hope

hope

A Story by Mandy Flisher
"

hopes journey from research lab to a home

"
Dedicated to
All the animals suffering by misguided hands
& to the unselfish love of those that give them a voice!

We will keep up the fight
‘until every cage is empty’

A portion of the books sales will be donated to Unite to care
So that more animals can be free!

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
There are so many people to thank for the inspiration of this book.
First and foremost Vicky Fraser founder of Unite to care. Without the tireless and constant work, love and compassion of Vicky and the Unite to Care team, Hope and the 10 foals rescued all in the same year from research institutions Would be dead now!
Acknowledgement must be given to the unnamed female technician where Hope was
Held for six years. Without her pleading hope’s future would not be what it is now
Linda who has a heart as big as a mountain who takes in and heals, loves and nurtures lost and forgotten dogs who have been cast out in some shape or form.
Sammy my beautiful daughter who gets dragged out on daily dog runs.
To my beautiful loved ones who love me for who  am. To Gemmy our resident love pup who unselfishly allowed hope in.
Hope for letting me in bit, by bit and has shown immense bravery and forgiveness!

HOPE
Introduction

This is not a tale of fiction and is not pure imagination. Hope is real and her story is certainly not an isolated one. Each year  thousands of animals such as Hope are picked up from shelters and bred all in the name of animal research. An Outdated method which serves no concrete purpose in the welfare of human kind! 

Once these animals have been used and have served their purpose they are mainly destroyed after suffering extremely painful existences.  Unfortunately there is still ignorance in the scientific industry and amongst the public who feel that animals serve their purpose for our common good. The animals used never see daylight or are permitted to go outside because of potential contamination. Neither do they experience joy or a touch of love. Their lives are abused in the apparent name of science. 

Hope once only a number is a sweet and gentle soul. Her beginning is an elusive one and little is known about how her first year of life contained, the only thing we know is that she was a year old when picked up off the streets in Albania by the research institute. She was cheap and treated as such.  A tool to exploit and cause unnecessary suffering.

Although some of the characters such as Nanny are fictional the institute and characters preceding her early years are real life characters. Institutional names have not been mentioned due to ongoing hopes that research animals such as Hope will be allowed to retire to loving homes rather than being put to sleep. They are just a mere number, therefore not living feeling beings but a test tube to research on, the researches become immune to the plights and suffering of these animals to a great extent, to further their need of interpreting data, which remains inconclusive to human wellbeing.

Hope was incarcerated within the institute! She entered as a sweet and placid soul and remained there for six years. It was near the end of her six years that she started to protest against the constant poking prodding and tubes forcibly shoved down her throat that she warned the clinician (male) away from her. She started to growl and bared her teeth at him out of fear. She had given six years of her life to him and his painful and constant tests, all in the name of science? The doctor decided that she no longer served a purpose, so she was muzzled and put on the destroy list. Fact!

It was the female technician who begged and pleaded with the doctor that a home should be found. It was the female technician that stood there crying and had grown to love her, it was this same female that gave her the name Mary. She then reached out to Unite to care and its founder Victoria Fraser that gave Mary that chance.  This is when her life truly begins. The work of Unite to care is always ongoing and has already in one short year saved the lives of 11 animals used in research. They aim to ensure there is a fine day where…

‘ every cage is empty’

We changed her name to Hope because she needed to start again, so what better name and advocate. She now represents her fellow research buddies and hopes one day they too will have the hope that she now has. 
Animal research is not the saviour of the human race, it actually provides inaccurate data. The human DNA is more likely linked to a banana. If our DNA was as accurate to a dog or rat, then pray tell me why we have vets and doctors! Why separate?
The simple truth is a harsh reality and simply that animals are voiceless, they are unable to protest, they are not able to site their rights. They are easy to handle and control, they are also too easy to dispose of. It is time man realized that animals whatever the species are here on this earth to walk beside us not for mans desire to take advantage. We need to be the voice for those without and we need to be their advocates.  Animal  abuse in all its forms needs to STOP! 
Once your eyes are opened, they will never again be averted!

Hope
My earliest feeling was  the warmth of my mother, the garbled sounds around me, my brothers and sister close by to me. I only knew this warmth and felt nothing but being at peace, safe and protected. I could feel the beating of our hearts as though there was one…strong! Sometimes, I would hear sounds within my mother, funny sounds like air. It would be later I would truly know what these sounds were.

On the day I was born, I lost a brother. He did not make it into the cool night air that hung all around us in the Albanian suburbs. My mother frantically licked us all, especially my lost brother in the hope that breath would bring him back to us. It was not to be. His time although short will be with me forever and help give me strength in later years.

My mother , left us for a very brief moment carrying the lifeless little body of my  brother, her head low. On her return my remaining two brothers, sister  and I moved into the shadowed existence of an underpass. The sounds of drunken men and noisy cars were at first very frightening. We learnt to live with it. We lived among the lost and disregarded.  Broken bottles lay everywhere shattered glass showing the reality of shattered lives and dreams. I had my family at least which was all that mattered. The sharp cool wind lashing at our family circle all close and enveloped around each other as though a protective shield covered us from outside harm and kept us sheltered.

Even though my mother was weak she was able to nurse us the best she could but too afraid to leave us meant that food eluded her and had become a distance remembrance, day by day she went without so we may be safe but the lack of nourishment for her meant that she was unable to contain her milk flow, she became so weak from hunger that one day she had hardly any milk at all. We pawed so hard to get our milk that it made her sore, But try as we might milk was becoming scarce and  that was the first time I felt air in my tummy and the sounds I had once heard in my mothers womb were now my own. It echoed all around me. It is as though my little lost brother had given up his life so we had more of my mother to share, but she had given all she had to give.

By  chance a woman approached us one very cold night. I clung to my mother who’s breath was weak and shallow, the heartbeat that had once thundered all around me and I had stayed close too on nights such as these was slow and  I could hardly hear or feel it at all. The woman seemed calm and kind but I wanted my mother to protect us from the stranger and I started to cry. My mother unable to stir was being comforted by the stranger and she sat stroking my mothers head.

The woman and now a companion were talking.

‘Hello…is this the animal shelter?’
‘I have found a dog and her puppies…she is in pretty bad shape and barely alive…can I bring them in?’
The next moment we were all taken to a local animal shelter. The lights were bright and hurt my eyes. I was not used to such brightness. They took my mother into a room where a man with gloves and a mask on, stood in wait. My two remaining brothers and my sister were taken to another room with me where a woman waited. She spoke softly to us and picked each of us up in turn.

She listened to our hearts. Looked at our teeth and looked at every part of us. Then she gave us all an injection. I cried for my mother. I was so afraid.

After this frightening experience we were bathed and dried. Then best of all we were given food which we gulped down. Mother had so little milk to feed us all that it felt like we had not eaten for all of our lives. We were then taken to a quiet room with bedding, my mother was there looking a little brighter for now she had eaten too and embraced us and licked us with all her might.
This is what happiness is…safe and together!

For two years we all lived in the shelter. The barking of other dogs was suffocating. Pleas from them begging to be taken out of the camp to be free and to have a family!

 When we first came here is was a safe haven, a place to become nourished but then we were not able to leave. The once kind strangers had become complacent we were just more unwanted ones with nowhere to go and there were so many of us. We were allowed to have a companion walk with us twice a week but it was not enough. Hours listening to the saddened howls, having to be housed in small enclosures where our own excrement and food were common friends. 

I needed to run and be free.

I remember when my two brothers and sister were adopted and I also remember my mother being taken away crying. My siblings walked out with companions happy with tails wagging while my mother was taken by a worker at the shelter down a corridor and into the same room she was taken  two years ago. The fear and sadness in my mothers eyes made me cry, her tail between her legs in fear. Everything I had ever known and loved was gone and I lay in the corner of my enclosure hoping that they would come back…but they never did. 

I was broken! I had nowhere and no one to turn to.

You may wonder why no one wanted to adopt me! Well I was always very protective of my loved ones and my duty was to lay low , while my siblings yapped all excited to see potential families I would stay close to mother and resume my place in the background, so I guess I became unnoticeable?  I wish they would understand that I wanted to be loved and love in return but I was so afraid.

In desperation and nothing left to loose I took the opportunity one day while on my walk with the companion.  I had no reason to stay here at the shelter any longer and I did not want to walk as mother had down to the room at the end of the corridor. So knowing he was a good person who came to the shelter on a weekly basis to help walk us forgotten ones. I took my chance! He attempted to give affection in the short time we shared together . It was his kindness that set me free.

As he removed my leash the kennel door was slightly ajar , as I was so reclusive and unlikely to run, I bounded as fast as I could much to their surprise, I ran this way and that petrified they would catch me again. Slipping and sliding all around the floor panicked workers trying to catch me. I was so afraid, but finally I bounded out to the yard and jumped with all my might over the fence and just kept running until I felt enough distance was between me and the camp!

Exhausted I slowed down and almost collapsed. I looked back to check I was not followed.  I had been confined for two long years and now I was without my family. No mother or siblings to cling to in this big world out here.

I saw an underpass in the distance which brought back memories of earlier days when we were all together and I remembered my  little brother who had left us too soon. I thought of him and it made me feel stronger, for he was at rainbow bridge with my mother now, This gave me hope that one day we would all once again be together at rainbow bridge. It was knowing this that gave me the will to carry on. After all he had sacrificed his life so that I could live.

I made it to the underpass where the same disregarded rubbish lay scattered, only I was lucky this time as an old chicken carcass was laying there in used wrapping. I looked around and devoured it completely gagging on the bones as they caught my throat. I needed to survive. That same lashing wind was all around me pulling at my coat but I nestled into myself and thought of my family. I thought of my siblings in their new homes and wished we could still be together.

Nightmares flashed in my dreams, mother being taken away, constant aching in my body hoping that one day I would have a family to call my own. Suddenly an awful noise awoke me, snarling and eyes beaming. I had a dog standing over me. I did not know what to do. So I did what I could only do! I remained submissive. Still the dog kept on with the snarling, I thought it would rip me apart. Then suddenly as if by a miracle another dog came bounding from nowhere and took the dog on. There were bared teeth, heinous blood curdling screams. The dog that had intimidated me ran like the wind still screaming. The dog that had attacked it stood there eyeing me then she sat by me. Could I have made a friend? Or was I about to be ripped apart?

She was a collie who had lived as she had for a very long time. I saw patches of baldness and scars on her body. She was a fighter and survivor and at least 8 years old.

I am not sure why she decided to stay with me or why she protected me but she did. Afraid and unsure I remained there too tired to move and too afraid to fight if I needed to! The old girl laid beside me as though she knew  my fear, she licked my nose to tell me it was ok and her body protected me from the wind and warmed me.

Finally almost comfortable I closed my eyes and slept.

My ears were on stand by at all times. I do not remember a day other than in my mother’s embrace where I could ever completely relax. Although there was sense of comfort in being sheltered by the dog who seemed to be very street wise and dare I say reminded me just a little of my mother. She had that protective element about her.

I awoke once again, only this time it was by the sharp sunlight shining onto my face. For a moment I had forgotten all that had happened. At that moment on waking I could have been like my siblings and waking up by the bed of my human companion with a food bowl filled with food and a soft pet on the head telling me how loved I am. 

But then the stark reality hit me once again.

I looked around me ears alert in case of threats and the need to defend myself. I then remembered the old collie who sheltered me from harm and realized she was nowhere to be seen. I felt a little sad. What do I do now, where can I find food; the old chicken carcass was all I had eaten yesterday. I also realized that I may have made a big mistake for at least at the shelter I had food and water. Out here I was on my own and food was scarce. 

As I looked out across this bleak landscape I heard the footprints of a dog approaching from behind me. I knew I had to toughen up if I was to survive and have a shot at life albeit on the streets.

I got ready to defend myself then saw the old collie standing there wagging her tail. She had something in her mouth. I think it was an old burger or something. She dropped it on the floor and smiled at me. She then nudged me to encourage me to eat it. I submissively started to nibble then realized how hungry I was and it was gone in a flash. She barked at me and beckoned me to follow her. 

So looking back and around me I knew I had nowhere else and followed her carefully. I wonder what her story is.

I guess like me my new friend had experienced much sadness and hardship but she certainly knew how to survive and adapt. All dogs deserve to be loved I know this; I also know that if someone loved me I could with time and trust be their best and most loyal companion. At this point in my life that is something I have not and will not ever have. Not at the moment at least. It is hard for me to see past each day. 

I only know that I have to make it each day and survive everything. I do not like being so stressed out, everywhere around me is a threat to me and to my new friend, how she manages to reach out to me is warming, I could not have done that, what it is about me that has earned her time and loyalty.

We looked at each other my ears and stance a little more relaxed and I followed her. We walked a while then came to a home with a pretty fence around it. Children were playing with two young dogs, the resemblance to my new friend was remarkable. Were these young ones her litter? If so then why was she not with them? My friend just watched them and cried. She looked at me as if to say ‘they are happy and safe’ then we turned tail and wandered to nowhere.

I could tell my friend was sad and I could not think why her litter was there and here she was roaming the streets. It appears that the home we visited was once her home until she had her last litter. She was used to produce litters to make her companions money. And as she was now older and unable to manage yet another litter she had been dumped never allowed to return. So my friend had survived that heartbreak of human rejection to become rather streetwise in a much shorter time than I had first thought.

I guess her need to see her litter was what kept her going and she looked upon me as a daughter. She missed them and saw the need in me for help from an elder. It also appears that she needed me as much as I needed her. We visited her litter every day. We survived on scraps where we could find them. We dodged cars and angry people who cursed at us and threw things at us.

I soon learned quickly from my friend and soaked up her warmth and companionship. It was not so bad being out here with her by my side. It was as though I had a mother and a friend again. 

We maintained our freedom for three more months and then a dark cloud once again beckoned to me.

While resting my friend and I were cornered  by a group of uniformed people, A van lay in wait with other barking dogs inside. The humans approached us with caution. I started to back away and  looked to my friend who had become submissive. I noticed that as she did this the humans were not so heavy handed or angry so that is when I realized that to gain human gentleness I would follow my friends lead and perform the submissive stance.

It worked, a leash was put upon me, my friend and I were ten lifted into back of the van. I looked around me and saw the unhappiness in the others around me total Confusion and desperation,  Dogs who would have given their lives for just one gentle word or touch! Many were cast out like my friend, I was lucky really because I have never had a human home nor will I ever.

We stopped another time after our pick up and another very frightened dog was bundled into an already cramped van. Where were we going? I had an awful feeling that I would not like it wherever it was. Something felt so wrong. I looked upon my collie friend who looked as though she had given up. She would never be able to check on her litter again and it looked as though her heart was broken. She just remained quiet and lay down in complete hopelessness. This made me sad too!

We arrived at another animal shelter, I am happy to say it was not the one I had run from but it was still a shelter all the same. Same confined walls, same insane unhappiness. I guess this is it now. 

My friend and I were in pens beside each other and each day with the sad panicked barking I would see her  become more and more listless. She refused to eat and drink. The shelter companions were very kind and made sure we were kept an eye on but my friend longed for her litter and home. By not being able to return she felt she had no reason to live. The companions would sit with her and try and encourage her each day without any response.

I saw her fading more and tried to comfort her but it did not make her feel better. I pawed and licked her through the wire but I could not reach her it just made my tongue and paw saw. So I just lay there crying for her.

