My Daughter Has to be You

My Daughter Has to be You

A Screenplay by macca22
"

�My Daughter Has to be You� is a fictional story about a soon to be mother, who gets to meet her future daughter in a most unconventional way.

"

 

My Daughter Has to be You
 
 
The scene takes place in one of the small cities in Kentucky late at night. A romantic couple Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan are having a small chat on the bed, right before they go to sleep.
 
MRS. SULLIVAN
Near the lake?
MR.SULLIVAN
That’s all you see from the windows, basically. Beautiful surrounding, fifteen minutes away from the city of Seattle, reasonable price; I’m telling you, if that’s not a dream house, I don’t know what is.
MRS.SULLIVAN
Wow..Washington State, huh? I don’t have any friends from there.
MR.SULLIVAN
I heard people from there are really friendly. We’ll make     new friends in no time. Thing is, we’re not the only one    interested in that place. Though Our agent was pretty confident that we have got the better offer, but we may have to up  the ante a bit if necessary. I’ll call the agent again tomorrow to make sure.
MRS.SULLIVAN
          all right, you do that, honey. You buy the house, then you buy a boat, and you, me, and baby girl will go out cruising all the time.
MR.SULLIVAN
          (Smiling)
          Hey.. speaking of ‘baby girl’, I really hope that’s not the name we go for, you know. You uh.. wanna start talking about names? It’s been a while since we found out it’s a girl.
MRS.SULLIVAN 
          Seems to me like you already got a list in your mind..
MR.SULLIVAN
          Of sorts... A little
MRS.SULLIVAN
          Okay, how about this, you give me some names that you like and I’ll pick one from that list. Fair and simple...
MR.SULLIVAN
          That is a great idea from you for once..
MRS.SULLIVAN
          All right. So, what do you have in mind?
MR.SULLIVAN
          (Thinking)
          Well, first we have Marie.
MRS.SULLIVAN
          Marie Sullivan? I kinda like it.
MR. SULLIVAN
          Yeah. Marie is a very smart girl, who makes smart choices throughout her entire life. Bright and ambitious, she will make one of the best lawyers this country has ever had.  
MRS.SULLIVAN  
          Lawyer, huh? I like it; I like this girl. Who’s her competition?
MR.SULLIVAN
         Britney is next; a very beautiful girl, who will have a great modeling career. Captain of cheerleader team, prime candidate for a prom queen; she is the kind that every boy in college wants to date. And last, we got Jamie. Jamie is an ordinary girl, her inner beauty outshine her outside looks. She doesn’t have like the most friends, but she’s got the loyal ones. She’s also a very family-oriented girl.
MRS.SULLIVAN
 Oh, I love them all. I don’t want to choose. It’s very hard.
MR.SULLIVAN
         That’s okay. Just save it for tomorrow. You look tired already.
         Just take a rest all right? If lucky, you might have one of the names pops out in your dream.
         (He turns off the light)
MRS.SULLIVAN
         All right now. Sweet dreams.
MR.SULLIVAN
         Yeah, you too. This baby’s gonna be a great addition to our family. I really can’t wait.
 
    
         Sleepy and tired, Mrs. Sullivan starts to close her eyes, only to find herself talking to someone else minutes later. She finds herself talking face to face with someone she doesn’t recognize. It’s a very bright room with nothing but a table and two chairs.
 
MRS.SULLIVAN
         Thank you for waiting, sweetheart. (slight pause) And your name is Marie .. Sullivan?
MARIE
         Yes, Ma’am
MRS.SULLIVAN
         Okay, why don’t you tell me a little bit about yourself?
MARIE
          I am 20 years old, an only child in one very happy family in a small town of Evansville, Kentucky. I work as a waitress in a small restaurant. I used to study law in University of Chicago for a year until I had other things I uh…have to prioritize…
MRS.SULLIVAN
          And that being…?
MARIE
          It’s a family matter, Mrs. Sullivan. I’d rather not to talk about it if I could.
MRS.SULLIVAN
          So you prefer to leave me the impression of a young, irresponsible teenage girl, who quits college for some unknown reason? Cause honestly, that’s how I see you right now, and You’re okay with that?
MARIE
          You know you don’t judge the tree from its leaves, Mrs. Sullivan. You judge from its fruits.
MRS.SULLIVAN
          And what would be your fruits? I still fail to see that somehow.
MARIE
           I’m making my family happy. I am taking care of my parents; of my mother.
MRS.SULLIVAN
           Financial-wise?
MARIE
(Reacted quickly; starting to get upset)
           No! no.. she’s uh..she’s in the chair.. My mom is on the wheelchair for uh.. two years now. And I can’t leave her; I just can’t.
MRS.SULLIVAN
          Oh, I am so sorry for being so insensitive, sweetheart. Do you mind me asking what happened to her?
MARIE
          (Starting to get emotional; her voice starts to tremble)
She broke her leg and her hip when she uh.. she fell down the stairs..when we were in a mall. She said she was really busy with her work, couldn’t come down visiting Chicago. Then I told her how she’s broken her promise so many times; letting me down so many times and that uh.. I don’t want to hear from her had she broken another promise.
 
