Wal-Mart Hunt

Wal-Mart Hunt

A Story by Monty.
"

first short story. i think...

"

 

Walmart Hunt
 
Trying to escape the cold wind of winter; ducking into the heat blower of a Wal-mart automatic door, only to swerve from being hit by a cart making its way out to the cold of the parking lot with endless rows of cars lit up only by the dulled street lamps.
Walking aimlessly through the rows of wilting potted plants, my heart aching at how fragile they are and uncared for. Their very roots crying out for some form of a knowing green thumb to make their delicate blooms reappear again & to chase away the deadness of their poor leaves.
 
Taking a different route through the garden tools & mosquito repellent, to appear into the pet section of fish wondering why the small children rap on their lonely glass homes only to stare and giggle at the startled actions of their small fins. While some fish are kept in small plastic containers because they’re little hearty beasts, all except for the one sad one who wasn’t taken home soon enough to be spared of a death in a plastic cup waiting for some change…even the small tap of child to break its monotonous life.
Wandering away before making another instantaneous decision of buying one to add to my household of five similar, saved plastic cup fish, to stare at bags of dog food, picking which brand I’d use if I could be allowed to have a dog.
 
Walking away from the cans of rich cat food and stuffed mice into the bright & shiny tool section, my fingers glide over the hammer heads and screw driver bits understanding a small part of why men celebrate tools yearly & football only during the season.
 
Glancing about at the empty aisle and hearing a crash of spilling things from the aisle over, peaking over & seeing a clerk trying his best to shrug off all the time it took in putting it all away. Giggling and throwing a smile of understanding his way as I go the far back looking through boxes of air beds for no particular reason but to judge which is better & which ones the company needs to throw out.
 
Takes a chance of sliding through the empty toy section on my wet & squeaky sneakers,  only to find a few children looking over boxes of some screaming pink object and Tonka trucks as if debating whether it would be worth putting up a good argument to mom for, or to wait patiently until coming Christmas. A little boy grabbing a truck and running back towards wherever his mother happen to be with a wide grin and shriek of joy in finding such a thing. I make my way towards the electronics, looking around for something to catch my interest, skimming through the new releases and spotting a copy of Casablanca, immediately thinking of a great night with a classic movie and of course some delicious ice cream. Checking the change in my pocket, miserably putting it back hoping that someone else gets the same idea on a night like tonight.
 
Finally working my way through to the fabric aisles and art/crafts all shelved neatly, wondering if I could get away with stuffing a small bottle of ink in one of my baggy pockets. Deciding against it and letting it join the other bottles, while moving over to some packets of incense smelling the different, strong smells, wondering why it doesn’t give off such a smell after burning it. Feeling the coolness of the glasses, all looking as if they just might fall over the metal edge of they’re shelves. Walking briskly through the sections of clothes a little put out that I must be the only tomboy dressed in camo cargo’s and dark green tee with the Navy’s medical insignia, with torn shoes within a ten mile radius. But ignoring the distaste of girls in short skirts and tee’s that barely qualified as any such thing but a piece of thin cloth and smiling, laughing inwardly at the scowls, knowing all too well at what just might be crossing their minds.
 
Cruising through the row of over sugared candy & picking up a perfectly huge block of Hershey’s Symphony bar with almonds and struggles through a group of mothers with crying children; diving into a corner as someone makes their way past with an armful of milk and cereal boxes, preparing for a Saturday morning of early, old cartoons and that one bowl of cereal that turns into a day of nothing but cereal & cartoons.
 
Standing in a line counting my change from a previous purchase, realizing I am a dollar short, smiles and makes as if I simply left the chocolate bar on a counter of misc. things from many other line waiters. Turning and makes my way back to the garden section, with one last look about, walks out into the cold windy night, waiting til I’m clear of the parking lot to take out the half of the bar I made off with. Peeling off the wrapper and munching happily on the sweet milk chocolate and slight crunch almonds mix, giggling at my small prize of a Wal-mart mystery hunt.

© 2008 Monty.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Excellent work, very descriptive, I love how you described the beta fish. I could trace your journey in my minds eyes from the time you entered to the time you left. Great exercise.

JS

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Added on August 29, 2008

Author

Monty.
Monty.

Toledo, Samoa



About
I'm a writer & a very green one at that. I almost feel like I'm admitting to something I've done wrong haha... but I write because it's a need for me, like needing to breathe I need to write. My imagi.. more..

Writing
Iced Tequila Iced Tequila

A Chapter by Monty.


Petals Petals

A Poem by Monty.