No Stone Unearned

No Stone Unearned

A Story by marci mangham
"

This was the first thing I wrote after an 18-month hiatus of writer's block and depression. It was for a contest with a specific prompt, word count and deadline. Got an honorable mention, at least.

"

 "Silly Scilla, silly Scilla," Natalie sang, as she pushed another tiny blue flower into her hair. When Mommy cleared her throat, she remembered the celery seeds that had been spilling out of her apron all morning. If only “helping” didn’t mean doing all the work these days. 


She sighed and settled down in an empty row, digging her bare toes into the soil. She froze when her foot bumped something hard. Scooping the dirt aside with her fingers, she found a tiny, tattered purse. Glancing at her mother to ensure the secret treasure was still a secret, she tossed the celery seeds into the wind and slowly opened the clasp.

Natalie was greeted with an amber glow when the purse opened. It shone brightly into her blue eyes, turning them a hazy green. The shining object was a rock, but not just any rock; it seemed…magic, somehow. With trembling hands she gripped it. The rock was so cold that she pulled her hands away and dropped it. She quickly picked it up again, as if the hot dirt might taint it in some way.

“Natty!” she heard her mother call. 

She quickly returned the rock to its hiding place, shoved the little purse into her apron and ran to the house. Natalie made quick work of dinner and her bath, telling Mommy she was tired and ready for bed.

“Are you feeling okay, honey?” Mommy asked her. 

“Fine Mommy, I just worked really hard with you today,” she answered with a sweet smile. “And could you leave the light on, please? I wanna look at my homework again and make sure my spelling is right.” The truth was she hadn’t done her homework at all. She needed help with it, but all Mommy did anymore was cry, so what was the point in asking for help? It might make Mommy cry even more.

As soon as the bedroom door had shut, Natalie reached under her bed and pulled out the tattered purse. This time the rock emitted a bluish hue, but it was as cool as it had been the first time she touched it. Almost instinctively, she lifted the magic stone to her mouth and kissed it, closing her eyes tightly. The rock grew warmer in her hands and she pressed it to her cheek.

 

“Homework,” Natalie said.

 

She felt a little shock, like a buzzing sensation coursing through her veins. At first she was scared, but when the buzzing stopped, she looked down and found her assignment completed, and in her very own handwriting. She smiled and returned the stone to the purse and carefully put it back under her bed. She slept little that night, the endless possibilities of magic dancing through her head.

 

 


The next day Natalie practically sprinted from the bus to the front door.  She gave Mommy a quick hug and pretended not to notice that she was throwing away a Kleenex. She closed her bedroom door and went straight to her special stone, this time shining bright red.

 

“Candy,” she said with a giggle.

 

An hour later when Mommy called her for dinner, Natalie shoved the candy bar wrapper under the bed with the purse and said she had a tummy ache and didn’t want dinner. Mommy placed her warm hand on Natalie’s forehead and declared that she didn’t have a fever. Natty lay in bed wishing she knew the name of the yucky stomach stuff Daddy used to give her. She didn’t even mind the bad taste when Daddy did airplane with it. He was so funny.

 

Over the next week, Natalie brought home a “stray” puppy (making Mommy cry even more often), made perfect scores on her school work, and gained five pounds. She mostly stayed in her room with her puppy when she wasn’t helping in the garden or with the dishes. She and Mommy rarely spoke anymore, for she had a new friend who didn’t cry and gave her anything she wanted.  

 

 

One day Natalie came home to find Mommy lying on the couch staring straight ahead. Under her bloodshot eyes were circles the color of a juicy plum. She looked as though she had finally cried herself to death.

 

“Mommy! Mommy?” Natalie screamed as she ran to her.

 

“Hi, baby,” Mommy whispered quietly. She was still alive!

 

Natty ran to her room, unsheathed her rock and went back to Mommy, standing in front of the couch. She closed her eyes as tightly as she could and kissed the orange rock. She felt its familiar warmth rising as she held it against her face.

 

 

Daddy,” Natalie whispered softly.

© 2009 marci mangham


Author's Note

marci mangham
***Not for critiques. This was just my first shot at easing back into writing...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a beautiful story, Marci. Natalie gaing five pounds had me laughing. I bet there are tons of wrappers under her bed! I love that when it came down to it, her first thought was for her mother's heartache. Natalie whispering, "Daddy" was a perfect ending. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


I'm not critiquing this or anything. Just saying. It's good is all. Sorry.

Posted 14 Years Ago


What the heck happened with my fonts?? ;-)

Posted 14 Years Ago


As you wish , no critique, I know that feeling wanting to get back on the saddle and ride again and the best thing to is just jump on and keep going.. writing for me is like excerice I have to do it a lot or it gets weak..and as I write more I can feel it getting stronger.. so I hope you will excercise your writing skills more often now that you are off the hiatus

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 18, 2009

Author

marci mangham
marci mangham

dallas, TX



About
I wrote my first book at age 11. I published a short story collection called Both Ends Burning in 2007. more..

Writing