At Filthy Diamond

At Filthy Diamond

A Poem by amomentforus

Waiting at a bar, but not looking at the door. A subtle thrum on the wood. Drinking beer like drinking water. A budding couple, a couple spots down, easing into the drunk. Battery powered candles flicker, an artificial waver, maybe we are equally unsure. Only someone else able to tell us when our time is done. The bars fills but not the din. All charmed by the glow of others’ misfortunes. The bartender knocks a man’s drink and fails to top him off. How quickly I can build an image of you in my head. Keeping the tag on your heart so you can always hang it up again. Bumming a shot of whiskey. Not bad knowing, you are in the moment of making memories you will love forever. Half a drink gone and we are no closer to the end. Better to continue sipping slowly. Savor the pain, relishing the bite. Always getting better means you can never like the past. An unfinished iteration, a cracked mirror. Hoping to pray it fogs over.

© 2024 amomentforus


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

First of all, I love the poem. The imagery of the words and their flow pulled me in like the current of a deep and powerful river.

I especially liked the image associated with the phrase:

"...easing into the drunk."

Some of the lines stand out as memorable quotes:

"Not bad knowing, you are in the moment of making memories you will love forever."

"Always getting better means you can never like the past."

And this line describes how my life often feels:

"An unfinished iteration, a cracked mirror."

All in all, it's a wonderful poem with with strong visuals and seductive feelings.

Thanks so much for sharing this work and -- above all -- keep writing!

Posted 1 Week Ago


amomentforus

1 Week Ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! It truly means a lot!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 25, 2024
Last Updated on April 25, 2024

Author

amomentforus
amomentforus

New York, NY



About
amomentforus is a writer/poet from NYC. She explores the intersection of memory and identity through character explorations highlighting human desire and motivation. With a background in Psychology an.. more..

Writing