How to Clean Mattress at Home: Tips

How to Clean Mattress at Home: Tips

A Story by Major Carpet Cleaners

Compliance with the rules of operation will help to preserve the orthopedic properties of mattresses. In this article, you will learn how to clean a mattress at home from dust, microorganisms, mould, bloodstains, urine. This will preserve health and extend the life of the product.


General Recommendations for all types of Mattresses

Remember, the wrong cleaning method or an unsafe cleaning agent can ruin the mattress. If there is no special service for cleaning mattresses in your city, then be sure to read the instruction label.

  1. The accumulation of dust on the mattress will be prevented by regular vacuuming. And it's just great if you have a washing vacuum cleaner or a steam cleaner - they will not only remove dust but also clean contaminated areas, help destroy dust mites.
  2. After vacuuming the mattress, wipe it on both sides with a Damp Cloth.
  3. Remember to wipe down the bed frame.
  4. It is necessary to ventilate and turn the mattress at least once a month.
  5. To think less about how to clean the product from stains, it is better to use special mattress covers.
  6. It is necessary to clean the mattress from the stain immediately after it appears - this will greatly facilitate the task.

The Subtleties of Cleaning different Mattresses

A coconut-filled mattress can be knocked out by wrapping it in a damp cloth. Cleaning with a brush and wiping with a sponge is acceptable.

Mattresses made of polyurethane foam are not allowed to be moistened with abundant water. If cleaning is necessary, but you can resort to dry or wet cleaning, lightly blotting the surface of the product.

Spring mattresses are also not allowed to be washed. The abundance of water deforms the springs and provokes rust.

An ordinary cotton mattress cannot be spoiled with water, but it will take a long time to dry. Therefore, water is a minimum.

Removing Stains and Eliminating Odours

The accumulation of dust on the mattress will be prevented by regular vacuuming. If you need to get rid of stains, then you can resort to textile stain removers. These products will prevent the release of tannin, a natural dye of plant fibres, and the decay of the filler. They are available in the form of a spray, solution, pencil or wet wipes impregnated with a cleaning chemical composition. Can be versatile, or narrowly targeted.

Another effective way is to apply dish detergent to the stain, then cover it with a cloth that absorbs moisture well. You don't need to rub anything, the dirt will come out by itself.


You can also use homemade products.

Bloodstains

It is better to remove it immediately after it appears.

  1. Mix until thick toothpaste 1 tbsp. salt, ½ cup cornstarch, ¼ cup hydrogen peroxide. Apply the product to the surface of the stain, wait until it is completely dry and scrape off the paste. Vacuum the mattress. 3-4 cleanings may be required.
  2. Apply salt to the moistened surface of the stain, leave for 2 hours. After removing the salt, blot the stain with hydrogen peroxide. When foam stops forming, wipe the surface with a clean cloth. For stubborn stains, you can replace the peroxide with ammonia.
  3. Make a thick paste using white meat softener, baking soda, and water. Let it sit on the spot for 15-20 minutes and blot with a sponge dipped in cold water.
  4. Dissolve a teaspoon of ammonia in ½ litre of water. Apply a cotton pad soaked in the solution to the stain. If the stain is still noticeable after drying, repeat the procedure using a more concentrated solution.
  5. Mix the starch with water until a thick, homogeneous consistency. Apply to stain. Once dry, remove with a brush.
  6. If the stain is fresh, apply a peroxide solution to it. Collect escaping foam with a cotton pad or sponge.

For Odour and Urine Stains

An enzymatic cleaner or vinegar may help. They should be soaked in the stain, which is then sprinkled with baking soda liberally. In the morning, the product is removed and the mattress is vacuumed. Another way to get rid of urine stains is to combine water and lemon juice taken in equal amounts, spray on the surface of the stain and sprinkle with soda after drying.

Knowing how to clean a mattress at home is not enough. Indeed, in addition to an ugly stain, you need to get rid of an unpleasant odour. To cope with the smell of baby urine and stains from it, baby powder, which is sprinkled on the product, and then carefully rubbed with a dry sponge, will help.

There are other ways to combat unpleasant odours.

  1. Odour absorber:- The powder should be poured onto the contaminated area, after 3-5 hours removed with a brush or vacuum cleaner. Then wipe the treated area with a damp sponge. The powder can be purchased at any store. Odour absorbers are also available in the form of a spray.
  2. Salt:- Dissolve a tablespoon of salt in 3 tablespoons of water. Rub the mixture into a dirty place, wipe with a clean cloth, dry with a hairdryer.
  3. Soda:- Pour onto the contaminated area, remove with a vacuum cleaner after 12�"20 hours.
  4. Vinegar:- Saturate the stain with vinegar, cover with baking soda on top, leave overnight. In the morning, remove the residues of the product with a vacuum cleaner.
  5. Laundry Soap:- Moisten the stain, rub with laundry soap. Then, wash off the soap with a cloth dipped in a vinegar solution. Wipe the treated area with a clean damp cloth, dry with napkins, then iron through the cloth. Laundry soap does an excellent job with old odours.

Folk Recipes for Removing Stains

  • Lipstick stains will disappear after treatment with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol;
  • Chewing gum stuck to the mattress will come off easily if you put ice on it.
  • Mould and mould odour are removed by soaking the mattress with a bleach solution;
  • Spilled red wine stains are generously sprinkled with soda, after which the surface of the stain is washed with dry foam.
  • Salt, or potato starch, or talcum powder will help clean the mattress of grease stains. The product is poured onto the stain, after 15 minutes it is removed with a vacuum cleaner. Then the procedure is repeated.
  • A saline solution will help hide traces of coffee.
  • Forcing drops can be removed with a mixture of alcohol and tooth powder. The composition is applied to the stain, after 15 minutes it is removed with a vacuum cleaner. Sulfacil sodium eye drops can also be used. In this case, the remnants of the product should be washed off with a soda solution.

If you follow the simple rules of operation, the mattress will retain its orthopedic properties, freshness and cleanliness for a long time. But if there is a nuisance and contamination appears on the product, wash it off immediately, do not wait for the stain to get old.

© 2021 Major Carpet Cleaners


Author's Note

Major Carpet Cleaners

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on December 14, 2021
Last Updated on December 14, 2021
Tags: mattresses, cleaning service, mattress cleaners

Author

Major Carpet Cleaners
Major Carpet Cleaners

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
Our experts are highly skilled and well equipped to give quality results. The coordination and flexibility of our team make the hassle-free cleaning experience helpful. more..

Writing