typo. who's Alex in the first line?


Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 6, 2015
Last Updated on May 11, 2015

Author

Mashoosh Kateb
Mashoosh Kateb

CA



About
I have many stories in my head but struggle to put them into words as English is not my mother tongue nor is literature my strong suite. more..

Writing