Memoir

Memoir

A Story by Maria Kay Clary
"

I wrote this in school. Last year.

"

Maria Durdan

Mrs.Beahm

Composition Hour 5

Memoir

26 February 2013

Moving Without a Tree.

I was sitting in a park next to a tree  and thinking about the house that got away and losing my favorite tree and when I think about it I can still hear my dad say, “Maria!”.

“What!,”  i said as i walked into the small living room.  

My dad looked sad as he looked at the carpet. “We're moving,” my  dad said.

“What!” I said i could feel the walls closing in on me i couldn’t leave this place the backyard with its wonderful tree and the school i went to i couldn’t leave some of my favorite teachers!

“ They are going to tear down our house,Maria, the renters want us to leave so this place can be a parking lot.

“Oh no, do we have time to pack up?” I said. There were so many questions in my mind. I couldn’t believe this was happening i can’t lose my childhood home. Everyone got to go back to go see thiers when they got older! It wasn’t fair and  i looked at my dad. He was devastated he had been living here for 25 years or more this is all him and my mother know and call home! “ We have a couple of days before we leave i just wanted to tell you now.” My dad said. I couldn’t look at my dad’s sad face any more so i went outside and sat on one of the branches of my favorite tree in our backyard and  there was a little hill that lead to the tree I always walked up the hill  to get to the tree. I sat and saw the music store that was across broadway from my house. It was the  music stores roof was the perfect place to watch a sunset when you sat on that tree. I felt an emptiness inside that i have never felt before; i felt like i was losing everything and watching and waiting for the days to go by and to know to treasure every day,even though, i knew i was going to lose it all and no one cared or helped us out.  It was summer time I was supposed to be having a good time. I had  just finished fifth grade and i was worried for my little brother and sister if we moved it would hurt them to go to a different school. It wouldn’t bother me though, but i always felt bad for them. I could remember before the trees were gone the sun glowed a wonderful yellow orange as it was slowly fading from view. “Dinner!” yelled my mom. I walked slowly down the hill not knowing if this would be the last time i saw a beautiful sunset like that ever again and if in the morning i would see my tree.

The tree i sat on was a cool dark brown  tree. My parents planted it  before i was born and by the time i got older i was able to climb on it and find the perfect sunset watching spot. When we left that tree wouldn’t be there, by the time we move they had cut down all the trees on that hill. I sat at the small table in the  hallway close to the living room it was small it was just for the table. The living room was bigger but it was just a tv and a couch that had a bed inside it but we  threw it out  and got another couch the other one had mice in it. Dinner was spaghetti again. It was always my favorite even when i was little. I ate really slow letting the warm tomato sauce and noodles stay in my mouth for a while letting this meal sink in. It maybe the last meal in this house i ever have. I sat there and looked around i noticed i was all alone. Is our cat okay?I wondered. I remembered when we had to take the cat to the pound. I hope it found a good home,but ever since then i always wonder  if it has a good life now with other people and it has food and love. I picked that cat out with my dad at a friend’s house that was selling cats and we bought it.   I hate being alone when i eat dinner  where is everyone? i thought.  I knew that they might be packing up their stuff getting ready for moving. I didn’t want to think about it. I  wanted to eat  my dinner and have everything be normal again. I am not losing my house everything is normal,but i knew it wasn’t. I saw Tommy in the living room with his fake horse. “ I’ am going outside!” he yelled. He took the horse with him. I went into the kitchen and threw my food away in the garbage and the bowel   into  the small sink. I went to my room and there was Sarah was wearing a nice green t-shirt and blue jeans in  our room with her dolls.

“Doesn’t she look cute?” she asked me as i sat down on her soft bed. “Yes,” i said as i looked at the plastic Barbie doll that Sarah dresses up  had a nice blue dress and a pony tail in its blonde hair.

“ Did dad tell you?” I asked not wanting to pretend to her that nothing was going on i wanted her to know. “About what?” she asked. Here it comes, please don’t cry , i thought.  

“We're moving Sarah.” i said as i looked at the dull white wall not wanting to see her sad face. “ What, where!” she said.

“I don’t know dad told me ,” i said. “Oh is that why we gave the cat away to the pound?” she asked.

“Yes.” i said. “I think we are packing tomorrow.”I said.