MRS.SULLIVAN
          So this is the way you’re blaming yourself.. Quit school, leave your dream behind?
MARIE
          She’s taken care of me her whole life. It’s my turn now. I want to pay her back.
MRS.SULLIVAN
          You know other way you can pay her back? Continue your study, graduate, get decent job, be successful.
MARIE
          Someone told me that gaining success is all about making smart decision and stick with it. (Slight pause) Do I want to be a lawyer? Yes. Do you always get what you want? No. Things change, circumstances arise, all you gotta do is to adapt.
MRS.SULLIVAN
          You are smart and you are strong and I like those about you. I just wish you have a better life, because you deserve it.
All right, I’ll put everything into considerations and I’ll give you a call when I reach my decision. Thank you so much for coming here.
MARIE
         Thank you, Mrs. Sullivan. It’s very nice meeting you.
(Marie leaves the room, and Mrs. Sullivan picks up the phone and                     call her secretary.)
MRS SULLIVAN
         Kathy, can you bring the next person in, please? Thank you.
KATHY
          Sure thing, Mrs. Sullivan.
    
The next candidate comes into the room.   
 
MRS.SULLIVAN
         Good morning. How are you doing? Please have a seat
BRITNEY
          I’m doing great, thank you. And how are you?
MRS. SULLIVAN
          I am fine as well, and oh by the way, this is such an impressive resume, and you are very beautiful, too.
BRITNEY
          Thank you. So are you.
MRS.SULLIVAN
          And your name is uh.. Britney..Jirni..
     BRITNEY
          Jitrnicka. Britney Jitrnicka.
MRS. SULLIVAN
Huh..it’s quite a name.
BRITNEY
I know. He’s Czech.
MRS. SULLIVAN
Pardon me?
BRITNEY
It’s his surname..my husband. You know how you always take your husband’s name when you get..
MRS.SULLIVAN
(Interrupts)
Yeah, yeah, of course. I just didn’t expect..I guess I just didn’t see a married woman in you. I mean you seem very, very young. How old are you, my dear?
BRITNEY
I am nineteen years old, Mrs. Sullivan.
MRS.SULLIVAN
And how old is your marriage?
BRITNEY
We’ll celebrate the third anniversary on the fifth next month.
MRS.SULLIVAN
So you were married at 16 years old!? Well, I was just talking to the other girl about making a bad decision. Maybe I should call her back to this room, telling her that hers may not be that bad after all.
(Awkward silence occurs).
Would you uh…like to defend yourself?
BRITNEY
If you think that way Mrs. Sullivan, then there is nothing I can do about it. I am sure I made the right decision, and I have never regretted it for one second in my life.
MRS.SULLIVAN
Okay, now..tell me, why do you think you will make a good daughter?
BRITNEY
I can go on and on and on and talk myself up like, ‘I bring joy to other people’, or, ‘with me around, you will have a perfect life’, but no. I can’t say those things to you. I am just a normal girl, who’s been very lucky the whole life. I’ve been blessed in a way that I have lot of friends, that I’ve achieved so many things, and that I have a very steady career in modeling. I take the good from all those experience and learn from all the bad. I am just a small town girl who loves her life, loves her friends, and loves her parents.
MRS.SULLIVAN
And yet, you don’t need a lot amount of time to decide to leave them; and live another life.
BRITNEY
It is not entirely true. My parents and me, We are still very close. Nothing will ever set us apart…not the fact that I’m leaving, not my husband, not the marriage.
MRS.SULLIVAN
          Right…
Alrighty then. I got everything I need, and thank you for coming here.
BRITNEY
          My pleasure. Thank you, Mrs. Sullivan. Have a nice day.
 
