The Sweetest Downfall

The Sweetest Downfall

A Poem by mariah
"

It's an epic poem that I had to write for school, but basically it's the story of Samson and Delilah.

"

The Sweetest Downfall

 

Latania, the muse of deception, I invoke thee.

I pray to thee, extract thy thoughts and tell the story, the story of the beautiful deception.

In a colorless land, a land unknown to most, a peculiar birth took place.

The child Samson was born of a barren women.

Thy mother saw the face of God, in the form of an angel, an angel of the Lord; who spoke to her saying;

“Women, you will give birth to a son. You should consume nothing impure. And when this child is born, neigh should you take the scissors to his head, for he will be the savior if the Israelites. He shall deliver them from the hands of the Philistines, yet ensuing this, he will fall to them whom he escaped.”

The mother considered what the angel of the Lord had said, and so was muddled by his prophetic words.

Yet she took heed to his instruction,

and so the child was born.

Never did the mother eat anything un-pure,

never did she cut his hair.

And so grew Samson, steady and strong, to the age of marrige.

It so happened one day, a day that it was customary to draw water into pails from the village, that Samson met a women.

Beautiful and pure, sweet, yet diverting was she.

The lovely girl like a swan, its feathers white as snow, airing around a crystal pond with every animal watching its beautiful nature.

So this young girl captured the attention of Samson.

So much, that he took her as his wife.

Yet Samson let his arrogance prevail over him, for at the wedding ceremony, a riddle he told to all of the family of the beautiful young girl.

Perplexed were they, for none could figure out what the young man was saying.

The young girl, herself confused, oblidged Samson to tell her his riddle.

And so he did, but reluctantly, for haughty was his sprit.

And once his arrogance was cut, no longer he was happy, and so he divorced the young women whom he had once loved.

This seemed to take no toll on Samson, for immediately following this grand divorce, he went straight to the street and found a prostitute.

With her he slept, yet while in her house the Philistines plotted to cut him down.

Until morning they planned to wait, yet it was the middle of the night that Samson left.

And so safely he got away, and the Philistines were irked, fuming now, eager to take down this man,

for he stood in the way of Israel,

with whom God was angry,

and had delivered into the hands of the Philistines.

Samson, still mighty both in spirit and strength, for he was indeed chosen by God, was on his way to find another women.

And it so happened that one day he was sacrificing to the Lord, repenting of his sin, down in the valley of despondency.

Another tribe whose mistress was the beautiful Delilah, was also in the valley.

Admired for her wit, her beauty, and her charm, was she all over the land.

But Samson knew not of her prestige and immediately wished to take her for his own.

Upon laying eyes on this woman, he knew that she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

He wanted her.

And this, this, was the beginning of his sweetest downfall.

Swooning her with sweet words, he won her heart.

And the two fell into sin.

For little did Samson know that her tribe was the Philistines.

And little did he know that this tribe was plotting his downfall.

Samson had fallen madly in love upon instantly laying eyes upon Delilah.

Delilah on the other hand, had slowly fallen in love with Samson.

And so she was stuck.

For her tribe had oblidged her to use her wit, her intelligence, to woo Samson, to find his weakness, and to take him down.

However, the more time Delilah spent with Samson, the harder this became.

The struggle began between her conscience and her heart.

On one hand, she was loyal to her Philistine tribe, for it was with them she was raised, with them she learned, she grew.

But on the other hand, she slowly was falling for Samson, convinced now that he was the love of her life.

What was she to do?

Well, one night, after Samson and Delilah were married, the two sat prattling.

Their voices low and their whispers soft, like the rumbling waves of the soft sea at night.

“Samson, from where does your strength come?”

The words slipped from her tongue and the guilt crept in.

For Samson trusted her, and she knew it.

However there was no turning back.

“My strength, beautiful Delilah, why, I don’t know from where it comes!”

“But, lovely Samson, you must know. For you are the strongest in all the land. Don’t be afraid to tell me, for I can keep your secret. Dost thou not trust me?”

“I trust thee. But I can, in all decency, say that I do not know.”

Delilah began to grow disheartened.

For the more she had to question, the more her guilt crept in.

However, she kept inquiring her husband, suppressing what she knew was wrong.

“Samson, you must think. When you are in battle, what is it that could stop you? For none know, and I long to discover what it is that could stop you.”

Samson thought for a moment, and responded with what he felt was a fitting answer.

“My beautiful Delilah, I am sure that if you tied me up with the tightest ropes, I would be unable to escape. Bound my hands and feet and I will no longer be able to conquer anyone.”

Delilah thought about what he said and plotted in her heart.

And so late that night, while Samson was asleep, she edged into his room with the tightest ropes she could find.

She bound his hands, she bound his feet, then she kissed him on the head before slipping back out.

She walked out into the night with the feeling of remorse creeping up her spine.

The guilt, like spiders, crept through her bones.

Shaking, she sat down and covered her face, unable to face what she had done.

And when she looked up, the Philistines were approaching.

“Samson, Samson!” She yelped, “The Philistines are upon you!”

Thinking to herself, it was the least she could do.

Immediately, Samson lept up, breaking off all of the ropes and slaughtering all of the Philistines who had entered his tent.

Delilah could not help but be gladdened, for although she was loyal to her people, she indeed loved Samson.

However, that day when Delilah was in the town gathering grain for her animals, two Philistine guards approached her.

“We will each give you ten thousand pieces of silver if only you find Samson’s weakness. You have failed us once, do not fail us again.”

And with that, they were off, leaving Delilah on her own.

Later that day, Delilah again approached Samson.

“Samson, do you not trust me? Why did you lie to me? The Philistines came and you broke through the ropes that you said could bind you.”

Samson, thought of all that he could that would take away his strength, for he was blinded and could not see what Delilah was doing.

Immediately, he remembered the instruction that the angel of God had told his mother, for he had heard it so many times;

“Neigh should you take the scissors to his head…”

“Surely, if you cut my hair, my strength will be no more.” He said to Delilah.

And so in her heart, Delilah planned to take a razor to his head.

So it happened, late that night, Samson had gone to bed.

The sly woman creeped into his room and began to shave his head.

All of his hair fell to the ground like snow fluttering in the cold wintry wind.

Delilah stepped back and looked at what she had done.

This glorious man, his hair his pride, gone.

And immediately she felt sorrow.

Yet even before she could leave the tent, the Philistines came shoving in.

Immediately waking up, Samson noticed his hair upon the ground.

He tried with all his might to raise himself up and fight, but God had left him.

The Philistines seized him, dragging him out of his bed and slamming him into the dirt.

He called out for the Lord to save him, but there was no answer.

His eyes were gouged out and he was beaten severely.

And as he took his last breath, Delilah looked upon him with unimaginable pain.

She could not live knowing that the downfall of this wonderful man was all because of her.

No amount of silver would be able to make up for the deep regret, sorrow, and pain she felt.

And so she took the knife that was used to kill her husband, and slit her throat.

© 2010 mariah


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on October 8, 2010
Last Updated on October 8, 2010

Author

mariah
mariah

NC



About
mariah; seventeen. easily inspired. favorite thing hands down is the rain. favorite things hands up are the stars. i like reviews. if you look at something i wrote, leave your comments and i'll .. more..

Writing
Untitled. Untitled.

A Book by mariah


Finn Finn

A Story by mariah