What It's Like Being An Out of State Student

What It's Like Being An Out of State Student

A Story by Madeline

Most common response I get from people at K-State when I tell them I'm from Texas is "Why did you choose to leave Texas?". Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Texas. It is such a cool state, with many things to do and it's full of diversity. Having said that, I am a firm believer in the idea that life isn't meant to be lived in one single place. Thus explaining my decision to come to K-State.

Moving to Kansas has easily been the best decision of my life. I adore it up here, I really do! Like everything, it does have it's challenges! Being 500 miles away from your entire family isn't easy! Though my friends at college have become like family to me, it still is an intimidating thought knowing my closest family member is an eight hour drive away. I'm definitely a worst case scenario type of person, so I can't help but have that scary thought in the back of my mind. While I haven't dealt with any home sickness per say, it still can be a sad feeling when your friends can easily drive two hours to be with their family for a weekend, but you can't.

One thing that has not been difficult but has been a bit of an adjustment (other than the weather!!) is the difference in people. Everywhere you go, people are different. Kansas is no exception! People here are much more humble and down to earth than Texas! There's also a difference in accents, and certain lingo. For example, eating a Mexican restaurant in Texas, you would order Queso, here you order "Cheese Dip". In Texas you order a "Soda", here you order "Pop".

While being an out of state student has it's pro's and con's, I can say without a doubt being an out of state student has been one of the best, most helpful experiences of my life, and easily the best decision I have made.

© 2015 Madeline


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on December 11, 2015
Last Updated on December 11, 2015
Tags: out of state, college student, Texas, Kansas

Author

Madeline
Madeline

Manhattan , KS



About
Sophomore studying Public Relations and International Studies at Kansas State University! more..

Writing