Uncovering Leadership Essay

Uncovering Leadership Essay

A Story by mariagilmore

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Uncovering Leadership by Custom Writing Company Essay Supply

Name

Institution

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Uncovering Leadership

Vroom and Jago (2007) contend that all definitions of leadership take into account the view that leadership involves the process of influencing others. There exist different leadership styles and theories which explain the various types of leaders in the day-to-day organizations (Munir et al., 2012). As such, this paper focuses on interviewing a selected leader within the local area and evaluates that person's leadership style according to the existing theories. At the same time, it examines the health of that leader’s organization based on the information shared during the interview and using any additional relevant sources to support the assessment. The last section deals with a comparison of the relationship that exists between the selected executive’s leadership style and the organization’s health, as conveyed by the interview and information from the organization's website.

Assessment of Leadership Style of the Selected Executive

Mr. James Victor is a senior manager in one of the local supermarkets in my area which has several branches across the country. During an interview, it proved essential to ask him how he would describe his leadership style and the role this plays in his organization health. Based on the information collected, it is evident that James utilizes both transactional and transformation leadership styles. James motivates his employees through a reward system in exchange for good performance and efforts. Further, he draws his leadership style from his intellectual capability, individual considerations as well as an extensive delegation.  Also, James always listens and entertains new ideas. He understands that success of the organization depends on the team efforts derived from his willingness to listen to the employees’ ideas and incorporate their insight into how he manages the business. At the same time, he is a proactive decision maker as he does not depend on other company’s manager to reaction to situations first. He takes risks in an attempt to develop innovative approaches to growing the supermarket.

 This is to ensure that he achieves collective efficacy and a foundation of collective identity so that employees have a sense of self-efficacy and self-worth. To a great extent, James meets these goals by empowering his employees, giving them a considerable level of authority, accountability, and responsibility for their duties. In return, James says that this has led to increased work commitment. He emphasizes the importance of developing the employees in the organization, ensuring their satisfaction with work, effectiveness and high productivity (McCleskey, 2014). James strives to make deals that motivate the workers using his managerial expertise and knowledge.

Assessment of the Health of the Leader’s Organization

 Satisfaction and its influence on absenteeism are some of the factors that demonstrate James' organization health based on his leadership styles.  Often, there exist a relationship between individuals work satisfaction and absenteeism. Therefore, there must be a connection between these two factors. Since James’ leadership style involves motivating and developing the employees by empowering them, it is evident that these individuals experience heightened job satisfaction (McCleskey, 2014). With high job satisfaction, the employees report to work every day without missing. The organization benefits as a result of such commitment from the employee due to less withdrawal intention from them.  Further, James specific management practices have positive impacts on the employee abilities, skills, knowledge and performance, critical factors that help to reduce absenteeism (Munir et al., 2012). According to different scholars, transformational leadership style significantly contribute towards reduction of absenteeism as employees experience a sense of support from their supervisors (Munir et al., 2012). As an outcome, this provides a work environment in which people report to work daily.

According to Elshout, Scherp and van der Feltz-Cornelis (2013), receiving support from leadership style directly relates to the transformational and transactional leadership because managers have the capacity to control their employees more and tells them what they should do. By giving the employees, responsibility reduces absenteeism coupled with guiding them towards the right direction. Individuals less satisfied with their work and supervisors have a tendency record absenteeism as they ask for leaves just to get a day off (Munir et al., 2012).  When people have a source of support to steer them through the changing work environment, their commitment increases which benefit the organization regarding revenues. James leadership style directly relates to increased employee job satisfaction as it offers structure and guidance alongside enhancing individuals’ autonomy in some of the situations.  Employees feel secure and contented which means they remain motivated to provide quality services to the customers (Elshout, Scherp & van der Feltz-Cornelis, 2013). All these factors contribute substantially to the organization bottom line, sustainability and competitiveness within the local market where it operates.

Comparison between Relationship of Selected Leadership Style and Organization Health

 Transformational leadership relates to approaching situations in new ways; this leadership style leads to the health of the organization as it impacts its performance level substantially. Further, it improves the development of teams and decision-making reorganizations. The commitment to work by the employees leads to organization stability as well as ability to face competition (Gholamzaden & Khazaneh, 2012). On the same note, the transactional leadership styles motivate employees to work hard and become loyal as well as creative. Therefore, James leadership styles create a fruitful atmosphere for every person to attain the organizational objectives efficiently. As a result, this influence performance, the organization vision and efficiently in how business operations and customers are handled (Munir et al., 2012). As indicated above, work engagement leads to high productivity and meets the needs of clients effectively. Although transactional leadership style does not appear to have much effect on the organizational health, there are indeed positive impacts found in the literature.

Conclusion

Indeed, leadership is an important aspect of any organization. Transactional and transformational leadership styles impact businesses positively. These leadership methods increase employee enthusiasm and invite employees to make systematic improvements and changes. In return, this lead to heightened organizational health due to better performance increased job satisfaction and reduction of absenteeism. It is imperative to understand the characteristic of one’s leadership style to ensure it directly relates achieving the set business goals. Transformation leadership shapes a person’s management practices in such a way to reinforce their employee's overall job satisfaction.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

References

Elshout, R., Scherp, E., & van der Feltz-Cornelis, C. M. (2013). Understanding the link between leadership style, employee satisfaction, and absenteeism: a mixed methods design study in a mental health care institution. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment, 9, 823. Retrieved from

Gholamzaden, D., & Khazaneh, A. (2012). Surveying the relationship between leadership styles, organizational health, and workplace bullying. Journal of Global Strategic Management, 12, 5-22. Retrieved from

McCleskey, J. A. (2014). Situational, transformational and transactional leadership and leadership development. Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 5(4), 117. Retrieved from

Munir, R. I. S., Rahman, R. A., Malik, A. M. A., & Ma’amor, H. (2012). Relationship between transformational leadership and employees’ job satisfaction among the academic staff. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 65, 885-890. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.11.215

Vroom, V. H., & Jago, A. G. (2007). The role of the situation in leadership. American 
               Psychologist, 62(1), 17. doi:10.1037/rmh0000008

 

 

© 2017 mariagilmore


Author's Note

mariagilmore
This work is done as the part of custom writing service, provided by the team of Essay Supply.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on September 24, 2017
Last Updated on September 24, 2017
Tags: leadership, essay

Author

mariagilmore
mariagilmore

Delaware, DE



About
Maria Gilmore, Author and writer more..

Writing