Then something wonderful happened! In the doorway of the shelter, staff were making a fuss and the sounds of crying babies could be heard, even over the din of the insane barking. My friend’s ears pricked up at once, then she lifted her head, but best of all she got up and started wagging her tail looking into the direction of the babies. The companion who often checked on my friend noticed this miracle and saw how my friend reacted to the babies. The babies mother had been hit and killed outright by a car while she searched for food. Leaving her babies in an abandoned bus depot, by pure luck a passer by had heard their cries wondering where their mother was.

So now these little babies were alone in this world, a feeling I had felt so often. The companion walked up to the shelter workers holding the babies and spoke with them a moment. She then came walking back holding one in her arm and showed my friend. I was amazed like the companion at how my friend reacted. She seemed her happy self again. So carefully the companion and the baby, as well as a growing audience of shelter workers stopped and watched in amazement at how my friend accepted the baby as her own.

So my friend who had lost all hope now had her reason for living again. Even though she would never see her own litter again she now had adoptive babies to live and care for. This is where it gets even better. She was such an amazing mother, like she had been to her babies and to me that she had a full time nanny position at the shelter. So you could say she worked there. Every little pup or frightened and forlorn dog was mothered by my friend. The shelter staff named her Nanny!

She was moved out of the enclosures and given her own important space to do her valuable and important role.
Although I was happy for my friend I was once again alone. I ate when I needed to I walked when I needed to. I did everything expected of me. I remained  submissive because I could not see the point in putting up a fight anymore. I conformed and accepted the fact that I was now institutionalized. 

I remained in the shelter for a few weeks and then it appears that my luck was about to change. A man came to the shelter looking for a dog without attitude. So all of my submissive behaviour could possibly pay off now I saw the companion walk towards me with the man…this is it I could be going home with him? He wore spectacles and seemed very friendly. He came to me and checked me over, teeth tail and all just like I remember from long ago. Could this really be my chance to have a happy life?

Yes!yes! It is papers were signed and oh how happy I was jumping up at my human, going home like others had done. I am worthy of love after all. I could not contain my excitement and the man laughed. I could not wait to jump into his car. I love him already and I promise to be loyal and love him all of my life.

We drove off together and I was smiling looking out of the car window, I saw the underpass where I lived with Nanny and felt my heart bounce. I knew she was safe and happy and my dream had come true I have a human. I can learn how to play fetch like other domestic  and loved dogs do, I could even try and fetch his newspaper or slippers perhaps. Oh I was giddy, my happy ever after. For So long I had never thought this day would come.

We continued down the road until we came to a very big building, it did not look like the house Nanny and I had visited when we saw her litter. There were no children playing no white fence. Not at all, this was a big building with a high metal fence and barbed wire all around it. There were trees around and I saw a sign which read ‘veterinary hospital’. I did not understand where were the happy children?

We drove up to a barrier where men in caps and radios let the man and me in. The large barrier arms rose high in the air, I watched  not knowing what it meant. This is a very strange home.

Somehow although confused I looked at my male companion and trusted him. I wanted to be his loyal friend and be what he wanted me to be. He would keep me safe wouldn’t he? He would not hurt me?

We continued to drive for a few moments more and then pulled up and stopped. I was full of wonder and looked all around me and 
started jumping up at my companion. He did not seem to mind and made a fuss of me. We walked to a pair of large doors and I watched every move he made, I saw him press some buttons then a buzzing sound, which startled me a little but it allowed him to open the doors.

What place is this I thought. I kept looking at my companion and had a good look and sniff. The smell was very familiar and reminded me of the room I had once been it as a young dog. I cannot really describe it really…it was such a sharp scent. It was also very bare and full of corridors. I saw some people walking around wearing white coats and they looked very important.

My companion led me through the maze of corridors and I am certain that I heard a dog crying in the distance. I found this rather sad as it was a cry unlike any other I have heard before. It was a weak but loud cry. I shrugged it off and continued to sniff as we walked wondering what this place and surroundings was all about.
We came to a door and we then stopped, I saw my companion press more buttons and we entered a room. The room had no windows and there was a crate in the corner.  My companion removed my leash and I scurried around sniffing and investigating my new surroundings. My companion made a fuss of me and opened the crate. I went over and sniffed inside. There was a water bowl and a food bowl with some dried food in it. I sniffed it and tried a nibble. It tasted very bland but I was hungry so ate what was in the bowl. There was not much of it to eat but enough to cure any hunger pains.

My companion encouraged me to settle in the crate and I had no reason to complain. I was tired after all the days excitement and felt I need to rest. So I went into the crate loyally and lay down. I panicked when he closed the door of the crate behind me though and cried. It was not what I expected. I have known dogs to lay beside the fire and by their companion’s bed. I thought that is what I was here to do?

My companion spoke some words to me and walked away and out of the door. I cried for a while and kept looking at the door hoping he was coming back. He did not come back that night. All night long I would fall in and out of sleep wondering where he had gone. I heard strange sounds and the distant cries of other dogs. 

The buzzing of the tube lighting was very loud. Here I am in a strange place. No fireplace or slippers. Just funny sounds and a missing companion!  I looked through my crate to try and understand this place; I saw only metal trolleys and a table with wheels on. I tried not to think too much but it was so new to me. 

I think I must have managed to sleep a little more and I was startled by the sound of the door opening and I wagged my tail, my companion had come back and seemed pleased to see me. He was wearing one of the white coats I had seen yesterday, he spoke to me in a friendly way and brought another companion with him. She was also very pleased to see me and I was overjoyed.

The female companion came towards me  bent down to me and told me what a pretty girl I was and I wagged my tail so hard it banged against my crate. I have never had such nice companions before, I liked it very much. I barked with excitement but wanted to get out of the crate.
My male companion spoke to the female companion and directed her to release me from the crate. As she opened it I jumped at her with happiness and nearly knocked her over. She just laughed and stroked my head and showed me much affection. Oh I was so happy to be out of the cramped crate and to see my male companion and now a female too! Is this my new family? The male companion came over to me and picked me and placed me on the table. The female continued to give me affection and tried to subdue my excited behaviour.

The male companion then examined me and the female reassured me. I was ok and trusted them both. They just wanted to make sure I was ok like when I was a pup with my brothers and sister. Now I was like them, I had a home and next they would give me food. 

Only this time my mother was not there to comfort me, but I was ok!

He felt my tummy and then washed his hands, he then put on some gloves and reached for a needle. I guess another injection like before?

He bunched up the scruff of my neck and put the needle in. I did not feel anything but started to feel very strange. I became very tired and could not hold myself up. The female companion held me as I could not stay awake any longer  my eyes became so heavy and everything became so blurry. The companions were talking but it was all burbled and I fell into a deep sleep.

I woke up very groggy and back in my crate. I could hardly lift my head and felt as though my head was too big for my body and my throat was so dry and sore. I also had a very saw paw and wanted to lick it but did not have the energy. I just could not seem to wake up properly and did not feel well at all. I just lay there and with bleary eyes saw the female companion looking over at me and I could just make out the male companion putting small bottles into a fridge.

It took me a while to regain my senses properly. What had happened?

The female companion came over to me and I wagged my tail the best I could. I licked my paw as she opened my crate. Why did it hurt so much. I noticed the rusty taste of blood on my sore paw and also saw that my fur was much shorter. My mouth was still very dry. The female companion gave me some water which I gulped down. It felt so soothing as my throat felt a burning sensation.  

The female companion stroked my head tenderly. I was just happy to lay still and accept the affection and closed my eyes not feeling the way I had before being put on the table. I think that night I was far too tired to look at the door at my missing companions or to be  bothered by distant cries and neon lighting.

I awoke once again feeling much better and the male and female companions were there again. The female companion had a lead and clipped it onto the collar I had been assigned to I also noticed a heavy feeling in my ear. I kept pawing at it. It felt so strange. It was a tag with a number on it in bright yellow. I kept trying to get rid of it as it felt too heavy in my ear. The female companion kindly comforted me but it was so annoying. Seeing I was not happy the companion encouraged me to walk with her. 

We walked into the corridor which I had not seen since I arrived. We walked for a short time to a larger area where I was allowed off my lead to investigate and relieve my self. I was not allowed outside and I still saw no windows just bright neon lighting everywhere!

This was now my life!
I did not really understand any of it.  I became so exhausted by the constant needles and the constant medications that I just accepted this as my life. On a regular basis I was removed from my crate and each time placed on the table, I would always end up in  my crate feeling groggy, weak and   with patches of fur missing. I noticed that it was on my legs and paws until one day.

I was as usual placed and handled as many times before but when I woke up this day my tummy hurt. They had started with taking bloods and injecting different medications which sometimes made  me sick, gave me an upset tummy and even frothing at the mouth with no control I could not stand up at all some days.

That was how life was for me, I handled it each time but what hurt me mostly was that my male companion had stopped giving me affection. He handled me like an object and seemed to have forgotten how I loved him. All he does now is make me feel sick and weak.

The female companion often had tears in her eyes as she could see how I was fading away, I had lost all hope and had lost my spirit. I no longer jumped up  to greet them but tried to hide in the back of the small crate. I knew that each time they would come into the room I would be removed and placed on the table and then wake up feeling sick. 

I had been sedated so many times that I was becoming resistant to the medication and they needed a higher dose which took its toll on me. It made me more and less able to function. I had tubes forced down my throat while the sedation was not even working properly and it hurt me. Despite sedation I felt every painful moment. 

The worst of all was when they started to practice operations on me. They would let a student cut me open and investigate me. The male companion would watch and direct him but it hurt so much I though I would die right there. I had, had enough?

Six years I had endured such agony and let the male companion do as he wanted with my body without a care for me as his loyal companion. I once again waited for another day where I was to be opened up and have tubes forced into me with little sedation feeling every pull and cut. The male companion did not ask the nice female companion this day and came marching towards me. I did not hear one kind word or see a kind eye, instead he tried to grab me abruptly so I did something I would never have done and growled and bared my teeth to keep him from hurting me anymore. So he kicked my crate and walked off angry but then returned  with other men to help him get me out of the crate. There was so much shouting and anger, I felt so confused. They were rough and scary. I yelped with all my might but they just restrained me and put a horrible and hard plastic muzzle on me. 

I shut down which made it difficult for them and I heard the male companion who had betrayed me say that I was no good to him any more. It was the female companion whose eyes I looked into that was to help me. As I looked at her I saw pools of tears in her eyes and she pleaded for my life. My time had come and I was to be destroyed. I was once a little dog full of gentleness and love, now I trusted no-one and feared everything. I had experienced so much pain at mans hand I just could not take it anymore.

The female companion remained kind and I owe her my life! The little life I felt I had at that point anyway. I thought once again of my lost little brother, it seems so long since he had come into my thoughts he always reminded me of how precious life was.

I never saw the male companion again but the female companion was my guardian until I could be moved to safety, it needed to be quick. The female companion had confidence and belief in me despite my inner madness and torment, she saw something in me no-one had ever tried to see before. All my life I have been at the mercy of human hands, what will become of me now?

She came and collected me from the torture chamber where I had lived for most of my life and where I grew from a young dog into middle age. I was led through those corridors again but this time we headed around a corner where a door with windows stood before me. I had not seen this before, she opened the door after pushing those buttons I remember so well and for the first time in six years I stepped outside.

It hurt my eyes and I feared the outside world. I refused to go through the doors and pulled back. I kept trying to lift my paws away from the ground which was a stranger to me. I had been so used to cold clinical floors. This new ground was so different and felt uncomfortable.

She was so patient with me as I just could not bare the thought of stepping outside. So she reached into her pocket and gave me a treat, it tasted so nice much nicer than the dry food I had eaten all this time. Then she dropped some on the ground outside. I took each step through that door reluctantly and as though my paws were on fire.

Before I knew it I was outside and there was no going back, I looked around me tail between my legs afraid of the wind and the sounds. I heard dogs barking and they were louder than I had ever heard before, my senses started to awaken and too much to take in. 

There was a car there and friendly looking people, I had no idea they were taking me away from this place. I just wanted to run. What if they hurt me like my male companion?

I slipped out of the female companions grip and ran for my life but there was nowhere to go. I ran around a corner and stopped in my tracks. There were large containers there and the lifeless bodies of fallen dogs like me. They had either died through the constant experiments or destroyed due to their inability to serve anymore useful purpose. I barked and barked and felt so trapped and afraid. I was so consumed by these horrible sights of my fallen comrades and so scared that this could have been my fate that when the female companion rushed around the corner with the strange people I just completely shut down unable to move. I shook so violently my muscles ached.

What is there for me now, what and where am I to be taken now?

Hope

Pictures taken by the female technician in the institute
Muzzled to silence protest

1
2
Hope sedated for more tests
2
Background is blurred to not implicate the institute. Ear tagged and numbered!

3
Sedated!
I was scooped up while remaining rigid; a man placed me into the back of the car. I know it was a struggle for the man as I was so tense I put my full body weight on his arms. I could see the veins in his arms and sweat building.

On the back seat a kind female companion sat with me. I had a blanket and there were cloths in case I had an accident. She gave me space but also kept her hand on me to comfort me and to keep me calm. My heart was beating so fast!

I closed my eyes on and off, every time I tried to close my eyes my fears got the better of me and I would instantly open them again. I could feel every movement of the car, I could feel the little bumps here and there with every road surface change. The male companion was driving and had his window open and I could feel warm breeze coming through the window. I could also smell the burning cigarette he had as he concentrated on the road the female companion continued to keep her hand upon me.

Oh what had I done to deserve mankind to throw me into such fear and confusion?

I had always been a good girl haven’t I? I had allowed companions close and even allowed my male companion at the institute to hurt me all the time. I did not mean to growl at him but I just did not want him to hurt me anymore. 

I thought about my lost family and yearned to see them again. I was so disappointed with humans and thought good people were nowhere to be seen despite the female companion beside me. The doctor also had a female companion so was this man companion  the same?

We arrived at a house; it was nothing like the institute and was like the one I had seen with Nanny. That was a comfort to me but I was not willing to get out of the car because I did not know what was inside for me.

I had no reason to fear as I was taken to a large area where there was lush green grass and I saw other dogs playing and running. They looked happy and not afraid. There were metal fences but not as high and it seemed that it separated different patches of land, where packs of dogs packed with each other. It was all in the open air and looked rather inviting.

I had not interacted with other dogs since Nanny and found it difficult at first to interact with them. I stayed slightly away and kept my self to myself. I would watch them with each other and thought how nice it was to be so carefree but I just could not let my guard down. I needed space and I needed time. All those years imprisoned in a crate only able to be free twice a week with a companion away from natural light, my heart wanted to be carefree so much but I just felt so isolated.

I felt alone!

I stayed here at this sanctuary for 8 weeks. Not a bad thing happened to me but I found it hard to adapt, I tried to copy other dogs but I did not bond with anyone as much as I wanted to. The companions who had brought me here were so kind and reached out to me and I tried but I knew this was only a stepping stone. 

I was right because I was again to go on a journey. I travelled to a place called Greece where I would have sanctuary one again at a lady called Linda’s home. Again many dogs and lots of barking and excitement! So many dogs like me who had been hurt in one way or another. Some abandoned, some beaten, some were literally chucked out of moving cars and were left paralyzed in their back legs. 

I understood their pain but had no bonding like I had with Nanny.

Linda was such a special person to help us and to give us love, affection, time and space. Each dog here was treated with the most extreme kindness. I started to loosen a little and responded to Linda in a way I thought I would never be able to do again. I still had fellow dog issues through not understanding their dog behaviour as my natural dog instincts were still a little confused with human conditioning but I was learning.