As Britney closed the door, she   approaches Jamie, the next candidate, who’s sitting anxiously in a waiting room.
 
JAMIE
Hey.. How did it go?
BRITNEY
Urgh..it was a nightmare. She’s an evil b***h…very tough to impress. But I’m doing the best I could, you know…hanging on.
JAMIE
She really that scary?
BRITNEY
She is one sick witch, I’m telling you. she tried to corner me every chance she got. Be careful with her questions..If you really think too much about her questions, it’s very dangerous. Always prepare to give the best answer, not your answer. Oh, and try to do a little a*s kissing once in a while.
JAMIE
     (Confused)
Um..okay.
KATHY
(Interrupts)
Ahem..
Excuse me..Jamie Sullivan? Mrs. Sullivan is waiting for you. Or, should I say.. the evil witch with dangerous questions is waiting for you…? (Looks to Britney).
JAMIE
I’ll be there, thank you.
KATHY
(to Britney)
Don’t worry about me, I’m not the one who has a final say. I’m just a secretary. I’m a little concerned though about your health.. You just kissed a sick witch’s a*s..You might want to check it up to the doctor.
 
Back in the interviewing room, Jamie comes in.
JAMIE
Good morning..
MRS.SULLIVAN
Hello, please have a seat.
JAMIE
Thank you.
MRS.SULLIVAN
And you are ..Jamie Sullivan? I really like your name.
JAMIE
Thank you. Jamie means ‘a healer’.. the kind that brings something back into life; provides miracle for those who’s in need.
MRS.SULLIVAN
Wow..
JAMIE
It sounds like bull..I know. My late father told me that, and I always believe it; miracles happen around me all the time. And believing it.. It gives me some kind of strength, you know. Before, I always..
MRS.SULLIVAN
     (Interrupts)
Wait, wait..What happened to your father?
JAMIE
Car accident..Four years ago. It’s always that, right? Same old story, you know..late at night, drunk driving, and boom! Everything changes. We moved out of Seattle, People never looked at us the same way, and me and my mom had to fight hard for survival.
MRS.SULLIVAN
Seattle?
JAMIE
Yup. Great foods, bad memories.
MRS.SULLIVAN
Can I hear about this survival story of yours?
JAMIE
Well, my dad was the provider in the family. He’s gone and all of a sudden, we have to play that role. It’s especially hard for my mom in her forties to get a decent job, after not working for so long. She also took time to overcome her grief. We stick together and turn to each other every time we need strength. We eventually got the jobs, we put the food on the table, and we survived.
MRS.SULLIVAN
Lucky for your mom she’s got a miracle maker in the house.
JAMIE
Miracle doesn’t happen without the hard work; together, we made it happen;
MRS.SULLIVAN
I have a question for you. Do you ever regret living such a hard life? You ever wished your life weren’t like this; wished you have a different family?
JAMIE    
I love my family more than anything else. My mom and my dad are the most beautiful human beings I’ve ever met...I’d never trade my life with any other life. After my dad died though, I got this dream... almost every single night.. that someone from the future gave me a ride in the little time machine of his..He took me to that day; he took me to that bar..I saw my father..drinking, but alive. Then I took his key; I drove him home; He got home, safe, and still alive. Then I told him every day that I loved him, that he meant everything to me; I told him that every single day.
Uh..did I.. answer your question? Sorry if I was all over the place. I uh..
MRS.SULLIVAN
Thank you.
Thank you, Jamie. I’ll call you as soon as I reach the decision.
JAMIE
Thank you, Mrs. Sullivan
 
                   As Jamie goes out of the room, Mrs. Sullivan’s secretary comes in.
 
