Once Upon a Time There was A Girl

Once Upon a Time There was A Girl

A Poem by Madison E O'Hara
"

Leaving her nothing

"

Once upon a time there was a girl, she thought she knew what she wanted, she thought she knew what wanted her. She thought she’d had it all figured out, but she didn’t. Nothing made sense anymore. He didn’t make sense. He still doesn’t make sense.

            Her mind is stuck on him. It’s been left to be consumed by his face and his words and his lips on her forehead. He’s an imprint on her mind. A mark that won’t go away and won’t shut up. Every moment is put on replay, every day, every conversation, every look and every touch are memorized and played out day after day after day. It never stops.

            He consumes her solitude, leaves her head jumbled and unfocused. He captures her when she’s drunk and unable to keep up her walls she’s built to keep from falling apart, to keep from drowning in him. He stalks her dreams and promises the restless nights forever.

            At times he seems so close. So easy to grasp and see and touch and feel and to know he’s real and true. But no matter their distance apart, whether hundreds of miles or merely inches, he was never, is never really there. She was never really with him. He could stand so close but always leave her feeling as though she hadn’t seen him at all. He was a ghost.

            He scared her, as ghosts do. He made her hide, made her fear, he made her less than who she used to be.

            So now she keeps her distance from everyone. No one could get past her walls, she makes it so no one wants to. For she loves him and she can’t leave him. But he was so good at leaving her. Leaving her empty, leaving her broken, leaving her stuck in limbo without cause or explanation. He left her stuck on him, while he was stuck on nothing.

            Now he meets another, and he’s okay. He carries on. He sleeps fine at night. He doesn’t sob at the mention of her name. He doesn’t feel consumed by ‘what ifs’ and ‘could have beens’. He okay.

            And she’s gone.

© 2016 Madison E O'Hara


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

If I had a dollar for every time I felt this way......as they say. Most people don't take out the time to consider how their actions or their lack there of can and will effect the lives of others. Their most selfish acts can be so destructive and life altering that it boggles my mind as to how that person can sleep at night. Then those thoughts go dark"How is it that I'm trapped in this shell yet forced to breath the same air as the person that drove me into this shell? If I told you you'll get over it, you'd probably want to punch me in the nose. But it is true. I've learned that all things pass, both good and bad.which is why I approach each person worthy of my consideration with open heart. I've written several poems about this subject. Try reading "In my pond" This write felt more therapeutic then poetic but either way you were successful in getting these emotions out. That is all the better.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 21, 2016
Last Updated on October 21, 2016
Tags: lost love, unrequited, heart break, hopelessness, walls, love

Author

Madison E O'Hara
Madison E O'Hara

London, Ontario, Canada



About
3rd Year Student at Western University with an Honours Specialization in History with Minor in English for Teachers. Originally from Muskoka, ON Seriously inexperienced writer, but it's a small hobb.. more..

Writing