I had to start my life all over again, I needed to learn how to be a dog and not an object. Linda would give me one to one attention and treated me with frozen bones on hot days. I also became very fond of Linda’s husband and I would sneak into his study and sleep by his feet just as I had dreamed of so many times in earlier times.

I felt very cared for and started to make myself at home more than I had ever done in my whole life. 

I learnt how to play and loved my frozen bones and I made a huge leap forward with my dog companions too!

Well it was one dog really called Maverick, he was permanently in Linda’s care because he had paralyzed legs. I am unsure why this was but he was left to die until Linda and her husband welcomed him into their home and hearts. They even got him a wheelchair to support his back legs. We would go out on nice evening walks along the beach with each other. 

I cannot understand what it was about Maverick that allowed him into my space and heart. I felt as though my lost brother may have been very much like him. We were around the same age too.

Life was starting to feel very nice indeed.

Linda allowed people to come and stay with her to get help with us all and one particular day a female companion from the uk came to visit. I thought she was another volunteer like so many before her. I had relaxed much more by now and did not see her as a threat. It seems that without me knowing there was a lot of different things going on in the background for my benefit and this female companion from the uk was a big part of that.

You see Linda was not to be my lifetime human companion. I had one more journey to make and this lady called Vicky was the crucial human to make my life  a happy ever after one. 

Vicky stayed with us for a few days and went back to the uk. I thought that I would never see her again and that my life would end on the beach with Linda. I know there was a lot of phone calls and a dreaded vet clinic to visit. I found that very hard but survived because I knew Linda would protect me. I trusted her with my life.
If I was at the doctors then I knew it was to make sure I was in good health. I had to have injections but it did not hurt and once I had them I was allowed a treat and left, no crate, no feeling bad or sick.

I was safe!
I stayed with Linda for a month, I wanted to stay I really did but my destiny was in the Uk. Behind the scenes the lady companion Vicky worked tirelessly to get me away from the institute, to the sanctuary and then to Linda’s my final journey would lead me to my home for life. I just did not know that yet.

Vicky was my saviour and does not agree with how I was treated at the institute and wants to help others like me to find homes away from the horrors of our pasts. 

On the day of my finale journey, I had to say goodbye to human companions I started to love and will always love.   I had to say goodbye to Maverick too, my adopted brother by heart. I did not know that I would not see him again. To me it was another journey another move and yet more companions to have to get to trust and know again.

I did not know that after arriving in the uk Maverick would move on to rainbow bridge. I know I will see him in years to come. Thank you my friend!  
 

 
Me chilling and rather relaxed at Linda’s
My friend Maverick who passed away 2013 after  I left Linda’s
So here I am again on this journey of life. I have been alive on this earth for 7 years now and many of those years have been painful and frightening. It seems now my final journey was about to begin.

Yet again a male and female companion had been assigned to be my travel companions. I was to be escorted from Greece to the UK accompanied by another little dog much smaller than me. We were crated and my crate felt very small indeed. 

I know there was much media interest in me in the Uk which gave me safe passage with the companions. 

It has been told that escorts that travel to countries with dogs going to far away homes take money and then the dogs disappear. I was lucky though as I had good companions. I also had the protection of Vicky in the Uk. 
I started to travel with my human and little dog companion with an open mind. I had already been through so much I thought the worst now would be death, this would give me release and see my loved ones at rainbow bridge.

I had no need to worry though!

My dog companion and I were fed, watered and allowed out of our crates at times. I was glad because I felt so confined. Stretching my legs felt like heaven. I seemed to be rather travelled now though. From Albania, Greece. Holland, France and then Kent in the Uk 

We arrived in Holland and stayed there for a while which was really nice. My dog companion and I were so glad to just have fresh air and get rid of the crates from around our bodies. 

The human companions seemed very nice and made sure we were not unhappy and as comfortable as we could be considering the long journey. It was easier to bare all of the travelling by trying to shut out any thoughts I may have so I just curled up and closed my eyes as much as I could and accepted what ever fate lay ahead. For some strange reason I knew I would be ok. I was a survivor and strong. Look at everything I have been through and I am still here. 

We travelled by sea on calm waters throughout the night until we arrived at the port of Folkestone in kent. We had to go through customs which was rather daunting but my little dog companion and I were once again on dry land.

Once back into the car we left the ferry and drove into a spacious car park and there in a white van sat Vicky and another female companion. I was safe in my cramped crate looking at Vicky’s familiar face and another not so familiar face. I noticed they looked tired. I had no concept of time but I did notice when they opened the car door and spoke to me with those tired but friendly faces the sound of seagulls and the cold crisp air.

There was much talking and Vicky and the fellow female companion opened my crate and beckoned me out. Everything was so different here and the cool air chilled my bones.
I needed encouragement to get out of the crate and I must admit I was just petrified. My ears were alert at all times I was looking at the companions, looking at all the port surroundings. I heard traffic in the distance and my tail was curled between my legs. The companion Vicky and her fellow female companion seemed so pleased and relieved to see me. I did not understand ,I had no knowledge of all the work that went on to get me here.

I was safe but I did not know it. The fellow female companion with Vicky held my lead but I just wanted to run as fast as I could because I was confused with what was going on. She comforted me in an accent not clear to me, but I listened to her tones and they were nervous yet kind.

She was my new female companion and would take me to her home, where I would spend the rest of my life. I just did not know it.

The companions who had brought my little dog friend and me here had to go and take the little dog companion to the north where he too would be in his new forever home and to live a life he never thought possible.
The new female companions name was Mandy and had agreed to help me. Vicky had contacted her and told her my story. It was a done deal. She just had to help even though I knew she was unsure and nervous.

Mandy and Vicky lifted me into the van as I was more eager to run than go with them. It is a common act for dogs like me to do in new and strange environments. It is a way of survival. When you think of everything that I had been through and the not knowing of what was to come you would understand. There was a blanket in the back and we made our way to my final destination. 

Vicky and Mandy kept reassuring me and looking at me. Mandy was sizing me up I knew it and I was doing the same to her. In a strange way I felt connected to her and she did to me. She would not know that but I sensed it. I had waited  my whole life to meet my soul companion. 

There is much work ahead for us I know that but I had an ok feeling about it.

When we arrived at Mandy’s home , although still on tender hooks it looked like a home, just a normal home windows and a door with plants in a garden. Before I could go into the home a lady called Jean came out with a little dog. I looked at this little dog and saw how loyal she was to Mandy as she went straight to her. I also watched as Mandy stroked and greeted her with affection. Seeing this I too accepted the affection.

I was already a little jealous of this little dog! She had an easy life and had not gone through what I have had to go through, the little dogs name is Gemma and she would take on the role as my mentor. I know I was bossy and pushy with Gemma I even shouted at her and pushed her around. I was not very kind to her and yet I watched her and learned from her. 
She showed me how to go to the toilet in the garden, where she sniffed I would follow. She was very patient and kind with me. I know my lack of friendliness made her fear me at first and I know that I pushed her away far too much. I just did not know what situation I was in and felt I needed that space again.

It just takes me a little while to adapt and because I have needed to keep strong and survive my defences were very high.

I remember that first day very well indeed and sensed Mandy and Gamma’s tension.  Mandy kept a very close eye on me at all times and gave me a bath. I remember her doing this very clearly. I followed her and Gemma upstairs and she bathed Gemma first to show me it would be ok and then she picked me up. 

She was shaking because she thought I would bite her, how could she think such a thing? I have never bitten anyone I promise. She knew what I had been through and was unsure  how to be. I know she felt sad for me but then I also knew we needed to move forward.

I had a nice new bed to sleep on and companionship; I also had a dog companion when I was ready to accept it. On the first day though I was so unsure about what this was all about and I lay on my new bed and looked out of the glass doors crying. Mandy saw me do this and came and sat with me giving me comfort. It was a nice feeling to be here but very confusing and once again a new person companion to know and then loose again.

I had quite a life so far and in one short day I had met new people and a dog companion, had a bath, eaten well and had a walk where I explored my surrounding.

I bonded with Gemma more as we walked and then later that day  Mandy’s family all came to meet me and I had my first taste of being welcomed into a proper family and not because they wanted to hurt me or inject me with things that made me sick but just because of me!

I also met another young female called Sammy this day. She could not walk and had a wheelchair like Maverick. So humans have poorly legs too? I was fascinated by this new world I had come into. I have never experienced so many different kinds of people all in the same place. 

For the first three months in my new home I was very defensive and although I followed the new life I did not know how long I would stay. Is this a stop gap again or perhaps a forever home. I liked it, I really did. Mandy, Sammy, Gemma and their family showed me so much kindness and did everything they could to make me feel a part of the family. I know the first three months were a bit difficult as Mandy was unsure she could cope with a dog like me with my little hang ups and thought too much about my damage inside. She was also scared I would not get along with Gemma.

She had nothing to fear because as I realized I was here to stay I   started to relax and become a well taught student with Gemma’s help.  I have really learned a lot from Gemma you know, she has been very forgiving of my bossy ways and I love going for walks with her. 

Sammy is fun too because she chucks me and Gemma treats when her mum Mandy is not looking. I also sneak a little toy out here and there…ssssh!

I was not let of the lead for those three months until Mandy was sure but when she finally had the courage to do so in a wide open field I ran as fast as the wind blew. The funny thing though is that I did not run to escape and not go back I ran and ran because I was free and I had a home with people who have hope and faith in me.

I even want to play with Gemma, and made a friend called ruby the spaniel.

I did the usual thing with a strange dog and barked with shackles up to these two dogs one called Maggie and her daughter Ruby. Well Maggie gave me a run for my money and told me in no uncertain terms I am not allowed to sass her daughter. I backed off and resumed the submissive manner and then something wonderful happened …

Ruby came over to me and kissed me on the nose!

I have not had that warm feeling since my mother and it broke the spell. We became the best of friends and ran, frolicked and played. I wanted to play with her forever. Gemma and Maggie our mothers just sat back and watched us play as we went CRAZY!
I was officially on the mend.

In mandy’s kitchen where treats and food galore live and where I jump up at mandy who then dances with me is a sign and the sign reads

Home is where the story begins!

As I had never officially had a home before it had little meaning to me. Now I had an understanding. Although my story had a shaky start my home is here and now a new chapter can begin. Six months later I am a gentle soppy family dog who has just celebrated Christmas like a family does. I can finally lay my head down on the big comfy sofa with my family around me and fall asleep contented despite Gemma’s loud snoring!

Me who had just arrived at the port of Folkestone 2013
          

                       Me and Vicky!

      

Me investigating by the pond

Gemmy my mate!

 

At the embassy before Home!
Look Gem!
There is a whole new world out there for me now!

HOME

Mandy

 

Ever since childhood I have detested any form of animals cruelty, I remember very clearly bawling my eyes out at fox hunting and lab rats to name just two of far too many atrocities against the voiceless.

I am very much for giving my voice on behalf of those who need it, mostly for my beautiful daughter who has profound disabilities. Through my daughter and my love of animals I advocated myself to signing petitions and the like on social media sites.

It was through a social media site that I came across the story of the little brown dog and Peta’s anti vivisection pages , it was also where I found a newly formed group called Unite to care, which was founded by Vicky Fraser and supported passionately by likeminded people such as my self.

We all had a common interest in ensuring that animals used in research are re-homed once their laboratory life has ceased rather than the animal being destroyed. The greatest would be the end of animal research all together but each step is a milestone.

I found myself getting more enlightened through the work of Unite to care and even though I knew that animal research was still rife it was not something I knowingly thought about until I became more open mined through Unite to care and was endeared and passionately agreed with their aim in helping the animals confined in institutions such as Hope had been such a big part of. It seems strange to look back from now that this little dog out there needed sanctuary and help.

I became so open to the atrocities of animal research and became so exposed to that and other abuses against animals that I started to attend  protests. These were not heavy overly vocal public displays but very gentle but powerful and may I say emotional. We become so consumed by daily routine that we do not realize the pain and suffering that is around us for animals such as research animals and the persecuted badgers, foxes, hares and countless others but also the human civilization as a whole.

So many need support and a collective to stand up and help them get recognition for help they need.

I would follow unite to care religiously and decided that I would travel to Alderly edge and stand united with these remarkable people and be another voice to an ever growing group. I have always wanted to be as passionate and take the leap in attending but there was always a reason to find excuses as to not do it!

I remember feeling very much out of my comfort zone and nervous as I had left Sam in capable hands but also very excited. I dropped Sam off at school and my sister Aimee collected me and after having a coffee together took me to Dover Priory station where I proceeded to get myself aboard the train to my overnight destination.

I felt a mission laid ahead not quite mission impossible but certainly a personal mission that I was very much proud to be part of. I was elated at coping with a journey by train and not getting onto any wrong carriages, please bare in mind I had not been on a train for over 15 years.

Tally hoe and all that!
 
I arrived on a pretty bright spring day at Alderly Edge station and made my way on foot to the little guest house full of friendliness and comfort. I had been as thorough as I could be to find one close to the meeting the following day to show my support for the beagles held close by. I took advantage of the bright and mild day as I wandered around the local area, which was extremely beautiful. I saw a man playing 18 hole golf in his own back garden which blew me away and I saw the institution which had the most outstanding luscious grounds imaginable. I could also hear faint barking as I walked the outskirts of the institution. 

It saddened me to think that all this beautiful and lush greenery around the institution was wasted on the beagles held inside. Trapped by a life of continual testing for mans so called good and welfare. Pah!

An institution guarded by security and common like many of these institutions do not enable the imprisoned beagles (in this case)  one tiny paw outside, as this would contaminate research tests. It also saddened me thinking of the breeders who bred these animals for no other purpose than to be used for research institutions!

Imagine being born and condemned to a life held captive in small cages with only metal to stand and sit on, just imagine never seeing natural daylight, imagine having  toxins forced into your body, being drained of bloods and having adverse dire side effects.  Animals in research die so easily through this barbaric lifestyle. Some may say well they don’t know any better? Well I beg to differ. An animal used in research such as dogs/beagles, Primates, rats, mice, fish, horses, cats, pigs and more to say the least are aware that they are being forced to conform, that they are injected by things to make them sick and to be forced to have masks on their faces to inhale poisonous substances. Animals have instincts! Would you not come to a point in your life if treated in such a manner where you knew something was not right, just as they do?
Anyway, I feel my point is underpinned here. I had a comfortable night sleep in this friendly  place and woke refreshed and eager to take my place. I was so eager I waited for some time across the road looking at the entrance wondering where everyone was and stated to feel a wee bit daft. I walked over to the security guard who was surprisingly polite and pointed out I was at the wrong entrance, my bad!

Oh well I trotted to the aforementioned entrance and saw the gathering, extremely relived I introduced myself and partook in the peaceful protest. Standing strong with my fellows and felt very welcomed and a part of what I hope will one day be a solution. We stood strong with supportive beeps from passing cars which made me feel such a sense of pride.

A doctor, who also attended, spoke eloquently and with vigour pointing out why animal research was outdated and the reality of the lives they lead. She also outlined better more effective non animal methods  had been  proven to supply human kind with better medical outcomes rather than the animal research methods which can do more harm than good!

What she said was true and informative, animals or rather test subjects are used for economic satisfaction and are supplied on demand and have no voice, so I guess protocol deems them as having no rights?

I agreed to take the leap of putting my name on the adopt list for a retired research dog without too much hesitation, although I did wonder how I would adapt myself with having a full hilt back home. I admit I did wonder if I   was doing the right thing or was I being hasty, perhaps that could be said I suppose?

I did not expect much to happen for a long time to come. I returned home to Sam and Gemma without really considering the speed of what was about to happen. I attended the Alderly edge gathering in early April and by May time I had Hope pictures and video footage  before my eyes. 

