The Temptation

The Temptation

A Story by makoy
"

How far can fate lure a person to be tempted?

"
It is dusk. The whole barrio of San Agustin is alive again. The people gather to relax and celebrate the glory of life after such a wearing battle of their everyday lives. The work in their farms and the marvelous labor weakens the flesh. The workloads toll too much that the only escape to the debilitation are some glasses of spirits and the videoke. This time of the day is the 'best time' as the people call it. They don't mind about their problems as they believe that their problems will always be there for them even until they die. The titles of the songs they are to sing are in the minds of the people at this time. They party even if they have not had supper yet. They will have supper later in their house anyway. Their children are so glued in the play station. The fun brought by playing computer games help them forget their hunger. They are always in a long queue waiting one after the other for them to get their turn to play. They totally forget anything in school including their homework. Their teachers already sent a complaint to the barangay captain to address the issue. But the owners of the business always have a sound reason. They always assert that they only allow students to play after school time. Again, the barrio is very alive, so festive. The atmosphere is extraordinary for a remote and humble barrio like San Agustin. The great ambiance is not so great for Magdalena, however. This time is the most trying time of her everyday life.

She grows up in the hands of her grandmother. She's the only child. Her mother died of ovarian cancer while she was still two years old and her father died three years ago as he was shot by three unidentified people while he was enjoying watching c**k fights. There were many opinions formed as to the reason of his death. But until now, there's no clearly identified one. Magdalena is fifteen now. In about two months, she will have to graduate in high school.

It's already 5:30 p.m. The last flock of hardworking herons is flying back north after a long day toil. Magdalena is going home. She is done helping her aunt in her small barbeque business. They have not sold a lot yet but she has to go home now. The retiring sun has extended its fingers to welcome the coming of the night. She still has to walk home which is two kilometers away from the center. There, her old grandmother is waiting for her always excited for their food to be cooked for supper. Maria is bringing a half kilo of squid bought by her aunt. This always is the case. She helps her aunt in her aunt's small business to get a ration for supper and breakfast. Sometimes, she can bring home some fish. But other times, she only has a few dried fish. It all depends on her aunt's income. Her grandmother is left alone in their house during day time. They have been together tending each other for three years since Magdalena's father died.

Magdalena is very famous in their barrio not because of her father's tragedy but because of her qualities worth emulating for the people of her age. She is a diligent student. She saves every single money she earns to buy kerosine for her to study at night. She helps her aunt every day in her business. On weekends, she accepts laundries. Other times, she cleans the house of her teachers and tutors their children as well. This hardship in life does not stop her to always be in the top of the honor roll. Despite the misfortune she has in life, she doesn't stop dreaming big. She wants to be a teacher someday. She is so motivated to graduate as the class valedictorian to avail a full merit scholarship in the state subsidized college institution in the town. But a certain quality that one can easily notice about her is her supreme, innocent beauty. She is a perfect package of a perfect daughter. Many people say that she looks like her mother when her mother was still in her prime. She is relatively long and lean. Her long, straight, shiny black hair highlights her femininity. Many young gentlemen hope to win her heart. They always wait for her at the big acasia tree near the barrio chapel clinging to a slim chance of accompanying her upon going home almost every afternoon. However, not one of them has been successful. Magdalena is greatly focused to graduate with flying colors as she believe it as the only way to make her long longed dream a reality. She studies even harder each day as the days are slowly approaching the month of March. This is what she always thinks as she walks to school and home. In fact, she is thinking it again right now.

"Beeeep!" a horn of a familiar motorcycle sounds. It is slowly running at her back.

She turns around. It is Tina riding on their TMX with her father driving and her mother behind him and she next to her mother.

"Magda!" Tina joyfully calls her. " Is it still possible, Pa?" she asks her father if Magdalena could still have a ride on.

Her father smiled back. He knows that there's no more space. The front seat is well occupied with a sack of rice. The seat on his back is just good enough for two. He didn't put the wooden extension today. That would have allowed Magdalena to fit in.

"I'm alright. I'll just walk. There is still enough daylight for me."

