The Green Curtains

The Green Curtains

A Story by mandy
"

short story

"
The Green Curtains
She was part of a large family.  We shall call her Em,, Aunt Em.  As Em grew older, her mind started to take a peculiar turn.  In the house were some green curtains hanging over a doorway.  For some unknown reason, these curtains terrified her.  She warned everyone, "do not go thru those green curtains!" and added, "they are evil."  This was highly inconvenient to the other family members.  They tried passing thru those curtains when Aunt Em was not around.  Then one day they heard about a doctor who used hypnosis in his practice.  He claimed that he had helped some people with similar phobias.  They decided to give it a try.  Aunt Em was willing, as she was usually a very agreeable lady.  So the session was set up.  With mixed feelings, some hopeful, some skeptical, they entrusted Aunt Em to this doctor.  As the doctor was putting her in a trancelike state, he noted how clear eyed she seemed.  She certainly did not look like a mentally delusional person.  Soon she was in a deep trance.  "Just relax, Em.  Can you hear me okay?"  "Yes, she said.?  "Okay, we are going for a walk together.  You will be safe.  I will be with you.  Are you ready now?"  "Yes, she said."  "Okay, we are walking together thru a big house with many rooms."  They walk slowly thru several rooms, then make their way down a long hallway.  At the end of the hall, the doctor asks, "do you see that door with the green curtains?"  Em says, "Yes!  I do!  Don't go thru it, please!"  He asks, "Can you tell me why?"  Em says, "Yes, they are evil.  The Devil will get you if you pass thru that door!"  He reassured her that those curtains were not evil or associated with the Devil.  Then the doctor slowly awakened Em and asked if she felt okay.  "Yes, I do,"  she said.  Aunt Em seemed to be very relaxed and calm.  Then the doctor advised her family to change those curtains to a different color, as an added measure.   They agreed to do that.  So all ended well for Aunt Em and her family.  Then the doctor went home, smiling to himself, because in his house hung some green curtains over the door of a seldom used room.  He decided to enter the room, to lay to rest any lingering uneasiness left over from that session.  So he did.  Aunt Em's family were shocked when hearing the news a day later, that the doctor who had been so helpful to them, had fallen in his home, with a green curtain wrapped around his neck, and was quite dead.  So sad.

© 2018 mandy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A "sweet" twist at the end...

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very nice tale written. I liked the use of the green curtains. You made the reader believe and understand your words. Thank you Mandy for sharing the amazing tale.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


mandy

5 Years Ago

thx, coyote..I had stopped writing for a long time..just lost my spark for it,,,then I joined a wri.. read more
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I am glad you are writing Mandy. Please send read requests.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 2, 2018
Last Updated on November 10, 2018

Author

mandy
mandy

FL



About
i have lived in michigan and florida. married to a guitar playing man. i enjoy writing poems and songs. also, bowling and card playing..am a big nascar fan, and like hockey. more..

Writing
funny guys funny guys

A Poem by mandy