I was knocked for six at first but watched the video over and over again and looked at the pictures trying to get to know this new little fellow who would be coming to live with us. I saw the pain in her eyes from the research institute and there was nothing else for it I had to welcome her into our family despite my fears and inner concerns.

I was not truly sure how damaged she was, how would her and Gemma our resident dog get along? Would I be what Hope expected of me? I was unsure I was right for the job. I wanted to get everything right!

Day by day I imagined her here with us and with each day I adapted at least mentally to the new experience that was about to beset us. It is much easier for an animal to adapt than for a human to come away from the familiar daily routine.

By June just a few weeks after the peaceful protest at Alderly Edge and a few small false starts in timings and dates due to protocol overseas, Hope was making her final destination to us. Vicky and her mum Jean drove down from afar (up North) to Kent, selflessly using their energies for Hope’s arrival. It was an exciting night and no sleep was to happen as Hope would arrive at 4am in the morning at the port of Folkestone.

There she was! This frightened as can be little mite who had been through far too much! I was nervous to say the least and thought. Here we are! EEEK! Imagination in to practice now Mandy!

The first three months were very tentative as Gemma copped a couple of snarly bashings and there were many calls to Vicky with me feeling very under equipped and worried that this was not right for me or Hope. I felt on tender hooks pretty much most of the time. This was down to my lack of experience to be fair in regard to a little soul who had become impregnated with constant abuse.

I had no reason to fear, as the weeks past and the interim period of us all getting to know each other had passed I noticed something truly magical. Three months of tension just stopped in its tracks. 

I took Hope and Gemma over a local open field. I thought now is the time. I watched how the once constant ticking in my head had stopped and I noticed in Hope the  stress in her body language and face faded. Off came the lead!

At first she just wandered around and then…hey gusto!

Other than seeing my daughters face for the first time I had never seen anything so majestic or beautiful, the girl can run like the wind blows! The carefree nature of her running was something wonderful to behold and so symbolic of her new life living freely. Unchained emotionally and physically.

I will confess that my heart was in my mouth because I had this fear based obsession of her running off into the sunset and seeing how fast she can go, me in my willies was no competition. She had no intention at all. This was our point of companions and one I will cherish. We crossed that threshold that day.

It appears that we all needed time to adjust not just Hope. Now we were in a comfort zone and there was no going back.

I give thanks for Vicky’s confidence in me when I had none in myself and I give thanks to Hope for giving me the time needed and for teaching me the art of time and patience.

It was a proud moment for me to take Hope to a gathering at Alderly edge in the September to meet all of the amazing people who had invested time, donations and support to Hope. 

It gives me such pleasure to share our lives with this extraordinary little dog who has, guts, determination, a bossy yet extremely loyal and affectionate nature and a place in my heart. It was an amazing thing to see the difference in a once bewildered and afraid little dog into who she has always been inside. Despite being seven years old her first ever family Christmas was wonderful. For her to celebrate with us and to have a common respect with Gemma is the stuff of dreams!

Let us celebrate the success of this wonderful dog called Hope who is the way forward for many more to come.

I want YOU! Vicky Fraser to know how truly inspirational you are and to congratulate you on giving Hope this future now and to also mention the success that has since followed in Hopes footsteps such as the 10 little foals also rescued from a research facility in Wales. Who are waited on hands and hoofs through Vicky’s time. Love and dedication.

Eleven animals owe their lives to the compassion and relentless work of unite to care. Lives that would have been wasted  and unknown without such a group of extraordinary everyday people. Godbless you all!
Vicky Fraser
And Unite to care!

About
Negotiate the release and re-homing of beagles and other laboratory animals whilst pushing to replace animal tests with modern, more reliable alternatives.
Description
Unite to Care was founded by Victoria Fraser on the 28th Feb 2013 following the news that 300 dogs were being flown from Sweden to AstraZeneca in Macclesfield to be used in research laboratories. 

Since then the campaign has been extended to include every research facility in the UK to set up a retirement programme, as has been done very successfully in the USA by The Beagle Freedom Project. We are now working in partnership to help achieve this goal, whilst continuing to campaign for an end testing altogether.

There are 3 main aims which are :

Negotiate - We aim to negotiate the release and re-homing of beagles and other animals used in laboratory research.

Educate - We aim to peacefully raise awareness and educate members of the public, highlighting the use of Beagles for vivisection in the UK and the dangers of using animal models to their health due to the ineffectiveness of the tests. 

Change - We aim to promote change in current legislation to get animal research replaced with modern more reliable research that does not involve the suffering of any animal and does not risk the 
public’s health.
How you can Donate:
Any donation is greatly appreciated and helps our campaign enormously. Donations can be made via PayPal to [email protected]
Link to our Petition, please sign and share:http://t.co/XLqRB51q5G
Contact Us by Email:
Contact Us by Telephone: 
07944112541
Join our Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/C.A.R.E.1/
Our Website:
www.UnitetoCare.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/UnitetoCare
About CARE
CARE is a diverse cross section of the public with three main aims. They are:
1. To negotiate the release of any surplus dogs from laboratories across the UK.
2. To educate the public on the dangers to their health by allowing the current methods of testing to continue.
3. To peacefully campaign for an end to all animal tests.
We welcome anyone who would like to help in any way; the more people who know the truth, the quicker we will achieve our aims. Please click here to get in touch - join us today and help us to help them! 
What Unite to care say about

The Will To Live Gang!
The Will to Live gang namely, Walter, Isaac, Lester, Lottie, Tilly, Odie, Lola, Ida, Vinnie and Edward are now all safe and sound.
They were released into our hands on December 8th 2013 and although understandably frightened are now gaining confidence with each passing day.  All were due to be euthanized when we stepped in and transported them to snug new stables in Manchester.  They are now starting to realise that not all humans will hurt them.  Each pony has several closely clipped areas where they were administered injections and blood was taken.  They also  each have an identifying number glued to them but this will eventually come off.
Since joining us they’ve spent time in their huge sheltered field, running about and playing as babies should.  They are still very much foals who were born into laboratory life, and until now have had no idea how much fun living can be.   Taking tiny, gentle steps to slowly gain their trust has been key but it has paid off and seeing the positive changes in them is incredibly rewarding.
We’ve received kind donations which are being used for stabling, hay and general upkeep costs.  If you feel you would like to help our ponies PayPal donations can be made to [email protected].  Any donation is greatly appreciated and helps enormously.
Please visit our Facebook page for further updates about our ponies and our ongoing work at https://www.facebook.com/UniteToCare 

Walter is the real shy guy of the group. He doesn't have much confidence at all but he has formed a very strong bond with Vicky Fraser founder of Unite to Care. She has also fell head over heels in love with this quiet little baby and after a long hard think has decided that he has to be a permanent member of her family. Congratulations Walter you are no longer looking for a home and will have many happy years ahead being spoilt.

‘vicky Fraser 2014’
The truth

Some may argue that we need to use animals for advancement in medicine!
There is more reason to state an argument against though and some of these reasons are as follows as stated from the vivisection network.

1) Less than 2% of human illnesses (1.16%) are ever seen in animals.  Over 98% never affect animals.
2)  According to the former scientific executive of Huntingdon Life Sciences, animal tests and human results agree "5%-25% of the time."
3) Among the hundreds of techniques available instead of animal experiments, cell culture toxicology methods give accuracy rates of 80-85%
4) 92% of drugs passed by animal tests immediately fail when first tried on humans because they’re useless, dangerous or both.
5) The two most common illnesses in the Western world are lung cancer from smoking and heart disease.  Neither can be reproduced in lab animals.
6) A 2004 survey of doctors in the UK showed that 83% wanted a independent scientific evaluation of whether animal experiments had relevance to human patients.  Less than 1 in 4 (21%) had more confidence in animal tests than in non-animal methods.
7) Rats are 37% effective in identifying what causes cancer to humans �" less use than guessing.  The experimenters said: “we would have been better off to have tossed a coin."
8) Rodents are the animals almost always used in cancer research. They never get carcinomas, the human form of cancer, which affects membranes (eg lung cancer). Their sarcomas affect bone and connective tissue: the two are completely different.
9) The results from animal tests are routinely altered radically by diet, light, noise, temperature, lab staff and bedding. Bedding differences caused cancer rates of over 90% and almost zero in the same strain of mice at different labs.
10)Sex differences among lab animals can cause contradictory results. This does not correspond with humans.
11) 75% of side effects identified in animals never occur.
12) Over half of side effects cannot be detected in lab animals.
13) Vioxx was shown to protect the heart of mice, dogs, monkeys and other lab animals.  It was linked to heart attacks and strokes in up to 139,000 humans.
14) Genetically modified animals are not like humans. The mdx mouse is supposed to have muscular dystrophy, but the muscles regenerate with no treatment.
15) GM animal the CF- mouse never gets fluid infections in the lungs �" the cause of death for 95% of human cystic fibrosis patients.
16) In America, 106,000 deaths a year are attributed to reactions to medical drugs.
17) Each year 2.1 million Americans are hospitalised by medical treatment. 
18) In the UK an estimated 70,000 people are killed or severely disabled every year by unexpected reactions to drugs.  All these drugs have passed animal tests.
19) In the UKs House Of Lords questions have been asked regarding why unexpected reactions to drugs (which  passed animal tests) kill more people than cancer.
20) A German doctors' congress concluded that 6% of fatal illnesses and 25% of organic illness are caused by medicines. All have been animal tested. 
21) According to a thorough study, 88% of stillbirths are caused by drugs which passed animal tests.
22) 61% of birth defects were found to have the same cause.
23) 70% of drugs which cause human birth defects are safe in pregnant monkeys.
24) 78% of foetus-damaging chemicals can be detected by one non-animal test.
25) Thousands of safe products cause birth defects in lab animals �" including water, several vitamins, vegetable oils, oxygen and drinking waters.  Of more than 1000 substances dangerous in lab animals, over 97% are safe in humans.
26) One of the most common lifesaving operation (for ectopic pregnancies) was delayed 40 years by vivisection 27) The great Dr Hadwen noted "had animal experiments been relied upon...humanity would have been robbed of this great blessing of anaesthesia."
28) Aspirin fails animal tests, as do digitalis (heart drug), cancer drugs, insulin (which causes animal birth defects), penicillin and other safe medicines. They would be banned if vivisection were believed.
29) Blood transfusions were delayed 200 years by animal studies.
30) The polio vaccine was delayed 40 years by monkey tests.
31) 30 HIV vaccines, 33 spinal cord damage drugs, and over 700 treatments for stroke have been developed in animals.  None work in humans.
32) Despite many Nobel prizes going to vivisectors, only 45% agree that animal experiments are crucial.33) The Director of Research Defence Society, (which serves only to defend vivisection) was asked if medical progress could have been achieved without animal use. His written reply was "I am sure it could be. 
 


                The little brown dog!