“Does Tommy know?” she asked. “No i don’t want to tell him.”I said. I wanted my mom to tell him i just couldn’t break it to him and his horse and him and his dumb red shoes.Tommy ran back inside and we could hear the door slam. It was getting late,i could see the dark sky.

“Time for bed.” My dad said behind our wood door. Tommy slept out in the living room and Sarah and I slept in a small bedroom. I went to bed knowing  we were going to pack tomorrow. I woke up to sound of a bed leg scraping the ground. I open my eyes and notice Sarah wasn’t in the room. I opened the book to find empty boxes everywhere in the living room.

“Help pack up your stuff,” said my dad as he was carrying a bed frame outside. “Their taking our house away to make a parking lot,” said my mom upset not knowing what was going to happened.

“ I talked to the renters we are going to another house!” said my dad.My mom said

“My dad had been on the phone while i was asleep and talked to someone about letting us rent a house for a while”,but my mom was still worried.I was relieved and happy. I went back into my room and took a box with me. I took everything out of my drawers and Sarah came in and helped me put her clothes in a box.We also put Sarah’s Barbies into a box and some of the things off of my dresser and into a box with the Barbies. I had to help my dad put everything into the moving van the chairs and tv and beds because  my mom had bad knees and couldn’t help. I was really hard and heavy some of the stuff we had to move but my dad was there to help me.   We worked all day. I was the last one  to get into the moving van i walked inside the empty house one more time. I wanted to cry really bad. It’s not fair, I thought. I slowly walked back outside to the moving truck. Later  that evening, my dad put everything into a small moving truck.We were all so tired thankfully we had something to sleep on that night.  It was almost midnight as my dad drove us to the new house.We were in our house  house. We went to bed. We were all sleeping on one mattress.We woke up we had to hurry and grab things and put them in an outside welcoming room and all the boxes started to pile up i didn’t know what to do. “What do i do,Dad? i asked as i was almost being smashed by boxes. “Put them inside!” he yelled. “Ok!” i yelled back. I started giving boxes and boxes to my mom and Sarah. Later, we started opening the boxes. It was way after lunch time and we were all hungry,but we had to unpack everything. Next,came the hard part bringing in the beds and bed frames. My mom and dad’s bed was huge and they decided to take the bedroom down stairs and my dad had to do it all by himself because my mom’s knees were really bad. I helped my dad slowly walk the bed down the big concrete stairs, scared i was going to fall and break my head open. As we walked into the big room a relief came over me that we had made it down into the room with out dieing. “Well we can sleep tonight!”my dad yelled up to my mom. I smiled at my dad was happy that we had made it though so much. Next,were Sarah’s and I bed’s. They were easier to bring in and we had decided to take the room left of the bathroom,but there was a problem.  It was a really small hallway to get into the room. My dad and i had to flip over the bed on it’s side to even get into the room.We had to do that with Tommy’s bed too. We got the big dresser that had the tv sit on top of it, that was hard too just like the beds. My dad hooked up the tv and it took hours as we hooked up the phone system to get the tv to work. We had the phone sitting on a small table. When we all got the tv back on their was a big “YAY!” from everyone! We all sat on the ground and watched tv,but I couldn’t I had to help my dad bring in the chairs. There were pretty light,but one of them the big blue chair that leaned back when you pulled the lever was really hard,but my dad didn’t want any help with it so we watched as my dad brought in the chair and we all fought over who would sit in it so we let my dad sit in it. I helped bring in the rest of the chairs.It was fun moving in but i couldn’t help but want to go back just one more time,but i knew i couldn’t.We all sat down and were ecxcited as the cable came on and we were so tired we sat thier and watched tv all night not sure what was going to happen nex or if i would see that house again.I knew i would never forget the tree i sat on almost every day to watch the sun go down,but for right now i had a tv and i was happy for right now.

© 2015 Maria Kay Clary


Author's Note

Maria Kay Clary
There are grammar issues. Too lazy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

503 Views
Added on December 26, 2015
Last Updated on December 26, 2015
Tags: memoir, fun, school

Author

Maria Kay Clary
Maria Kay Clary

Minot, ND



About
Hey everyone! I wanted to let you guys know that I got married like a year ago! I also published three books last year! One thru Authorhouse and two thru Amazon KDP! They are called Zombelina, A poetr.. more..

Writing