The Christmas Tail

The Christmas Tail

A Story by Mark Thomas
"

A lovely story of Christmas and family. Or is it.

"

‘Twas the night before Christmas and all things considered, he could have done without the hassle. The factory was its customary visual assault of tinsel, decorations and uprooted spruce. He sighed, put on a festive face and pushed the door and entered the workshop. Standing with hands on expansive hips he surveyed the busy scene.


Piles of presents stretched as far as his eyes could see. Figures scurried thisaway and thataway; lost in purpose, almost too busy to notice the boss was on the floor. He hated this bit �" he took a deep breath.


‘Ho Ho Ho!’ he boomed.


The pace slowed slightly as heads turned to look at him �" some acknowledged his presence with a wave or a nod but carried on after a moment. One stopped, turned and raised a hand in greeting then came over.


‘Evening boss, timing is impeccable as always!’ The old elf noted with an appreciative grin. ‘Ready for the off?’


‘Ready as I will ever be. This doesn’t get any easier you know.’ Santa cricked his neck side to side and shook his arms like a boxer warming up for a prize fight.


‘There is one small problem Sir...’


‘hmm?’ He was only paying partial attention.


‘It’s Rudolph. He’s gone and sprained his ankle and I, er, don’t think he’ll be up to the trip guv.’ This jolted the jolly red chap from his pre-delivery reverie.


‘What? Don’t be so bloody daft man. We’ve been doing this for hundreds of years and he has never failed to lead the team!’ He stopped; a strange look came over his face. ‘Actually there was that time in sixty three but we are contractually obliged not to mention that’


‘Regardless Sir I don’t think it’s wise to have him lead this evening. May I suggest Blitzen. Very good runner when pushed Sir!’


He stared down at the elf who took a small step back, visibly wilting under the gaze.


‘Very well, get them ready. It’s Blitzen to lead then.’ He boomed.


‘Right you are Boss!’ The elf jumped to attention and shot off out the door towards the stables hat bell jingling madly. He could hear the deer arguing among themselves; impatient buggers.



He walked back across the yard to the cozy snow covered cottage where Mrs. Christmas was preparing supper. She jumped as he banged the door open; snow swirled around his feet as he stepped inside. He stomped to remove the snow caked to his boots.


'I thought you would have been off by now?' She asked. ‘What’s up dear?’


‘Oh, nothing really my love, it’s just I’m going to be shortdeered tonight. Rudolph’s not coming out for the run, injured ankle or some such.’ Mrs. Christmas looked sympathetic.


‘Never mind Nicholas, I hear Blitzen is a good runner. When pushed that is.’


‘Yes, that he is, but I don’t like leaving a deer behind on the busiest night of the year.’ He sighed and walked over the coat peg and pulled down a huge red coat, a red hat and furry gloves so big that it looked like he had despoiled a pair of rabbits. He dressed silently and when complete crossed the kitchen and gave Mrs. Christmas a peck on the cheek.


‘I’ll be off then.’ He said turning and walking to the door.


‘Ok dear. Be careful and please remember sixty three. The sherry is just there for show. Ok?’ He paused, appeared to think about something for a second then shrugged and walked out into the harsh night. The front door slammed shaking loose soot down the chimney.


Mrs. Christmas watched her husband walk up the road to the waiting team of reindeer and shook her head. She took off her apron, glanced at the clock on the wall. Walking to the back of the kitchen she stops to gaze in the mirror and primps her hair and adjusts her bosom. There is a quiet knocking on the door; she walks over, pauses for a moment, and then opens it. Her face lights up with a smile and a faint red glow. Rudolph winks.


© 2014 Mark Thomas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on May 13, 2014
Last Updated on May 13, 2014
Tags: Christmas, humour, funny, story, short

Author

Mark Thomas
Mark Thomas

Waterlooville, Hampshire, United Kingdom



About
I've been writing on and off for years, and would really like to progress further. Having tried several times, unsuccessfully, to start and complete and novel I think it's time I knuckled down and .. more..

Writing
Stormy Stormy

A Poem by Mark Thomas