 An excerpt from  NAVS
National anti vivisection society 

The issue of the Brown Dog was a key feature in the first undercover investigation of animal experiments by anti-vivisectionists, and the subject of the 1903 Bayliss-Coleridge libel case - Dr Bayliss of London University versus the Honorary Secretary of the National Anti-Vivisection Society.
The story of the Brown Dog and his memorial goes back to December 1902, when Professor Starling at University College London performed his first operation on the terrier dog, depriving it of the use of its pancreas. During the following two months the dog lived in a cage, upsetting many with its howls and whines.
In February 1903, Professor Starling opened up the dog’s abdomen to inspect the result of the first operation. He then clamped the wound with forceps and handed the animal over to Dr. Bayliss, who made a completely new wound in the neck for the purpose of a lecture demonstration to students. After another half hour, the animal apparently suffering greatly, was given to Mr. Dale, an unlicensed research student who killed it either by chloroform or by surgical means.
Two Swedish anti-vivisectionists, Leisa Schartau and Louise Lind-af-Hageby, who had enrolled as students at the London School of Medicine for Women so that they could learn first-hand about the work in such laboratories, attended that lecture demonstration. They carefully noted the facts of this case in their diary, in which they were recording the details of the experiments they had witnessed during their studies at UCL.
It was not long before Schartau and Hageby gave up the idea of working for a degree for, as they put it, “physiology is at present inseparable from experiments on animals". They decided to show their diary, which was now a substantial manuscript, to the Honorary Secretary of the National Anti-Vivisection Society, the Hon. Stephen Coleridge. The information which they recorded was later to form the basis of a book entitled ‘The Shambles of Science’, which caused quite a stir at the time. (The book remains in the NAVS archive today.)
The Hon. Stephen Coleridge, who took up the appointment of Honorary Secretary in 1897 (remaining until 1936) came from a family of committed anti-vivisectionists; his father had been one of NAVS’ vice-presidents and Stephen had not been converted to, but born into the cause. A barrister by profession, Coleridge came from a distinguished family, which had connections with many influential people. It was once said, whether in appreciation or in malice, that in dividing the human race one would have men, women and Coleridges. It was from this man that the two Swedish women sought advice.
Coleridge examined their material and was particularly struck by the evidence presented in a chapter entitled ‘Fun’ - in a later edition of ‘The Shambles of Science’ it was given the heading ‘The Vivisections of the Brown Dog’. It described how the supposedly serious business of vivisection demonstrations in medical schools were often no more than entertainments. The allusion to the hilarity of the students and the general levity of the occasions aroused Coleridge’s indignation. The subject of such mirth in the chapter - a brown terrier dog - was not particularly emphasised.
Coleridge, however, immediately spotted that there had been two infringements of the law - first that under the British legislation of 1876, the Cruelty to Animals Act, an animal may not be used for more that one experiment; second that for lecture demonstrations, which require a special certificate, anaesthesia was mandatory. The law had therefore been broken twice. Then, as now, a prosecution can only be brought if it is within six months of the alleged offence and has the approval of the Home Secretary. It seemed to Coleridge that it would be almost impossible to succeed by following that particular path, but one loophole remained. Anyone who has the evidence can make a public accusation.
In May 1903 Coleridge read a statement regarding the matter in St James’ Hall, London. This resulted in an action for libel being brought against him by Dr. Bayliss, who had no choice but to sue Coleridge; to do nothing would be as good as admitting the charge. Coleridge refused to apologise, insisting that Professor Starling, under the 1876 Act, should have killed the dog as soon as the object of the experiment had been attained, that is after he had performed his second vivisection.
It was clear that Professor Starling had not killed the dog when he was legally obliged to do so. Indeed, he did not complain about being libelled. The case rested on whether handing the dog over to Dr. Bayliss was a permissible way of destroying it and, for this fact to be established, evidence was required to prove that the dog had been properly anaesthetised during the lecture demonstration. If the dog had not been, then Bayliss was guilty of a criminal act. Could Coleridge prove that the dog had not been properly anaesthetised?
Coleridge’s chief witnesses were, of course, Schartau and Hageby. They testified that as the first students to arrive for the lecture they saw the dog in the passage in readiness for the demonstration and followed Bayliss (and his attendant) into the lecture room. They had been alone with the dog for about two minutes during which time they examined it themselves. They had noticed the scars from the previous operations. They observed that there was an incision in the neck in which two tubes had been placed and that there was no smell of anaesthetic. The dog was making purposeful movements which suggested that it was conscious. However, at the trial, the anaesthetic condition of the dog could not be proved, nor was it possible to prove the statement of Bayliss that the dog was suffering from hemi-chorea (ceaseless occurrence of rapid jerky involuntary movements) which accounted for its alleged movements. The evidence was inconclusive and after four days, the trial ended in favour of Dr. Bayliss who was awarded £2,000 damage for libel. This looked like defeat, but the matter did not end there. Public opinion had been aroused. There were innumerable leaders and letters in the press. The press itself was divided on the verdict - ‘The Times’ upheld the decision of the court; ‘The Daily News’, along with other newspapers and journals, described it as a miscarriage of justice.
’The Daily News’ opened a subscription fund to defray the damages and costs of the trial. So strong was public feeling in favour of the dog that no less than £5,735 was collected in four months. Coleridge had lost his case, but not with the public. For many, the Brown Dog affair could not be easily forgotten and the outcome of the trial continued to rankle. It was therefore decided to erect a statue in memory of the Brown Dog. A further appeal was made to raise money for the monument, largely organised through the efforts of Miss Woodward, founder of the World League against Vivisection and Honorary Secretary of the International Anti-Vivisection Council, the society which presented the memorial to Battersea. The memorial was unveiled by the Mayor of Battersea on 15 September 1906. Edward Ford in his book, ‘The Brown Dog and His Memorial’ published in 1908, recalls how he first came to learn about the Brown Dog affair. Walking along the Strand one winter evening, Ford became caught up in a rowdy group of young medical students who thrust a stuffed animal into his face. They were in a militant mood, and singing a song set to the tune of Little Brown Jug: “Ha, ha, ha! Hee, hee, hee! Little Brown Dog do we hate thee!"
Puzzled by what he had witnessed and eager to find out more, Ford turned to a policeman standing nearby and asked what it meant. Pointing to the students, the constable replied, “It’s only them Brown Doggers, Sir". Ford soon discovered what had aroused such emotions - a memorial in Battersea. Ford decided to visit Battersea. What he saw was a drinking fountain on top of which sat a demure life-size bronze dog. Around the fountain was the following inscription:
’In Memory of the Brown Terrier Dog done to Death in the Laboratories of University College in February 1903, after having endured Vivisection extending over more than two months and having been handed from one Vivisector to another till Death came to his Release. Also in Memory of the 232 dogs vivisected at the same place during the year 1902. Men and Women of England, how long shall these things be?’
The dog itself had a mild expression and wore no martyr’s crown. However, after speaking to the two policemen who were on duty guarding the memorial, it became clear to Ford that this seemingly peaceful spot had turned into a battlefield. From 20 November 1907 onwards, the day on which the first incident took place - a year after the erection of the monument - numerous attempts were made by students from university College (and elsewhere) to wreck the bronze statue - all were unsuccessful, although the dog was daubed from time to time with red paint.
The local people of Battersea, meanwhile, had grown rather attached to their canine friend and were determined that no harm should come to it. Punch-ups and demonstrations between the two warring factions - the young ‘gentlemen’ from University College and the working class youth of Battersea - were a regular occurrence. These skirmishes became known later as the ‘Brown Dog Riots’.
The students were particularly incensed by the inscription which they felt singled out one college and attacked it for using animals in experiments. They argued that the majority of universities were also involved in the practice of vivisection. An attempt to persuade Battersea Metropolitan Borough Council to sanction the proposal to remove the inscription failed; most councillors believed that the inscription was based upon fact.
However, with the election of a new Council of a different political hue, the situation changed and, on 9 March 1910, the Council approved the decision to remove the monument. An injunction to restrain the Council from dismantling the statue came too late. The memorial was removed in the early hours of 10 March following the Council meeting on the previous evening.
The removal provoked much controversy, not only in Battersea, but from a wide area of London. Public disapproval reached such a pitch that on 19 March more than 3,000 people marched from Hyde Park Corner to Trafalgar Square, where a public meeting was held.
Attempts were made to have it put back in subsequently, but the memorial disappeared.
The NAVS, which all those years ago was the defendant in the ‘Brown Dog Trial’, had succeeded in bringing the attention of the public to the suffering of laboratory animals, and still believes today that vivisection can only continue whilst it is carried out in secret.
Successive governments have protected laboratory workers from public scrutiny and public accountability.
With your help, we can change this.
The issue of the Brown Dog was a key feature in the first undercover investigation of animal experiments by anti-vivisectionists, and the subject of the 1903 Bayliss-Coleridge libel case - Dr Bayliss of London University versus the Honorary Secretary of the National Anti-Vivisection Society.
The story of the Brown Dog and his memorial goes back to December 1902, when Professor Starling at University College London performed his first operation on the terrier dog, depriving it of the use of its pancreas. During the following two months the dog lived in a cage, upsetting many with its howls and whines.
In February 1903, Professor Starling opened up the dog’s abdomen to inspect the result of the first operation. He then clamped the wound with forceps and handed the animal over to Dr. Bayliss, who made a completely new wound in the neck for the purpose of a lecture demonstration to students. After another half hour, the animal apparently suffering greatly, was given to Mr. Dale, an unlicensed research student who killed it either by chloroform or by surgical means.
Two Swedish anti-vivisectionists, Leisa Schartau and Louise Lind-af-Hageby, who had enrolled as students at the London School of Medicine for Women so that they could learn first-hand about the work in such laboratories, attended that lecture demonstration. They carefully noted the facts of this case in their diary, in which they were recording the details of the experiments they had witnessed during their studies at UCL.
It was not long before Schartau and Hageby gave up the idea of working for a degree for, as they put it, “physiology is at present inseparable from experiments on animals". They decided to show their diary, which was now a substantial manuscript, to the Honorary Secretary of the National Anti-Vivisection Society, the Hon. Stephen Coleridge. The information which they recorded was later to form the basis of a book entitled ‘The Shambles of Science’, which caused quite a stir at the time. (The book remains in the NAVS archive today.)
The Hon. Stephen Coleridge, who took up the appointment of Honorary Secretary in 1897 (remaining until 1936) came from a family of committed anti-vivisectionists; his father had been one of NAVS’ vice-presidents and Stephen had not been converted to, but born into the cause. A barrister by profession, Coleridge came from a distinguished family, which had connections with many influential people. It was once said, whether in appreciation or in malice, that in dividing the human race one would have men, women and Coleridges. It was from this man that the two Swedish women sought advice.
Coleridge examined their material and was particularly struck by the evidence presented in a chapter entitled ‘Fun’ - in a later edition of ‘The Shambles of Science’ it was given the heading ‘The Vivisections of the Brown Dog’. It described how the supposedly serious business of vivisection demonstrations in medical schools were often no more than entertainments. The allusion to the hilarity of the students and the general levity of the occasions aroused Coleridge’s indignation. The subject of such mirth in the chapter - a brown terrier dog - was not particularly emphasised.
Coleridge, however, immediately spotted that there had been two infringements of the law - first that under the British legislation of 1876, the Cruelty to Animals Act, an animal may not be used for more that one experiment; second that for lecture demonstrations, which require a special certificate, anaesthesia was mandatory. The law had therefore been broken twice. Then, as now, a prosecution can only be brought if it is within six months of the alleged offence and has the approval of the Home Secretary. It seemed to Coleridge that it would be almost impossible to succeed by following that particular path, but one loophole remained. Anyone who has the evidence can make a public accusation.
In May 1903 Coleridge read a statement regarding the matter in St James’ Hall, London. This resulted in an action for libel being brought against him by Dr. Bayliss, who had no choice but to sue Coleridge; to do nothing would be as good as admitting the charge. Coleridge refused to apologise, insisting that Professor Starling, under the 1876 Act, should have killed the dog as soon as the object of the experiment had been attained, that is after he had performed his second vivisection.
It was clear that Professor Starling had not killed the dog when he was legally obliged to do so. Indeed, he did not complain about being libelled. The case rested on whether handing the dog over to Dr. Bayliss was a permissible way of destroying it and, for this fact to be established, evidence was required to prove that the dog had been properly anaesthetised during the lecture demonstration. If the dog had not been, then Bayliss was guilty of a criminal act. Could Coleridge prove that the dog had not been properly anaesthetised?
Coleridge’s chief witnesses were, of course, Schartau and Hageby. They testified that as the first students to arrive for the lecture they saw the dog in the passage in readiness for the demonstration and followed Bayliss (and his attendant) into the lecture room. They had been alone with the dog for about two minutes during which time they examined it themselves. They had noticed the scars from the previous operations. They observed that there was an incision in the neck in which two tubes had been placed and that there was no smell of anaesthetic. The dog was making purposeful movements which suggested that it was conscious. However, at the trial, the anaesthetic condition of the dog could not be proved, nor was it possible to prove the statement of Bayliss that the dog was suffering from hemi-chorea (ceaseless occurrence of rapid jerky involuntary movements) which accounted for its alleged movements. The evidence was inconclusive and after four days, the trial ended in favour of Dr. Bayliss who was awarded £2,000 damage for libel. This looked like defeat, but the matter did not end there. Public opinion had been aroused. There were innumerable leaders and letters in the press. The press itself was divided on the verdict - ‘The Times’ upheld the decision of the court; ‘The Daily News’, along with other newspapers and journals, described it as a miscarriage of justice.
’The Daily News’ opened a subscription fund to defray the damages and costs of the trial. So strong was public feeling in favour of the dog that no less than £5,735 was collected in four months. Coleridge had lost his case, but not with the public. For many, the Brown Dog affair could not be easily forgotten and the outcome of the trial continued to rankle. It was therefore decided to erect a statue in memory of the Brown Dog. A further appeal was made to raise money for the monument, largely organised through the efforts of Miss Woodward, founder of the World League against Vivisection and Honorary Secretary of the International Anti-Vivisection Council, the society which presented the memorial to Battersea. The memorial was unveiled by the Mayor of Battersea on 15 September 1906. Edward Ford in his book, ‘The Brown Dog and His Memorial’ published in 1908, recalls how he first came to learn about the Brown Dog affair. Walking along the Strand one winter evening, Ford became caught up in a rowdy group of young medical students who thrust a stuffed animal into his face. They were in a militant mood, and singing a song set to the tune of Little Brown Jug: “Ha, ha, ha! Hee, hee, hee! Little Brown Dog do we hate thee!"
Puzzled by what he had witnessed and eager to find out more, Ford turned to a policeman standing nearby and asked what it meant. Pointing to the students, the constable replied, “It’s only them Brown Doggers, Sir". Ford soon discovered what had aroused such emotions - a memorial in Battersea. Ford decided to visit Battersea. What he saw was a drinking fountain on top of which sat a demure life-size bronze dog. Around the fountain was the following inscription:
’In Memory of the Brown Terrier Dog done to Death in the Laboratories of University College in February 1903, after having endured Vivisection extending over more than two months and having been handed from one Vivisector to another till Death came to his Release. Also in Memory of the 232 dogs vivisected at the same place during the year 1902. Men and Women of England, how long shall these things be?’
The dog itself had a mild expression and wore no martyr’s crown. However, after speaking to the two policemen who were on duty guarding the memorial, it became clear to Ford that this seemingly peaceful spot had turned into a battlefield. From 20 November 1907 onwards, the day on which the first incident took place - a year after the erection of the monument - numerous attempts were made by students from university College (and elsewhere) to wreck the bronze statue - all were unsuccessful, although the dog was daubed from time to time with red paint.
The local people of Battersea, meanwhile, had grown rather attached to their canine friend and were determined that no harm should come to it. Punch-ups and demonstrations between the two warring factions - the young ‘gentlemen’ from University College and the working class youth of Battersea - were a regular occurrence. These skirmishes became known later as the ‘Brown Dog Riots’.
The students were particularly incensed by the inscription which they felt singled out one college and attacked it for using animals in experiments. They argued that the majority of universities were also involved in the practice of vivisection. An attempt to persuade Battersea Metropolitan Borough Council to sanction the proposal to remove the inscription failed; most councillors believed that the inscription was based upon fact.
However, with the election of a new Council of a different political hue, the situation changed and, on 9 March 1910, the Council approved the decision to remove the monument. An injunction to restrain the Council from dismantling the statue came too late. The memorial was removed in the early hours of 10 March following the Council meeting on the previous evening.
The removal provoked much controversy, not only in Battersea, but from a wide area of London. Public disapproval reached such a pitch that on 19 March more than 3,000 people marched from Hyde Park Corner to Trafalgar Square, where a public meeting was held.
Attempts were made to have it put back in subsequently, but the memorial disappeared.
The NAVS, which all those years ago was the defendant in the ‘Brown Dog Trial’, had succeeded in bringing the attention of the public to the suffering of laboratory animals, and still believes today that vivisection can only continue whilst it is carried out in secret.
Successive governments have protected laboratory workers from public scrutiny and public accountability.

For more information on the little brown dog.
http://www.navs.org.uk/about_us/24/0/286/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Dog_affair

NAVS CONTACT DETAILS

UK
National Anti-Vivisection Society
Millbank Tower
Millbank
LONDON, SW1P 4QP, UK.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7630 3340
Fax: +44 (0)20 7828 2179
USA
Animal Defenders International
953 Mission St., Suite 201
San Francisco, CA 94103
Tel: +1 415 876 2344
Toll-free: 1 800 978 ADII (2344) (inside USA)
Fax: +1 415 876 2342
How you can help

If you have been touched by Hopes story and feel that you would like to help, there are many ways you can do that.

You can sign online petitions
Write to MP’s Change the way you shop by going cruelty free, just look for the leaping bunny on the products.

A useful link for animal friendly non tested on animals cosmetic and household product guide can be googled but here is one or two.

http://nottested.co.uk/Cosmetics.html

http://www.peta.org.uk/

http://features.peta.org/cruelty-free-company-search/index.aspx
http://www.buav.org/humane-science/statistics/
superdrug and coop also have a fantastic range of their own products that are not tested on animals including wet wipes and shower gel, shampoo’s and conditions etc.

By going cruelty free in the home you are not supporting animal testing and each and every person that goes cruelty free  helps towards the battle against animal testing.

If you would also like to become more involved or want more information on unite to care their web address is.

http://www.unitetocare.com/.

Unite to care 2013

© 2014 Mandy Flisher


Author's Note

Mandy Flisher


Dedicated to
All the animals suffering by misguided hands
& to the unselfish love of those that give them a voice!

We will keep up the fight
‘until every cage is empty’



A portion of the books sales will be donated to Unite to care
So that more animals can be free!











ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
There are so many people to thank for the inspiration of this book.
First and foremost Vicky Fraser founder of Unite to care. Without the tireless and constant work, love and compassion of Vicky and the Unite to Care team, Hope and the 10 foals rescued all in the same year from research institutions Would be dead now!
Acknowledgement must be given to the unnamed female technician where Hope was
Held for six years. Without her pleading hope’s future would not be what it is now
Linda who has a heart as big as a mountain who takes in and heals, loves and nurtures lost and forgotten dogs who have been cast out in some shape or form.
Sammy my beautiful daughter who gets dragged out on daily dog runs.
To my beautiful loved ones who love me for who am. To Gemmy our resident love pup who unselfishly allowed hope in.
Hope for letting me in bit, by bit and has shown immense bravery and forgiveness!



HOPE
Introduction

This is not a tale of fiction and is not pure imagination. Hope is real and her story is certainly not an isolated one. Each year thousands of animals such as Hope are picked up from shelters and bred all in the name of animal research. An Outdated method which serves no concrete purpose in the welfare of human kind!

Once these animals have been used and have served their purpose they are mainly destroyed after suffering extremely painful existences. Unfortunately there is still ignorance in the scientific industry and amongst the public who feel that animals serve their purpose for our common good. The animals used never see daylight or are permitted to go outside because of potential contamination. Neither do they experience joy or a touch of love. Their lives are abused in the apparent name of science.

