The God Enlil's breath

The God Enlil's breath

A Story by Anormaldog
"

A story about how Enlil, the Sumerian god of wind shared his breath with his people.

"
And he said to thee

"Summa Awil Igisum Pu Enlil Erau" Then he stretched out his lungs to where the sun sets, and his teeth touched the corner of the Earth. He blew like a stead upon his yoke turning them to dust.

A Sumerian tribe sick of their Gods started praying for immortality. They believed in star dust, calling it Kuan, the gate to the heavens. To reach it, they were ready to fall like a tide upon the Earth, rising to the brink of stardom, then soaring like an eagle.
But the only one listening to their thoughts was Enlil, the God of wind. He needed something from these people. They were gifted beyond measure having been the first civilisation who used metal in prayers to the Gods.

So with a smooth voice he offered them a way to reach Kuan. And they did not hesitate. Giving up their senses to Enlil was a small tribute, a simple yes on the road to salvation.

But the rewards were beyond the furthest point light ever reached. Humans would get the breath of Enlil. The catalyst in their cosmic trip was here. They would not see their children grow or smell the blooming flower. Even the morning dew would not be cold for them.

Kissing would become the most intimate action one could take. If you exaled onto another, in your mind his illness would be visible. Yet you could not heal.

Their common prayers to Enlil looked like new born pups reaching for the tit. But unable to feed, hydrate, just to love beyond measure they slowly withered. One by one they felt the one beside breathe slower and slower, like a candle that shakes before dying.

Enlil gathered what the Sumerians gave him. He shined the light front their eyes to the Goddess Nihil. Her voice sounded lovely having Sumerian voices as the choir. Even her skin was soft as grass due to their sacrifice. She thought Enlil was in love.

But there was no love left for the Sumerians though. Like broken toys they were left to fend for each other. Unable to survive they decided to die by meditating their last pieces of life in the sky to their God. And so this tribe remained a shell. A shell of the brightest snail, moving slowly towards a highway.

Maybe If they knew their actions would not have been in vain, they would of died feeling the tears on their cheeks.

In the depths of hell stabbed front all sides by giant ravenous worms, Enlil suffered. He would be eaten cell by cell by spiders that feed on pieces of skin. And since he was there for raping Nihil he would get the same. This did not phase him until his mind caught a valiant brush of air.

It shook him to the core, because he recognized those who had breathed it. They were wallowing in despair not knowing why he left them. Regret filled his bones. So scary was this idea that his will faded. It went down for millenia one drop at a time.

Enlil screamed. His roar was sad like a swan song in the vulture's clutches. No more tears were left in his eyes. Screaming food was the tastiest so a hungry worm spiked its proboscis into Enlil's spine sucking the marrow. He only wished to see them alive, so this pushed him forward. He endured that brutal pain, being so close to ending his own life.

When his torture ended he slowly dragged himself out of hell. Reaching the outside world he took in the smell of the present day. And in that instant he knew there were no more Gods and no more Sumerians. He could not suffer any more.
Pain was like bread to his starving mind. He plucked out his eyes, tore his tongue to pieces, ripped his skin apart until only blood fell through the clouds.

'Hey love, isn't strange that its raining. The forecast was different. I missed kissing you. Your mouth is so tender, like it grew in ripe tomatoes

'Always the poetic one. How about you?

'I'm fine. Let's go home and drink some tea. Then we can share the bed by the window and read a bit of Tolstoi with this rain as music.

'It's like you read my mind.

© 2017 Anormaldog


Author's Note

Anormaldog
I hope you enjoy. It's different than what I wrote until now.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on July 3, 2017
Last Updated on July 8, 2017
Tags: God, death, love, Gods, sumerian, breath, hell, torture