The family asks her apology then leave her. She is following them with her eyes as they slowly disappear in the horizon. Magdalena is alone again. She loves that family. They are very kind to her. Tina's mother usually gives her a share of Tina's snack. She sometimes gives her some of Tina's clothes. Tina and she are good friends. She is just one step ahead of Tina in the honors' list. In fact, the two of them are the ones closely vying for the top 1. Despite being so good to her, she doesn't allow any single chance for Tina to outclass her. It is for a reasonable cause at least.

Magdalena has already gone halfway. She has to speed up her strides. She needs to walk past the abandoned old house of the Montoya's and the big mango tree near it before the light is out for it was dreaded by many. It is believed that the old house is the meeting place of the evil spirits and that the mango tree is the abode of numerous kapre. It is also the place where a soldier was shot and beheaded by three freedom fighters twenty years ago. Thinking about this, her body shudders and she has goosebumps. She feels even more terrified.

She is now near the place and she is preparing to run and shout if befallen by her frightening thoughts. The house appears bigger to her and the tree seems to move. Her legs get heavier as her nerves pleading her to hurry. She sees something in white but unsure if it's a person. She ignores what she saw and prepares herself to run.

"Magda!"

"Haaah!" she looses herself and runs. She almost lost the grip of the bag of squids she's holding.

"Don't be afraid. I am your uncle Pido."

She stops. She looks back. It was his uncle Pido indeed. She has a deep sigh of relief. She's shaking. She is panting hard.

"I'm sorry, uncle Pido. I was carried by my intense fear. You know how much I dreaded this place. How much courage do you have to stay here at this hour?"

"I'm waiting for any person to help me. I'm lucky enough that you came," his voice is a bit shaking as well.

"Why? What's the matter? Can my presence help you?"

Maria is relieved now. She will not be alone in going home. Uncle Pido is not really his uncle by blood. He is just their neighbor. Their houses are a bit distant though. He has been so good to them. When Magdalena is sick, he is the one who collects and cuts firewood. He fetches water for the two. He also brings some food he had spent time cooking with.He gives some money to Magda especially if he knows that the girl is in dire need of such. Sometimes, he reprimands those young men who unendingly court Magda. People see him as the next father to Magda even though he already has two children and a loving wife. He is too concerned of Magda's welfare most especially in her education. Perhaps, he is doing these things for a reason that he was the closest friend of Magda's father.

"I cannot hitch my carabao to the cart. I loaded too many sacks of copra. I misestimated it. It weighs too much that I could not hitch my carabao anymore. I supposed to deliver it to the buyer. I tried to find someone to help me but none came but you."

Magda wonders. She had seen his uncle Pido hitched his carabao before with roughly the same amount of load.

"Perhaps the load was really too much," she thought.

"Can you help me, Magda? I left the cart at our copra oven, you know. I need to deliver them now. I'm afraid it will rain tonight. Don't worry, I'll give you and your grandmother something when those are sold."

Magda is delighted with what his uncle promised but she still has a little hesitation. She has not been there but she knows it is still far. It's already dark. She's supposed to be at home a few minutes from now. Her grandmother is waiting for her. She still has to cook the squids that she brings when she arrives. She's worried of the old woman. She's weak and has a waning vision. She must be very hungry. She must be worried of Magda as well. However, her heart softens for uncle Pido. She would be too ungrateful not to grant the request of a man who has been so good to her. Seeing his face pleading her to help him lashes some of her pathos. She nodded. Uncle Pido immediately got a dry coconut leaf and tied its base, body, and tip. That would be their torch.

"This will be lighted later on. Ahh... let's hurry now. You still have to prepare food for your supper."

They proceed. Uncle Pido leads and she follows behind him. She wonders why he's strange. His voice is quite trembling. He seems to be bothered with something she can't figure out. It is dark now, no more traces of daylight. They pass a balete tree. Magda remembers some tales about white ladies in balete trees. It is so known that many people in their barrio had already seen white ladies. She's scared again. She feels as if someone is following her.

"Are you not going to light it now, uncle Pido? It's really dark here. I'm afraid we could step on some vipers."

"Huh? Uh, later, Magda."

They have been walking for half an hour. Magda's worries deepen. They are now at the copra oven. It's huge. It is roofed with G.I. sheet and it's floor is made up of bamboo. It is a dead place. The fresh smell of copra welcomes them though there are no more copra on the oven. The place is a little humid and dusty.