Hope once only a number is a sweet and gentle soul. Her beginning is an elusive one and little is known about how her first year of life contained, the only thing we know is that she was a year old when picked up off the streets in Albania by the research institute. She was cheap and treated as such. A tool to exploit and cause unnecessary suffering.

Although some of the characters such as Nanny are fictional the institute and characters preceding her early years are real life characters. Institutional names have not been mentioned due to ongoing hopes that research animals such as Hope will be allowed to retire to loving homes rather than being put to sleep. They are just a mere number, therefore not living feeling beings but a test tube to research on, the researches become immune to the plights and suffering of these animals to a great extent, to further their need of interpreting data, which remains inconclusive to human wellbeing.

Hope was incarcerated within the institute! She entered as a sweet and placid soul and remained there for six years. It was near the end of her six years that she started to protest against the constant poking prodding and tubes forcibly shoved down her throat that she warned the clinician (male) away from her. She started to growl and bared her teeth at him out of fear. She had given six years of her life to him and his painful and constant tests, all in the name of science? The doctor decided that she no longer served a purpose, so she was muzzled and put on the destroy list. Fact!



It was the female technician who begged and pleaded with the doctor that a home should be found. It was the female technician that stood there crying and had grown to love her, it was this same female that gave her the name Mary. She then reached out to Unite to care and its founder Victoria Fraser that gave Mary that chance. This is when her life truly begins. The work of Unite to care is always ongoing and has already in one short year saved the lives of 11 animals used in research. They aim to ensure there is a fine day where…

‘ every cage is empty’

We changed her name to Hope because she needed to start again, so what better name and advocate. She now represents her fellow research buddies and hopes one day they too will have the hope that she now has.




Animal research is not the saviour of the human race, it actually provides inaccurate data. The human DNA is more likely linked to a banana. If our DNA was as accurate to a dog or rat, then pray tell me why we have vets and doctors! Why separate?


The simple truth is a harsh reality and simply that animals are voiceless, they are unable to protest, they are not able to site their rights. They are easy to handle and control, they are also too easy to dispose of. It is time man realized that animals whatever the species are here on this earth to walk beside us not for mans desire to take advantage. We need to be the voice for those without and we need to be their advocates. Animal abuse in all its forms needs to STOP!


Once your eyes are opened, they will never again be averted!















Hope


My earliest feeling was the warmth of my mother, the garbled sounds around me, my brothers and sister close by to me. I only knew this warmth and felt nothing but being at peace, safe and protected. I could feel the beating of our hearts as though there was one…strong! Sometimes, I would hear sounds within my mother, funny sounds like air. It would be later I would truly know what these sounds were.

On the day I was born, I lost a brother. He did not make it into the cool night air that hung all around us in the Albanian suburbs. My mother frantically licked us all, especially my lost brother in the hope that breath would bring him back to us. It was not to be. His time although short will be with me forever and help give me strength in later years.

My mother , left us for a very brief moment carrying the lifeless little body of my brother, her head low. On her return my remaining two brothers, sister and I moved into the shadowed existence of an underpass. The sounds of drunken men and noisy cars were at first very frightening. We learnt to live with it. We lived among the lost and disregarded. Broken bottles lay everywhere shattered glass showing the reality of shattered lives and dreams. I had my family at least which was all that mattered. The sharp cool wind lashing at our family circle all close and enveloped around each other as though a protective shield covered us from outside harm and kept us sheltered.

Even though my mother was weak she was able to nurse us the best she could but too afraid to leave us meant that food eluded her and had become a distance remembrance, day by day she went without so we may be safe but the lack of nourishment for her meant that she was unable to contain her milk flow, she became so weak from hunger that one day she had hardly any milk at all. We pawed so hard to get our milk that it made her sore, But try as we might milk was becoming scarce and that was the first time I felt air in my tummy and the sounds I had once heard in my mothers womb were now my own. It echoed all around me. It is as though my little lost brother had given up his life so we had more of my mother to share, but she had given all she had to give.

By chance a woman approached us one very cold night. I clung to my mother who’s breath was weak and shallow, the heartbeat that had once thundered all around me and I had stayed close too on nights such as these was slow and I could hardly hear or feel it at all. The woman seemed calm and kind but I wanted my mother to protect us from the stranger and I started to cry. My mother unable to stir was being comforted by the stranger and she sat stroking my mothers head.

The woman and now a companion were talking.

‘Hello…is this the animal shelter?’
‘I have found a dog and her puppies…she is in pretty bad shape and barely alive…can I bring them in?’


The next moment we were all taken to a local animal shelter. The lights were bright and hurt my eyes. I was not used to such brightness. They took my mother into a room where a man with gloves and a mask on, stood in wait. My two remaining brothers and my sister were taken to another room with me where a woman waited. She spoke softly to us and picked each of us up in turn.

She listened to our hearts. Looked at our teeth and looked at every part of us. Then she gave us all an injection. I cried for my mother. I was so afraid.

After this frightening experience we were bathed and dried. Then best of all we were given food which we gulped down. Mother had so little milk to feed us all that it felt like we had not eaten for all of our lives. We were then taken to a quiet room with bedding, my mother was there looking a little brighter for now she had eaten too and embraced us and licked us with all her might.

This is what happiness is…safe and together!

For two years we all lived in the shelter. The barking of other dogs was suffocating. Pleas from them begging to be taken out of the camp to be free and to have a family!

When we first came here is was a safe haven, a place to become nourished but then we were not able to leave. The once kind strangers had become complacent we were just more unwanted ones with nowhere to go and there were so many of us. We were allowed to have a companion walk with us twice a week but it was not enough. Hours listening to the saddened howls, having to be housed in small enclosures where our own excrement and food were common friends.

I needed to run and be free.

I remember when my two brothers and sister were adopted and I also remember my mother being taken away crying. My siblings walked out with companions happy with tails wagging while my mother was taken by a worker at the shelter down a corridor and into the same room she was taken two years ago. The fear and sadness in my mothers eyes made me cry, her tail between her legs in fear. Everything I had ever known and loved was gone and I lay in the corner of my enclosure hoping that they would come back…but they never did.

I was broken! I had nowhere and no one to turn to.

You may wonder why no one wanted to adopt me! Well I was always very protective of my loved ones and my duty was to lay low , while my siblings yapped all excited to see potential families I would stay close to mother and resume my place in the background, so I guess I became unnoticeable? I wish they would understand that I wanted to be loved and love in return but I was so afraid.

In desperation and nothing left to loose I took the opportunity one day while on my walk with the companion. I had no reason to stay here at the shelter any longer and I did not want to walk as mother had down to the room at the end of the corridor. So knowing he was a good person who came to the shelter on a weekly basis to help walk us forgotten ones. I took my chance! He attempted to give affection in the short time we shared together . It was his kindness that set me free.

As he removed my leash the kennel door was slightly ajar , as I was so reclusive and unlikely to run, I bounded as fast as I could much to their surprise, I ran this way and that petrified they would catch me again. Slipping and sliding all around the floor panicked workers trying to catch me. I was so afraid, but finally I bounded out to the yard and jumped with all my might over the fence and just kept running until I felt enough distance was between me and the camp!

Exhausted I slowed down and almost collapsed. I looked back to check I was not followed. I had been confined for two long years and now I was without my family. No mother or siblings to cling to in this big world out here.

I saw an underpass in the distance which brought back memories of earlier days when we were all together and I remembered my little brother who had left us too soon. I thought of him and it made me feel stronger, for he was at rainbow bridge with my mother now, This gave me hope that one day we would all once again be together at rainbow bridge. It was knowing this that gave me the will to carry on. After all he had sacrificed his life so that I could live.

I made it to the underpass where the same disregarded rubbish lay scattered, only I was lucky this time as an old chicken carcass was laying there in used wrapping. I looked around and devoured it completely gagging on the bones as they caught my throat. I needed to survive. That same lashing wind was all around me pulling at my coat but I nestled into myself and thought of my family. I thought of my siblings in their new homes and wished we could still be together.

Nightmares flashed in my dreams, mother being taken away, constant aching in my body hoping that one day I would have a family to call my own. Suddenly an awful noise awoke me, snarling and eyes beaming. I had a dog standing over me. I did not know what to do. So I did what I could only do! I remained submissive. Still the dog kept on with the snarling, I thought it would rip me apart. Then suddenly as if by a miracle another dog came bounding from nowhere and took the dog on. There were bared teeth, heinous blood curdling screams. The dog that had intimidated me ran like the wind still screaming. The dog that had attacked it stood there eyeing me then she sat by me. Could I have made a friend? Or was I about to be ripped apart?

She was a collie who had lived as she had for a very long time. I saw patches of baldness and scars on her body. She was a fighter and survivor and at least 8 years old.

I am not sure why she decided to stay with me or why she protected me but she did. Afraid and unsure I remained there too tired to move and too afraid to fight if I needed to! The old girl laid beside me as though she knew my fear, she licked my nose to tell me it was ok and her body protected me from the wind and warmed me.

Finally almost comfortable I closed my eyes and slept.

My ears were on stand by at all times. I do not remember a day other than in my mother’s embrace where I could ever completely relax. Although there was sense of comfort in being sheltered by the dog who seemed to be very street wise and dare I say reminded me just a little of my mother. She had that protective element about her.

I awoke once again, only this time it was by the sharp sunlight shining onto my face. For a moment I had forgotten all that had happened. At that moment on waking I could have been like my siblings and waking up by the bed of my human companion with a food bowl filled with food and a soft pet on the head telling me how loved I am.

But then the stark reality hit me once again.

I looked around me ears alert in case of threats and the need to defend myself. I then remembered the old collie who sheltered me from harm and realized she was nowhere to be seen. I felt a little sad. What do I do now, where can I find food; the old chicken carcass was all I had eaten yesterday. I also realized that I may have made a big mistake for at least at the shelter I had food and water. Out here I was on my own and food was scarce.

As I looked out across this bleak landscape I heard the footprints of a dog approaching from behind me. I knew I had to toughen up if I was to survive and have a shot at life albeit on the streets.

I got ready to defend myself then saw the old collie standing there wagging her tail. She had something in her mouth. I think it was an old burger or something. She dropped it on the floor and smiled at me. She then nudged me to encourage me to eat it. I submissively started to nibble then realized how hungry I was and it was gone in a flash. She barked at me and beckoned me to follow her.

So looking back and around me I knew I had nowhere else and followed her carefully. I wonder what her story is.



I guess like me my new friend had experienced much sadness and hardship but she certainly knew how to survive and adapt. All dogs deserve to be loved I know this; I also know that if someone loved me I could with time and trust be their best and most loyal companion. At this point in my life that is something I have not and will not ever have. Not at the moment at least. It is hard for me to see past each day.

I only know that I have to make it each day and survive everything. I do not like being so stressed out, everywhere around me is a threat to me and to my new friend, how she manages to reach out to me is warming, I could not have done that, what it is about me that has earned her time and loyalty.

We looked at each other my ears and stance a little more relaxed and I followed her. We walked a while then came to a home with a pretty fence around it. Children were playing with two young dogs, the resemblance to my new friend was remarkable. Were these young ones her litter? If so then why was she not with them? My friend just watched them and cried. She looked at me as if to say ‘they are happy and safe’ then we turned tail and wandered to nowhere.

I could tell my friend was sad and I could not think why her litter was there and here she was roaming the streets. It appears that the home we visited was once her home until she had her last litter. She was used to produce litters to make her companions money. And as she was now older and unable to manage yet another litter she had been dumped never allowed to return. So my friend had survived that heartbreak of human rejection to become rather streetwise in a much shorter time than I had first thought.

I guess her need to see her litter was what kept her going and she looked upon me as a daughter. She missed them and saw the need in me for help from an elder. It also appears that she needed me as much as I needed her. We visited her litter every day. We survived on scraps where we could find them. We dodged cars and angry people who cursed at us and threw things at us.

I soon learned quickly from my friend and soaked up her warmth and companionship. It was not so bad being out here with her by my side. It was as though I had a mother and a friend again.

We maintained our freedom for three more months and then a dark cloud once again beckoned to me.

While resting my friend and I were cornered by a group of uniformed people, A van lay in wait with other barking dogs inside. The humans approached us with caution. I started to back away and looked to my friend who had become submissive. I noticed that as she did this the humans were not so heavy handed or angry so that is when I realized that to gain human gentleness I would follow my friends lead and perform the submissive stance.

It worked, a leash was put upon me, my friend and I were ten lifted into back of the van. I looked around me and saw the unhappiness in the others around me total Confusion and desperation, Dogs who would have given their lives for just one gentle word or touch! Many were cast out like my friend, I was lucky really because I have never had a human home nor will I ever.

We stopped another time after our pick up and another very frightened dog was bundled into an already cramped van. Where were we going? I had an awful feeling that I would not like it wherever it was. Something felt so wrong. I looked upon my collie friend who looked as though she had given up. She would never be able to check on her litter again and it looked as though her heart was broken. She just remained quiet and lay down in complete hopelessness. This made me sad too!

We arrived at another animal shelter, I am happy to say it was not the one I had run from but it was still a shelter all the same. Same confined walls, same insane unhappiness. I guess this is it now.

My friend and I were in pens beside each other and each day with the sad panicked barking I would see her become more and more listless. She refused to eat and drink. The shelter companions were very kind and made sure we were kept an eye on but my friend longed for her litter and home. By not being able to return she felt she had no reason to live. The companions would sit with her and try and encourage her each day without any response.

I saw her fading more and tried to comfort her but it did not make her feel better. I pawed and licked her through the wire but I could not reach her it just made my tongue and paw saw. So I just lay there crying for her.

Then something wonderful happened! In the doorway of the shelter, staff were making a fuss and the sounds of crying babies could be heard, even over the din of the insane barking. My friend’s ears pricked up at once, then she lifted her head, but best of all she got up and started wagging her tail looking into the direction of the babies. The companion who often checked on my friend noticed this miracle and saw how my friend reacted to the babies. The babies mother had been hit and killed outright by a car while she searched for food. Leaving her babies in an abandoned bus depot, by pure luck a passer by had heard their cries wondering where their mother was.

So now these little babies were alone in this world, a feeling I had felt so often. The companion walked up to the shelter workers holding the babies and spoke with them a moment. She then came walking back holding one in her arm and showed my friend. I was amazed like the companion at how my friend reacted. She seemed her happy self again. So carefully the companion and the baby, as well as a growing audience of shelter workers stopped and watched in amazement at how my friend accepted the baby as her own.

So my friend who had lost all hope now had her reason for living again. Even though she would never see her own litter again she now had adoptive babies to live and care for. This is where it gets even better. She was such an amazing mother, like she had been to her babies and to me that she had a full time nanny position at the shelter. So you could say she worked there. Every little pup or frightened and forlorn dog was mothered by my friend. The shelter staff named her Nanny!

She was moved out of the enclosures and given her own important space to do her valuable and important role.


Although I was happy for my friend I was once again alone. I ate when I needed to I walked when I needed to. I did everything expected of me. I remained submissive because I could not see the point in putting up a fight anymore. I conformed and accepted the fact that I was now institutionalized.

I remained in the shelter for a few weeks and then it appears that my luck was about to change. A man came to the shelter looking for a dog without attitude. So all of my submissive behaviour could possibly pay off now I saw the companion walk towards me with the man…this is it I could be going home with him? He wore spectacles and seemed very friendly. He came to me and checked me over, teeth tail and all just like I remember from long ago. Could this really be my chance to have a happy life?

Yes!yes! It is papers were signed and oh how happy I was jumping up at my human, going home like others had done. I am worthy of love after all. I could not contain my excitement and the man laughed. I could not wait to jump into his car. I love him already and I promise to be loyal and love him all of my life.

