Scars

Scars

A Poem by Mitch
"

You can't get through life without some scars. These are mine.

"

The scar on my knee I got when my mother pulled me out of the seat of a shopping cart and scraped my knee on part of the metal.  I don’t remember it hurting, but I bet it bled a lot.  Most shopping carts are plastic now.


The scar on my palm I got when I was about five, I had cut it on a toy of mine late at night.  I don’t remember the toy.  All I really remember was being at the hospital strapped to a bed and I couldn’t move; screaming to be let out.  Those were the only stitches I ever got; two.


The scar on my wrist I got when I was jumping on a trampoline when I was about eight.  It didn’t hurt.

When my friend saw it he went screaming for his mother that I was bleeding.  I thought he was over reacting.


The scar on my mind I got when he would blow up for no reason.  It wasn’t too long before I wouldn’t ask for anything and go to great lengths to make sure there was no problem.  The scar got bigger as I would lie to stay out of trouble.  I still lie today, but not as much.


The scar on my heart I got when she called me out of the blue and said it was over.  I had been planning to break up anyway, but it was going to be me who did it.  She left me for him.  It took a while, but that scar healed ok.


The scar on my worth I got when they fired me.  I know I wasn’t doing that good anyway; I knew that. But to be looking for an excuse to get rid of me instead of just saying so was lame.  That scar still bleeds a little when I pick at it.


There are other people who have bigger scars than me.  Others only have one or two, but these are mine.


© 2016 Mitch


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yeah, we all have them that's for sure and I like that you touched on both physical and emotional and shared some events that feel very real.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mitch

7 Years Ago

It's always the emotional stuff that takes more time to heal. Thanks for the read and review.
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

Cannot disagree. You're welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 31, 2016
Last Updated on August 31, 2016
Tags: scars, real life, poetry

Author

Mitch
Mitch

AL



About
I've been in performing arts for about 20 years and work with students who are just starting out in order to find their own talents. I've recently begun writing in order to expand my own horizons. I.. more..

Writing