"Where is the carabao and the sacks of copra, uncle, Pido?" she asks. " We need to hurry for you to catch the copra buyer before it closes. My grandmother is surely puzzled why I am not at home at this hour."

" I tied the carabao around that molave tree nearby. I covered the sacks of copra with anahaw leaves. Let me go over there."

He gives the torch to Magda and hands her the matchbox. He goes to the molave tree. The whole place is very dark. The moon does not show itself. Only the small stars in the sky reveal their presence. Magda is not familiar of the place. She wants to see what is around. She winds and crumples the tip of the coconut leaf. It crackles as she does it so. She opens the matchbox, draws a stick, and lights the torch. The flame gets bigger and fiercer as it burns one leaf over the other. The light is steady now. It exposes the inherent beauty of Magda. She can see her surroundings where the light is able to reach. Uncle Pido from afar sees her as well. He notice something about her. He realizes that Magda is no longer a young girl. She looks like a young lady in her straight, black hair. The light illuminates her beauty. Her skin glows. Her erect breasts are teasing. They grow well too soon for a fifteen-year old. She is taller than most of the girls in their barrio. He recognizes her beauty far better at this time. He has a stirring within himself. He feels awry. He is staring at her for some moments. He stops untying the carabao. He changes his plan. Vicious thoughts are coming to his mind. The urge to do it controls his being. He goes to his small hut instead. He is brought to his toolbox. He is holding a bolo now. He suddenly feels nervous. A sudden blaze of heat consumes his body. He's shaking. He lets the time pass for quite some time. On the other hand, Magda is still standing next to the oven waiting for him. She is uneasy. She keeps looking around.

"Uncle Pido, are you not done yet?"

He hears her. He gets back to his consciousness but he doesn't answer. Magda repeats it. Still no answers heard. He holds his breath for a moment.

"Uncle Pido, are you playing some jokes with me?"

" Uncle Pido?"

" Uncle Pido, I am really scared now."

He can no longer control his nerves. He holds his bolo firmly. He slowly walks towards Magda. She is still standing at the place. The flames has slowly eaten the torch very much that it could only give off its light for a few more minutes. The heat is tormenting the girl even more this time. Uncle Pido is very near to Magda now but is still hidden with darkness. The poor girl doesn't notice that he is just behind her. She is still beautiful even when looked at the back. He holds his bolo even tighter now. He prepares to dash forth. In a snap of the time, he could put a dagger on the girl's back. The girl continues to call her. He raises his right arm gripping his bolo. He is ready to strike her now. Suddenly, the face of Magda's father flashes in his mind. He is terrified. He looks at her. He throws the bolo away and it smashes through a rock. Magda hears the sound. She shudders and turns back. She sees uncle Pido.

"Why... Why are you here, uncle Pido? I thought you were untying your carabao. How did you come here?"

"It doesn't matter, Magda. I changed my mind. I will just deliver the copra tomorrow. The buyer has closed the store at this time for sure. I'm sorry for disturbing you. I think we should go now."

Magda wonders. She recognizes that his voice is even trembling this time. She wonders how he gets behind her and asks him of the sound she just heard. She cannot understand why he changed his decision.

"You are right, uncle!" Magda affirms.

The two of them walk home. Uncle Pido lights another torch. It is a silent trip. Uncle Pido is not talking at all. Magda enjoys gazing at the stars. She's still hoping for the moon to come. She hears the sound exchanges of evening insects. She sees the same balete tree from afar. It is very beautiful. It is covered and beautifully lit with fireflies. It looks like a very big Christmas tree. She feels lighter now. The horrible thoughts of white ladies are not coming through her mind.

Magda finally arrives. She realizes she just had a strange evening. She greets her grandmother and presses her grandmother's right hand to her forehead. The old woman wonders why she's late but doesn't care asking further questions. The young girl is preparing to cook the squids for them to eat. The smell of the squids starts to stink badly.

"Perhaps, I was too late to cook them that's why they stink this bad," she thinks.

© 2015 makoy


Author's Note

makoy
Please do you have a stamina to read as well as to give your honest review:-)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on May 16, 2015
Last Updated on May 16, 2015
Tags: The temptation, new, makoy, short story