We drove off together and I was smiling looking out of the car window, I saw the underpass where I lived with Nanny and felt my heart bounce. I knew she was safe and happy and my dream had come true I have a human. I can learn how to play fetch like other domestic and loved dogs do, I could even try and fetch his newspaper or slippers perhaps. Oh I was giddy, my happy ever after. For So long I had never thought this day would come.

We continued down the road until we came to a very big building, it did not look like the house Nanny and I had visited when we saw her litter. There were no children playing no white fence. Not at all, this was a big building with a high metal fence and barbed wire all around it. There were trees around and I saw a sign which read ‘veterinary hospital’. I did not understand where were the happy children?

We drove up to a barrier where men in caps and radios let the man and me in. The large barrier arms rose high in the air, I watched not knowing what it meant. This is a very strange home.

Somehow although confused I looked at my male companion and trusted him. I wanted to be his loyal friend and be what he wanted me to be. He would keep me safe wouldn’t he? He would not hurt me?

We continued to drive for a few moments more and then pulled up and stopped. I was full of wonder and looked all around me and
started jumping up at my companion. He did not seem to mind and made a fuss of me. We walked to a pair of large doors and I watched every move he made, I saw him press some buttons then a buzzing sound, which startled me a little but it allowed him to open the doors.

What place is this I thought. I kept looking at my companion and had a good look and sniff. The smell was very familiar and reminded me of the room I had once been it as a young dog. I cannot really describe it really…it was such a sharp scent. It was also very bare and full of corridors. I saw some people walking around wearing white coats and they looked very important.

My companion led me through the maze of corridors and I am certain that I heard a dog crying in the distance. I found this rather sad as it was a cry unlike any other I have heard before. It was a weak but loud cry. I shrugged it off and continued to sniff as we walked wondering what this place and surroundings was all about.
We came to a door and we then stopped, I saw my companion press more buttons and we entered a room. The room had no windows and there was a crate in the corner. My companion removed my leash and I scurried around sniffing and investigating my new surroundings. My companion made a fuss of me and opened the crate. I went over and sniffed inside. There was a water bowl and a food bowl with some dried food in it. I sniffed it and tried a nibble. It tasted very bland but I was hungry so ate what was in the bowl. There was not much of it to eat but enough to cure any hunger pains.

My companion encouraged me to settle in the crate and I had no reason to complain. I was tired after all the days excitement and felt I need to rest. So I went into the crate loyally and lay down. I panicked when he closed the door of the crate behind me though and cried. It was not what I expected. I have known dogs to lay beside the fire and by their companion’s bed. I thought that is what I was here to do?

My companion spoke some words to me and walked away and out of the door. I cried for a while and kept looking at the door hoping he was coming back. He did not come back that night. All night long I would fall in and out of sleep wondering where he had gone. I heard strange sounds and the distant cries of other dogs.

The buzzing of the tube lighting was very loud. Here I am in a strange place. No fireplace or slippers. Just funny sounds and a missing companion! I looked through my crate to try and understand this place; I saw only metal trolleys and a table with wheels on. I tried not to think too much but it was so new to me.

I think I must have managed to sleep a little more and I was startled by the sound of the door opening and I wagged my tail, my companion had come back and seemed pleased to see me. He was wearing one of the white coats I had seen yesterday, he spoke to me in a friendly way and brought another companion with him. She was also very pleased to see me and I was overjoyed.

The female companion came towards me bent down to me and told me what a pretty girl I was and I wagged my tail so hard it banged against my crate. I have never had such nice companions before, I liked it very much. I barked with excitement but wanted to get out of the crate.


My male companion spoke to the female companion and directed her to release me from the crate. As she opened it I jumped at her with happiness and nearly knocked her over. She just laughed and stroked my head and showed me much affection. Oh I was so happy to be out of the cramped crate and to see my male companion and now a female too! Is this my new family? The male companion came over to me and picked me and placed me on the table. The female continued to give me affection and tried to subdue my excited behaviour.

The male companion then examined me and the female reassured me. I was ok and trusted them both. They just wanted to make sure I was ok like when I was a pup with my brothers and sister. Now I was like them, I had a home and next they would give me food.

Only this time my mother was not there to comfort me, but I was ok!

He felt my tummy and then washed his hands, he then put on some gloves and reached for a needle. I guess another injection like before?

He bunched up the scruff of my neck and put the needle in. I did not feel anything but started to feel very strange. I became very tired and could not hold myself up. The female companion held me as I could not stay awake any longer my eyes became so heavy and everything became so blurry. The companions were talking but it was all burbled and I fell into a deep sleep.

I woke up very groggy and back in my crate. I could hardly lift my head and felt as though my head was too big for my body and my throat was so dry and sore. I also had a very saw paw and wanted to lick it but did not have the energy. I just could not seem to wake up properly and did not feel well at all. I just lay there and with bleary eyes saw the female companion looking over at me and I could just make out the male companion putting small bottles into a fridge.

It took me a while to regain my senses properly. What had happened?

The female companion came over to me and I wagged my tail the best I could. I licked my paw as she opened my crate. Why did it hurt so much. I noticed the rusty taste of blood on my sore paw and also saw that my fur was much shorter. My mouth was still very dry. The female companion gave me some water which I gulped down. It felt so soothing as my throat felt a burning sensation.

The female companion stroked my head tenderly. I was just happy to lay still and accept the affection and closed my eyes not feeling the way I had before being put on the table. I think that night I was far too tired to look at the door at my missing companions or to be bothered by distant cries and neon lighting.

I awoke once again feeling much better and the male and female companions were there again. The female companion had a lead and clipped it onto the collar I had been assigned to I also noticed a heavy feeling in my ear. I kept pawing at it. It felt so strange. It was a tag with a number on it in bright yellow. I kept trying to get rid of it as it felt too heavy in my ear. The female companion kindly comforted me but it was so annoying. Seeing I was not happy the companion encouraged me to walk with her.

We walked into the corridor which I had not seen since I arrived. We walked for a short time to a larger area where I was allowed off my lead to investigate and relieve my self. I was not allowed outside and I still saw no windows just bright neon lighting everywhere!

This was now my life!
I did not really understand any of it. I became so exhausted by the constant needles and the constant medications that I just accepted this as my life. On a regular basis I was removed from my crate and each time placed on the table, I would always end up in my crate feeling groggy, weak and with patches of fur missing. I noticed that it was on my legs and paws until one day.

I was as usual placed and handled as many times before but when I woke up this day my tummy hurt. They had started with taking bloods and injecting different medications which sometimes made me sick, gave me an upset tummy and even frothing at the mouth with no control I could not stand up at all some days.

That was how life was for me, I handled it each time but what hurt me mostly was that my male companion had stopped giving me affection. He handled me like an object and seemed to have forgotten how I loved him. All he does now is make me feel sick and weak.

The female companion often had tears in her eyes as she could see how I was fading away, I had lost all hope and had lost my spirit. I no longer jumped up to greet them but tried to hide in the back of the small crate. I knew that each time they would come into the room I would be removed and placed on the table and then wake up feeling sick.

I had been sedated so many times that I was becoming resistant to the medication and they needed a higher dose which took its toll on me. It made me more and less able to function. I had tubes forced down my throat while the sedation was not even working properly and it hurt me. Despite sedation I felt every painful moment.

The worst of all was when they started to practice operations on me. They would let a student cut me open and investigate me. The male companion would watch and direct him but it hurt so much I though I would die right there. I had, had enough?

Six years I had endured such agony and let the male companion do as he wanted with my body without a care for me as his loyal companion. I once again waited for another day where I was to be opened up and have tubes forced into me with little sedation feeling every pull and cut. The male companion did not ask the nice female companion this day and came marching towards me. I did not hear one kind word or see a kind eye, instead he tried to grab me abruptly so I did something I would never have done and growled and bared my teeth to keep him from hurting me anymore. So he kicked my crate and walked off angry but then returned with other men to help him get me out of the crate. There was so much shouting and anger, I felt so confused. They were rough and scary. I yelped with all my might but they just restrained me and put a horrible and hard plastic muzzle on me.

I shut down which made it difficult for them and I heard the male companion who had betrayed me say that I was no good to him any more. It was the female companion whose eyes I looked into that was to help me. As I looked at her I saw pools of tears in her eyes and she pleaded for my life. My time had come and I was to be destroyed. I was once a little dog full of gentleness and love, now I trusted no-one and feared everything. I had experienced so much pain at mans hand I just could not take it anymore.

The female companion remained kind and I owe her my life! The little life I felt I had at that point anyway. I thought once again of my lost little brother, it seems so long since he had come into my thoughts he always reminded me of how precious life was.

I never saw the male companion again but the female companion was my guardian until I could be moved to safety, it needed to be quick. The female companion had confidence and belief in me despite my inner madness and torment, she saw something in me no-one had ever tried to see before. All my life I have been at the mercy of human hands, what will become of me now?

She came and collected me from the torture chamber where I had lived for most of my life and where I grew from a young dog into middle age. I was led through those corridors again but this time we headed around a corner where a door with windows stood before me. I had not seen this before, she opened the door after pushing those buttons I remember so well and for the first time in six years I stepped outside.

It hurt my eyes and I feared the outside world. I refused to go through the doors and pulled back. I kept trying to lift my paws away from the ground which was a stranger to me. I had been so used to cold clinical floors. This new ground was so different and felt uncomfortable.

She was so patient with me as I just could not bare the thought of stepping outside. So she reached into her pocket and gave me a treat, it tasted so nice much nicer than the dry food I had eaten all this time. Then she dropped some on the ground outside. I took each step through that door reluctantly and as though my paws were on fire.

Before I knew it I was outside and there was no going back, I looked around me tail between my legs afraid of the wind and the sounds. I heard dogs barking and they were louder than I had ever heard before, my senses started to awaken and too much to take in.

There was a car there and friendly looking people, I had no idea they were taking me away from this place. I just wanted to run. What if they hurt me like my male companion?

I slipped out of the female companions grip and ran for my life but there was nowhere to go. I ran around a corner and stopped in my tracks. There were large containers there and the lifeless bodies of fallen dogs like me. They had either died through the constant experiments or destroyed due to their inability to serve anymore useful purpose. I barked and barked and felt so trapped and afraid. I was so consumed by these horrible sights of my fallen comrades and so scared that this could have been my fate that when the female companion rushed around the corner with the strange people I just completely shut down unable to move. I shook so violently my muscles ached.

What is there for me now, what and where am I to be taken now?













Hope

Pictures taken by the female technician in the institute
Muzzled to silence protest

1












2
Hope sedated for more tests






2
Background is blurred to not implicate the institute. Ear tagged and numbered!









3
Sedated!










I was scooped up while remaining rigid; a man placed me into the back of the car. I know it was a struggle for the man as I was so tense I put my full body weight on his arms. I could see the veins in his arms and sweat building.

On the back seat a kind female companion sat with me. I had a blanket and there were cloths in case I had an accident. She gave me space but also kept her hand on me to comfort me and to keep me calm. My heart was beating so fast!

I closed my eyes on and off, every time I tried to close my eyes my fears got the better of me and I would instantly open them again. I could feel every movement of the car, I could feel the little bumps here and there with every road surface change. The male companion was driving and had his window open and I could feel warm breeze coming through the window. I could also smell the burning cigarette he had as he concentrated on the road the female companion continued to keep her hand upon me.

Oh what had I done to deserve mankind to throw me into such fear and confusion?

I had always been a good girl haven’t I? I had allowed companions close and even allowed my male companion at the institute to hurt me all the time. I did not mean to growl at him but I just did not want him to hurt me anymore.

I thought about my lost family and yearned to see them again. I was so disappointed with humans and thought good people were nowhere to be seen despite the female companion beside me. The doctor also had a female companion so was this man companion the same?

We arrived at a house; it was nothing like the institute and was like the one I had seen with Nanny. That was a comfort to me but I was not willing to get out of the car because I did not know what was inside for me.

I had no reason to fear as I was taken to a large area where there was lush green grass and I saw other dogs playing and running. They looked happy and not afraid. There were metal fences but not as high and it seemed that it separated different patches of land, where packs of dogs packed with each other. It was all in the open air and looked rather inviting.

I had not interacted with other dogs since Nanny and found it difficult at first to interact with them. I stayed slightly away and kept my self to myself. I would watch them with each other and thought how nice it was to be so carefree but I just could not let my guard down. I needed space and I needed time. All those years imprisoned in a crate only able to be free twice a week with a companion away from natural light, my heart wanted to be carefree so much but I just felt so isolated.

I felt alone!

I stayed here at this sanctuary for 8 weeks. Not a bad thing happened to me but I found it hard to adapt, I tried to copy other dogs but I did not bond with anyone as much as I wanted to. The companions who had brought me here were so kind and reached out to me and I tried but I knew this was only a stepping stone.

I was right because I was again to go on a journey. I travelled to a place called Greece where I would have sanctuary one again at a lady called Linda’s home. Again many dogs and lots of barking and excitement! So many dogs like me who had been hurt in one way or another. Some abandoned, some beaten, some were literally chucked out of moving cars and were left paralyzed in their back legs.

I understood their pain but had no bonding like I had with Nanny.

Linda was such a special person to help us and to give us love, affection, time and space. Each dog here was treated with the most extreme kindness. I started to loosen a little and responded to Linda in a way I thought I would never be able to do again. I still had fellow dog issues through not understanding their dog behaviour as my natural dog instincts were still a little confused with human conditioning but I was learning.

I had to start my life all over again, I needed to learn how to be a dog and not an object. Linda would give me one to one attention and treated me with frozen bones on hot days. I also became very fond of Linda’s husband and I would sneak into his study and sleep by his feet just as I had dreamed of so many times in earlier times.

I felt very cared for and started to make myself at home more than I had ever done in my whole life.

I learnt how to play and loved my frozen bones and I made a huge leap forward with my dog companions too!

Well it was one dog really called Maverick, he was permanently in Linda’s care because he had paralyzed legs. I am unsure why this was but he was left to die until Linda and her husband welcomed him into their home and hearts. They even got him a wheelchair to support his back legs. We would go out on nice evening walks along the beach with each other.

I cannot understand what it was about Maverick that allowed him into my space and heart. I felt as though my lost brother may have been very much like him. We were around the same age too.

Life was starting to feel very nice indeed.

Linda allowed people to come and stay with her to get help with us all and one particular day a female companion from the uk came to visit. I thought she was another volunteer like so many before her. I had relaxed much more by now and did not see her as a threat. It seems that without me knowing there was a lot of different things going on in the background for my benefit and this female companion from the uk was a big part of that.

You see Linda was not to be my lifetime human companion. I had one more journey to make and this lady called Vicky was the crucial human to make my life a happy ever after one.

Vicky stayed with us for a few days and went back to the uk. I thought that I would never see her again and that my life would end on the beach with Linda. I know there was a lot of phone calls and a dreaded vet clinic to visit. I found that very hard but survived because I knew Linda would protect me. I trusted her with my life.
If I was at the doctors then I knew it was to make sure I was in good health. I had to have injections but it did not hurt and once I had them I was allowed a treat and left, no crate, no feeling bad or sick.

I was safe!
I stayed with Linda for a month, I wanted to stay I really did but my destiny was in the Uk. Behind the scenes the lady companion Vicky worked tirelessly to get me away from the institute, to the sanctuary and then to Linda’s my final journey would lead me to my home for life. I just did not know that yet.

