Last Night

Last Night

A Story by Mayur Sadhu
"

Just yesterday, got a feeling that something was happening inside the Earth, deep in the night.

"

The clock ticked past 11:45 pm in its own motion which is enough to make mortals realize the value of time. It waits for none. The sky was filled with catacombs of clouds, prolifically carved out in ferocious heavenly structures awaiting a battle. Though the evening showed a crescent moon, but the clouds, had kidnapped the sole night lamp showing signs of leverage through drizzles, but it was the self-defense of the moon that made it visible through their own fabric stitches. The smooth, cold winds pierced into my room through the partly-opened louvered windows, which I purposely left it open, to relish in lower temperatures in the summer nights. The cries of owl and street dogs, which used to give a zombastic feeling in no moon nights, were absent giving a silent environment, apt for a heart-broken lover to cry into, but still the eerie silence was able to make out a fearful environment.

I could hear the slow, faint movements of the clock, but I was too engrossed in the Immortals of Meluha to let my grey matter brood over such natural-yet-unnatural omens. Instead, my encephalon was busy knowing the magical, mythological, special powers of Somras, the drink of Gods. Somras was able to extend the length of mortals' life, by reacting with oxidants in our body, thus preventing erosion of our organs.

"Reacting with oxidants! Well, that means it is a reducing agents", I paused in my thoughts for a moment, and again continued, "and reducing agents are citrus fruits. That means they help attaining immortality."

I was surprised with my own thoughts. I kept the book down, to brood over the idea. It was an idea worth thinking.

"... I must not be the only one to think such. Many scientists must have gone through this bestseller and this idea.", I concluded, after a minute.

I was deep in my thoughts, but it was my eyes that were drooling with sleep, urging my mortal body to have a good sleep with the cold winds.

My eyelids have just started their erotic romance, caressing the eyes, and trying hard to kiss each other, but I somehow kept them under control. The erosion of my body, for the exhaustive sessions in college has started its aftermath, catalyzed by the fluffy, white bed. I was the lieutenant of my eyes, but with time, I was losing my control.

My eyelids have just started kissing each other, when out of nowhere in the silent environment, when I felt a sudden tremble in my bed. For a moment, I thought, it was my for my over thinking, that created out this tremble, but the sudden disturbance was moving up the dynamic scale. It wasn't my imagination. I could see the quiet water level in the bottle kept on the table away from my bed, getting disturbed with the disturbance. Something was happening. May be an earthquake. What! I could feel a sense of trepidation creeping within my body. I could feel my heartbeats pushing hard against my ribcage. But before something could happen, the dynamic seismism went down, and everything was back to normal. It lasted for a mere five seconds, but I live in a non-seismic zone.

I timidly went out of my room to gaze at the aftermath of the earthquake, but everything was still. Rain, as usual, trickled down the heavens, the clouds haven't yet set off for the war, the coconut tress dancing to the tunes of the cold winds, the old buildings standing upright unaffected by the sudden miniature earthquake.

I came back to my room with my sleep, a bit relieved for not having any consequence of the natural calamity, and instead of darkening my room; I lit a small night bulb, before setting myself in the journey to my dreamland.

© 2013 Mayur Sadhu


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A jewel. The flow of the story is as languid and passive as the night you spent. It brings the reader into your door to see you startled by the suggestion of a quake on the passions of life. I suppose it isn't always a quake ... there are termites and then there's the way life renews itself with a jolt of realization.

A wonderful presentation of an esoteric experience brought to the tissues of our modern experience. A quality write. Well done Mayur ... keep it up.


Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
1 Review
Added on August 7, 2013
Last Updated on August 7, 2013
Tags: earthquake, true event

Author

Mayur Sadhu
Mayur Sadhu

Burdwan, Hinduism, India



About
Myself Mayur Sadhu, more likely Mayur aka Rimo, as my friends prefer to call me. By profession I am no one, but by a person I am an engineering student. Love today like you will die tomorrow... more..

Writing
Fail Story Fail Story

A Story by Mayur Sadhu


Rain Rain

A Story by Mayur Sadhu