KATHY
That is all for today, Mrs. Sullivan. You got the winner in your mind?
MRS.SULLIVAN
Well, let’s see..Do I want to live in a wheelchair, or live without my husband?
KATHY
What about the other one?
MRS.SULLIVAN
She was married when she was 16!..I already wrote her off when she told me that. She’ll miss too many things in her life, being married that young. Plus, I kinda sense some kind of hypocrisy in her words..like she didn’t mean what she said..like she was hiding who she really is.
KATHY
Oh, she didn’t hide it at all outside this room, I’m telling you.
     (starts to giggle)
Should’ve heard the different kind of nicknames she was giving you. They were very funny.
MRS.SULLIVAN
Kathy..
KATHY
Oh, I’m sorry.
Honestly, Mrs. Sullivan..this is very tough, I wouldn’t trade place with you for this.
MRS.SULLIVAN
I can’t be in a wheelchair.. I become a burden to so many people. I stand in my daughter’s way to happiness.
KATHY
So, you’re okay with not having your husband?
MRS.SULLIVAN
I feel like there are lots of things that I can’t do in the wheelchair…
KATHY
So you’re more concerned about yourself than..
MRS.SULLIVAN
     (Interrupts)
Including.. protecting my family.
But yeah..at the same time...I can’t live without my husband; he means the world to me.
KATHY
I just hope you don’t make the decision you will regret for the rest of your life; whatever it is.
MRS.SULLIVAN
Okay, Kathy.. tell zzzz that she’s hired.
KATHY
Who?
MRS.SULLIVAN
Zzzz!
KATHY
Who???
MRS.SULLIVAN
I said it’s ...
MR.SULLIVAN
Jenni..
Jenni..
MRS.SULLIVAN/Jennifer Sullivan
     (Starts opening her eyes)
Huh?
MR.SULLIVAN
Hey..I just want to let you know that I just got the call from the office..I might work til very late today..There are lots of stuff I have to take care of. So, don’t wait for me for dinner, kay?
MRS.SULLIVAN
Oh..All right.
MR.SULLIVAN
Okay..go back to your sleep; continue your dream..looks like it’s a good one..you were smiling all the time. You meeting Santa or something?
MRS.SULLIVAN
No..they’re better than Santa.
Hey, honey?
MR.SULLIVAN
Yeah?
MRS.SULLIVAN
You know I love you, right? I love you with all my heart.
MR.SULLIVAN
I love you too.
MRS.SULLIVAN
(Smiling)
Oh hey, I’ve decided on the name..
MR.SULLIVAN
Oh, really? What is it?
MRS.SULLIVAN
     (caressing her tummy)
Okay, meet our first ever daughter, the lovely Jamie Sullivan.
MR.SULLIVAN
     (excited)
I knew you would like that name..!
All right now.. I have to go..you’ll be alright over here with little Jamie?
MRS.SULLIVAN
Oh yeah, she’s a healer..I’ll be safe with her.
MR.SULLIVAN
What?
MRS.SULLIVAN
It’s the meaning of the name..I remember someone told me that.
Oh hey..since you are very busy today, why don’t you give me that real estate’s agent number to me..you know..about that house in Seattle? I’ll give her a call. I’ll take care of it.
MR. SULLIVAN
Oh, you sure you can do that? You know what to do right? Do whatever it takes to get that house..don’t let other buyers outbid you..
MRS.SULLIVAN
Don’t worry; I know exactly what to do. I’ll do anything; any means necessary to make our family happy.

© 2008 macca22


Author's Note

macca22
My first piece of writing...hopefully will be the first of many. Hope everybody enjoys it..

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really liked the storyline in this script, and I thought it was very creative. I've never seen this type of storyline before. I know you mentioned that English is not your first language so I won't focus too much on the grammar issues. However, I do recommend that you have a friend read this over to make corrections. The errors were very distracting while reading the script, and it did detract from the piece. I liked most of the individual characters, and I think they can be developed even more. I think Kathy's character could be toned down just a bit...she comes across too bold for a minor character. I would like to know what Mr. Sullivan does for a living; that information could expand your story a bit. This is a good story for your first piece, and I wish you much luck as you continue. Thank you for sharing your writing on the Cafe, and I look forward to reading more. Best wishes!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really liked the storyline in this script, and I thought it was very creative. I've never seen this type of storyline before. I know you mentioned that English is not your first language so I won't focus too much on the grammar issues. However, I do recommend that you have a friend read this over to make corrections. The errors were very distracting while reading the script, and it did detract from the piece. I liked most of the individual characters, and I think they can be developed even more. I think Kathy's character could be toned down just a bit...she comes across too bold for a minor character. I would like to know what Mr. Sullivan does for a living; that information could expand your story a bit. This is a good story for your first piece, and I wish you much luck as you continue. Thank you for sharing your writing on the Cafe, and I look forward to reading more. Best wishes!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 6, 2008
Last Updated on May 6, 2008

Author

macca22
macca22

Winona, MN



About
undergrad student and still fairly new in this field..English is not my first language, but my writing doesn't give that away (hopefully). I love English and writing in English..and i''m confident wri.. more..

Writing
Come Closer Come Closer

A Screenplay by macca22