Vicky was my saviour and does not agree with how I was treated at the institute and wants to help others like me to find homes away from the horrors of our pasts.

On the day of my finale journey, I had to say goodbye to human companions I started to love and will always love. I had to say goodbye to Maverick too, my adopted brother by heart. I did not know that I would not see him again. To me it was another journey another move and yet more companions to have to get to trust and know again.

I did not know that after arriving in the uk Maverick would move on to rainbow bridge. I know I will see him in years to come. Thank you my friend!







Me chilling and rather relaxed at Linda’s












My friend Maverick who passed away 2013 after I left Linda’s










So here I am again on this journey of life. I have been alive on this earth for 7 years now and many of those years have been painful and frightening. It seems now my final journey was about to begin.

Yet again a male and female companion had been assigned to be my travel companions. I was to be escorted from Greece to the UK accompanied by another little dog much smaller than me. We were crated and my crate felt very small indeed.

I know there was much media interest in me in the Uk which gave me safe passage with the companions.

It has been told that escorts that travel to countries with dogs going to far away homes take money and then the dogs disappear. I was lucky though as I had good companions. I also had the protection of Vicky in the Uk.


I started to travel with my human and little dog companion with an open mind. I had already been through so much I thought the worst now would be death, this would give me release and see my loved ones at rainbow bridge.

I had no need to worry though!

My dog companion and I were fed, watered and allowed out of our crates at times. I was glad because I felt so confined. Stretching my legs felt like heaven. I seemed to be rather travelled now though. From Albania, Greece. Holland, France and then Kent in the Uk

We arrived in Holland and stayed there for a while which was really nice. My dog companion and I were so glad to just have fresh air and get rid of the crates from around our bodies.

The human companions seemed very nice and made sure we were not unhappy and as comfortable as we could be considering the long journey. It was easier to bare all of the travelling by trying to shut out any thoughts I may have so I just curled up and closed my eyes as much as I could and accepted what ever fate lay ahead. For some strange reason I knew I would be ok. I was a survivor and strong. Look at everything I have been through and I am still here.

We travelled by sea on calm waters throughout the night until we arrived at the port of Folkestone in kent. We had to go through customs which was rather daunting but my little dog companion and I were once again on dry land.

Once back into the car we left the ferry and drove into a spacious car park and there in a white van sat Vicky and another female companion. I was safe in my cramped crate looking at Vicky’s familiar face and another not so familiar face. I noticed they looked tired. I had no concept of time but I did notice when they opened the car door and spoke to me with those tired but friendly faces the sound of seagulls and the cold crisp air.

There was much talking and Vicky and the fellow female companion opened my crate and beckoned me out. Everything was so different here and the cool air chilled my bones.


I needed encouragement to get out of the crate and I must admit I was just petrified. My ears were alert at all times I was looking at the companions, looking at all the port surroundings. I heard traffic in the distance and my tail was curled between my legs. The companion Vicky and her fellow female companion seemed so pleased and relieved to see me. I did not understand ,I had no knowledge of all the work that went on to get me here.

I was safe but I did not know it. The fellow female companion with Vicky held my lead but I just wanted to run as fast as I could because I was confused with what was going on. She comforted me in an accent not clear to me, but I listened to her tones and they were nervous yet kind.

She was my new female companion and would take me to her home, where I would spend the rest of my life. I just did not know it.

The companions who had brought my little dog friend and me here had to go and take the little dog companion to the north where he too would be in his new forever home and to live a life he never thought possible.


The new female companions name was Mandy and had agreed to help me. Vicky had contacted her and told her my story. It was a done deal. She just had to help even though I knew she was unsure and nervous.

Mandy and Vicky lifted me into the van as I was more eager to run than go with them. It is a common act for dogs like me to do in new and strange environments. It is a way of survival. When you think of everything that I had been through and the not knowing of what was to come you would understand. There was a blanket in the back and we made our way to my final destination.

Vicky and Mandy kept reassuring me and looking at me. Mandy was sizing me up I knew it and I was doing the same to her. In a strange way I felt connected to her and she did to me. She would not know that but I sensed it. I had waited my whole life to meet my soul companion.

There is much work ahead for us I know that but I had an ok feeling about it.

When we arrived at Mandy’s home , although still on tender hooks it looked like a home, just a normal home windows and a door with plants in a garden. Before I could go into the home a lady called Jean came out with a little dog. I looked at this little dog and saw how loyal she was to Mandy as she went straight to her. I also watched as Mandy stroked and greeted her with affection. Seeing this I too accepted the affection.

I was already a little jealous of this little dog! She had an easy life and had not gone through what I have had to go through, the little dogs name is Gemma and she would take on the role as my mentor. I know I was bossy and pushy with Gemma I even shouted at her and pushed her around. I was not very kind to her and yet I watched her and learned from her.
She showed me how to go to the toilet in the garden, where she sniffed I would follow. She was very patient and kind with me. I know my lack of friendliness made her fear me at first and I know that I pushed her away far too much. I just did not know what situation I was in and felt I needed that space again.

It just takes me a little while to adapt and because I have needed to keep strong and survive my defences were very high.

I remember that first day very well indeed and sensed Mandy and Gamma’s tension. Mandy kept a very close eye on me at all times and gave me a bath. I remember her doing this very clearly. I followed her and Gemma upstairs and she bathed Gemma first to show me it would be ok and then she picked me up.

She was shaking because she thought I would bite her, how could she think such a thing? I have never bitten anyone I promise. She knew what I had been through and was unsure how to be. I know she felt sad for me but then I also knew we needed to move forward.

I had a nice new bed to sleep on and companionship; I also had a dog companion when I was ready to accept it. On the first day though I was so unsure about what this was all about and I lay on my new bed and looked out of the glass doors crying. Mandy saw me do this and came and sat with me giving me comfort. It was a nice feeling to be here but very confusing and once again a new person companion to know and then loose again.

I had quite a life so far and in one short day I had met new people and a dog companion, had a bath, eaten well and had a walk where I explored my surrounding.

I bonded with Gemma more as we walked and then later that day Mandy’s family all came to meet me and I had my first taste of being welcomed into a proper family and not because they wanted to hurt me or inject me with things that made me sick but just because of me!

I also met another young female called Sammy this day. She could not walk and had a wheelchair like Maverick. So humans have poorly legs too? I was fascinated by this new world I had come into. I have never experienced so many different kinds of people all in the same place.

For the first three months in my new home I was very defensive and although I followed the new life I did not know how long I would stay. Is this a stop gap again or perhaps a forever home. I liked it, I really did. Mandy, Sammy, Gemma and their family showed me so much kindness and did everything they could to make me feel a part of the family. I know the first three months were a bit difficult as Mandy was unsure she could cope with a dog like me with my little hang ups and thought too much about my damage inside. She was also scared I would not get along with Gemma.

She had nothing to fear because as I realized I was here to stay I started to relax and become a well taught student with Gemma’s help. I have really learned a lot from Gemma you know, she has been very forgiving of my bossy ways and I love going for walks with her.

Sammy is fun too because she chucks me and Gemma treats when her mum Mandy is not looking. I also sneak a little toy out here and there…ssssh!

I was not let of the lead for those three months until Mandy was sure but when she finally had the courage to do so in a wide open field I ran as fast as the wind blew. The funny thing though is that I did not run to escape and not go back I ran and ran because I was free and I had a home with people who have hope and faith in me.

I even want to play with Gemma, and made a friend called ruby the spaniel.

I did the usual thing with a strange dog and barked with shackles up to these two dogs one called Maggie and her daughter Ruby. Well Maggie gave me a run for my money and told me in no uncertain terms I am not allowed to sass her daughter. I backed off and resumed the submissive manner and then something wonderful happened …

Ruby came over to me and kissed me on the nose!

I have not had that warm feeling since my mother and it broke the spell. We became the best of friends and ran, frolicked and played. I wanted to play with her forever. Gemma and Maggie our mothers just sat back and watched us play as we went CRAZY!
I was officially on the mend.

In mandy’s kitchen where treats and food galore live and where I jump up at mandy who then dances with me is a sign and the sign reads

Home is where the story begins!

As I had never officially had a home before it had little meaning to me. Now I had an understanding. Although my story had a shaky start my home is here and now a new chapter can begin. Six months later I am a gentle soppy family dog who has just celebrated Christmas like a family does. I can finally lay my head down on the big comfy sofa with my family around me and fall asleep contented despite Gemma’s loud snoring!







Me who had just arrived at the port of Folkestone 2013
























Me and Vicky!


























Me investigating by the pond













Gemmy my mate!



























At the embassy before Home!








Look Gem!
There is a whole new world out there for me now!











HOME













Mandy



Ever since childhood I have detested any form of animals cruelty, I remember very clearly bawling my eyes out at fox hunting and lab rats to name just two of far too many atrocities against the voiceless.

I am very much for giving my voice on behalf of those who need it, mostly for my beautiful daughter who has profound disabilities. Through my daughter and my love of animals I advocated myself to signing petitions and the like on social media sites.

It was through a social media site that I came across the story of the little brown dog and Peta’s anti vivisection pages , it was also where I found a newly formed group called Unite to care, which was founded by Vicky Fraser and supported passionately by likeminded people such as my self.

We all had a common interest in ensuring that animals used in research are re-homed once their laboratory life has ceased rather than the animal being destroyed. The greatest would be the end of animal research all together but each step is a milestone.

I found myself getting more enlightened through the work of Unite to care and even though I knew that animal research was still rife it was not something I knowingly thought about until I became more open mined through Unite to care and was endeared and passionately agreed with their aim in helping the animals confined in institutions such as Hope had been such a big part of. It seems strange to look back from now that this little dog out there needed sanctuary and help.

I became so open to the atrocities of animal research and became so exposed to that and other abuses against animals that I started to attend protests. These were not heavy overly vocal public displays but very gentle but powerful and may I say emotional. We become so consumed by daily routine that we do not realize the pain and suffering that is around us for animals such as research animals and the persecuted badgers, foxes, hares and countless others but also the human civilization as a whole.

So many need support and a collective to stand up and help them get recognition for help they need.

I would follow unite to care religiously and decided that I would travel to Alderly edge and stand united with these remarkable people and be another voice to an ever growing group. I have always wanted to be as passionate and take the leap in attending but there was always a reason to find excuses as to not do it!

I remember feeling very much out of my comfort zone and nervous as I had left Sam in capable hands but also very excited. I dropped Sam off at school and my sister Aimee collected me and after having a coffee together took me to Dover Priory station where I proceeded to get myself aboard the train to my overnight destination.

I felt a mission laid ahead not quite mission impossible but certainly a personal mission that I was very much proud to be part of. I was elated at coping with a journey by train and not getting onto any wrong carriages, please bare in mind I had not been on a train for over 15 years.

Tally hoe and all that!

I arrived on a pretty bright spring day at Alderly Edge station and made my way on foot to the little guest house full of friendliness and comfort. I had been as thorough as I could be to find one close to the meeting the following day to show my support for the beagles held close by. I took advantage of the bright and mild day as I wandered around the local area, which was extremely beautiful. I saw a man playing 18 hole golf in his own back garden which blew me away and I saw the institution which had the most outstanding luscious grounds imaginable. I could also hear faint barking as I walked the outskirts of the institution.

It saddened me to think that all this beautiful and lush greenery around the institution was wasted on the beagles held inside. Trapped by a life of continual testing for mans so called good and welfare. Pah!

An institution guarded by security and common like many of these institutions do not enable the imprisoned beagles (in this case) one tiny paw outside, as this would contaminate research tests. It also saddened me thinking of the breeders who bred these animals for no other purpose than to be used for research institutions!

Imagine being born and condemned to a life held captive in small cages with only metal to stand and sit on, just imagine never seeing natural daylight, imagine having toxins forced into your body, being drained of bloods and having adverse dire side effects. Animals in research die so easily through this barbaric lifestyle. Some may say well they don’t know any better? Well I beg to differ. An animal used in research such as dogs/beagles, Primates, rats, mice, fish, horses, cats, pigs and more to say the least are aware that they are being forced to conform, that they are injected by things to make them sick and to be forced to have masks on their faces to inhale poisonous substances. Animals have instincts! Would you not come to a point in your life if treated in such a manner where you knew something was not right, just as they do?


Anyway, I feel my point is underpinned here. I had a comfortable night sleep in this friendly place and woke refreshed and eager to take my place. I was so eager I waited for some time across the road looking at the entrance wondering where everyone was and stated to feel a wee bit daft. I walked over to the security guard who was surprisingly polite and pointed out I was at the wrong entrance, my bad!

Oh well I trotted to the aforementioned entrance and saw the gathering, extremely relived I introduced myself and partook in the peaceful protest. Standing strong with my fellows and felt very welcomed and a part of what I hope will one day be a solution. We stood strong with supportive beeps from passing cars which made me feel such a sense of pride.

A doctor, who also attended, spoke eloquently and with vigour pointing out why animal research was outdated and the reality of the lives they lead. She also outlined better more effective non animal methods had been proven to supply human kind with better medical outcomes rather than the animal research methods which can do more harm than good!

What she said was true and informative, animals or rather test subjects are used for economic satisfaction and are supplied on demand and have no voice, so I guess protocol deems them as having no rights?

I agreed to take the leap of putting my name on the adopt list for a retired research dog without too much hesitation, although I did wonder how I would adapt myself with having a full hilt back home. I admit I did wonder if I was doing the right thing or was I being hasty, perhaps that could be said I suppose?

I did not expect much to happen for a long time to come. I returned home to Sam and Gemma without really considering the speed of what was about to happen. I attended the Alderly edge gathering in early April and by May time I had Hope pictures and video footage before my eyes.

I was knocked for six at first but watched the video over and over again and looked at the pictures trying to get to know this new little fellow who would be coming to live with us. I saw the pain in her eyes from the research institute and there was nothing else for it I had to welcome her into our family despite my fears and inner concerns.

I was not truly sure how damaged she was, how would her and Gemma our resident dog get along? Would I be what Hope expected of me? I was unsure I was right for the job. I wanted to get everything right!

Day by day I imagined her here with us and with each day I adapted at least mentally to the new experience that was about to beset us. It is much easier for an animal to adapt than for a human to come away from the familiar daily routine.

By June just a few weeks after the peaceful protest at Alderly Edge and a few small false starts in timings and dates due to protocol overseas, Hope was making her final destination to us. Vicky and her mum Jean drove down from afar (up North) to Kent, selflessly using their energies for Hope’s arrival. It was an exciting night and no sleep was to happen as Hope would arrive at 4am in the morning at the port of Folkestone.

There she was! This frightened as can be little mite who had been through far too much! I was nervous to say the least and thought. Here we are! EEEK! Imagination in to practice now Mandy!

The first three months were very tentative as Gemma copped a couple of snarly bashings and there were many calls to Vicky with me feeling very under equipped and worried that this was not right for me or Hope. I felt on tender hooks pretty much most of the time. This was down to my lack of experience to be fair in regard to a little soul who had become impregnated with constant abuse.

I had no reason to fear, as the weeks past and the interim period of us all getting to know each other had passed I noticed something truly magical. Three months of tension just stopped in its tracks.

I took Hope

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on July 21, 2014
Last Updated on July 21, 2014
Tags: dogs

Author

Mandy Flisher
Mandy Flisher

deal, kent, United Kingdom



About
my name is mandy a pleasure to meet ya i like to write ditty's to the dismay of my teachers i am here to shake hands with people like me who can share in the joy of writing you see! pleas.. more..

Writing
hope hope

A Chapter by Mandy Flisher


hope hope

A Book by Mandy Flisher