Hope Grows in Brooklyn: for Bernie Sanders

Hope Grows in Brooklyn: for Bernie Sanders

A Story by MJ

Nestled between two rustic Williamsburg duplex condos is the Larry Lawrence bar, or known to most locals, simply as Larry’s. Hidden at the end of the street with no sign of vivacity, Larry’s will give the unattentive passersby the impression of an abandoned building. Nonetheless, underneath the grime accumulating on its rustic windows lies the political predilection of its patrons; a Bernie Sanders sign is displayed which reads, “Stop the Corruption” and a marked out Hillary Clinton poster that reads “No More Wall Street Sellouts.”


Johnny Brooks, a Bernie Sanders supporter and manager at Larry’s was pragmatic about his choice for the democratic nominee. “A lot of us know he won’t win at this point �" the system is set up for that �" but his message is just way too important to silence it now.”


“We finally have someone that’s fighting for the people, not for themselves,” Brooks said, echoing a sentiment catching on among many young Democrats.


Williamsburg has been one of the friendlier places for Sanders, the Brooklyn native and proclaimed democratic socialist that has been the surprise and fierce competitor to the Hillary Clinton machine. Having won the last eight out of the nine primary contests, it is clear that Bernie has hit a real nerve with many Americans.


And Brooklyn is by far one of his biggest cheerleaders.


“We get a few Hillary supporters now and then,” Tom, a bartender at Larry’s said. “But even her supporters appreciate Bernie.”


With the April 18 New York primaries looming around the corner, Larry’s bar has been one of many establishments in Brooklyn not afraid to voice their support for the 74-year-old democratic presidential candidate.


Sitting at a high wooden stool in the dimly lit bar drinking her tapped beer is 22-year-old Columbia graduate Alexa Povomatti �" a regular at Larry’s and a fervent Bernie Sanders supporter.


“I always come here and hand out Bernie flyers and posters to inform people,” Povomatti said. “You’ll be surprised how many people aren’t really involved in politics, and even more that aren’t registered to vote.”

Many that walk into Larry’s appear to be from the younger generation who are highly receptive and eager to discuss the politics surrounding Bernie Sanders. With various high-fives and loud cheers of “Feel the Bern!” during the weekday Happy Hours, several of Larry’s customers are hopeful that he still has a chance at winning the election.


“It’s just refreshing to have a candidate that a lot of people my age support,” Povomatti said. “It’s nice that there’s almost this synonymous consensus of recognition that Bernie Sanders has set a moral standard to the political system.”


According to the latest FiveThirtyEight study, Sanders would need 60 percent of the total

remaining votes to overtake Clinton in popular votes. A number of Bernie Supporters believe a surprise win for him in the New York primary would be the turning point in the democratic election. With five days remaining, Clinton is currently polling at 55 percent and Sanders at 41 percent.


As Povomatti is finishing up her drink, a tall man no older than his mid-twenties takes a shot of something and yells “Trump all the way baby, make America great again!” before running out of the two swinging doors.


“There’s a first.” Povomatti said smiling. “That was funny.” 

© 2016 MJ


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on August 24, 2016
Last Updated on August 24, 2016

Author