Broken Vows

Broken Vows

A Story by Maya Fadly
"

Most of friendships come to an end. This friendship is one of them.

"
"Eric, come on. Say 'hi' to your new neighbor." But Eric was too shy and hid behind his mother's body. He just stared at the woman and the boy who was at his age. Eric's mother laughed to see her little boy acted like that.

"Come on, Eric. Ask your new friend to play. You boys can go play in your room while I talk to Mrs. Fanning." She said. Eric seemed not so sure about that but then he ran upstairs to his room and his new friend followed him. Once they got in Eric's bedroom, Eric grabbed his cat doll and held it tight, afraid that this boy would take it away from him.

"I like your doll. I don't play with dolls, it would be weird. But I like you kitty cat doll. I like cats," he paused, "But my favorite toy is this!!" Then he rolled his firefighter truck toy on the floor and he imitated firefighter truck siren. Erik loosened his grip and sat in front of his friend.

"What's your name?" asked Eric softly. The boy turned his face to Eric and smiled widely. 

"It's Dalton." answered Dalton with confidence. "Hey... what do you want to be when you're grown up?" asked Dalton, but there was no answer from Eric, so, he continued, "I wanna be a firefighter! Because firefighter is a hero, and a hero will help a lot of people." He smiled again to Eric.

Eric hesitatingly replied, "then... I-I will help you out! I'm not strong, but I can help you carry the hose... And I will cheer you when you're fighting the fire!" said Eric innocently. Dalton seemed a bit dazed but then he nodded. 

"We'll help each other. Promise?" he held up his pinky. Eric nodded and gave Dalton the pinky promise.


Several years had past. Eric was waiting for Dalton outside Dalton's house and sometimes he would check his watch and mumbling. Dalton came out with a slice of toast in his mouth. 

"Relax, Eric. Our school is close to our, it only takes ten minutes to get there." said Dalton while tying his shoestrings. Eric put his hand on his hips.

"Oh, I see... You did your homework. So, I guess you don't need to copy mine. Well, you're right! we could relax a bit." but then Dalton hurriedly stood up and smirked. 

"Okay, let's go! We should hurry! And... please, lend me your homework." And then they went to school.


The school was over. Dalton had been looking for Eric since a half hour ago but he couldn't find him. Eric promised that he would help Dalton in Chemistry and Math. But... Where was Eric? Finally, Dalton found Eric was sitting on a bench near the parking lot in their school. He looked sad and there was a wound on the corner of his lips and dry blood from his nose. Dalton ran to him, but before he could say something to Eric, Eric spoke and bitter smiled.

"I'm okay, Dalton. I've been numb. Their punches didn't hurt me much..." he said. "Is it wrong if a man is not manly? Is it my fault if I'm not strong? Why do they see me as a bother?"

Dalton just shook his head, he knew there's nothing wrong with Eric, but he couldn't get the right answer in his mind.

"Come on, buddy. Maybe you're not a strong one, but sure you are a man! You told me that you have a crush on a girl in our school, right?" Eric smiled to hear this from Dalton. "Don't worry about what they say, I know you are strong inside." Dalton patted on Eric's back.

"But I'm worried about you, Dalton. They thought that you're a gay because you're my only friend." said Eric to Dalton. Dalton was a bit startled, he cleared his throat for a second and then replied,

"Nah... I'll be fine. Hey, tell me more about the girl, will ya? So, who is it?" asked Dalton. Eric chuckled. He was still shy to talk about this even to his bestfriend.

"It's Sheila. Sheila Crawford" Eric whispered, his face turned red. While Dalton was silent for a second then he was glad to hear that. 

"Wow! Excellent choice, Eric! She is just like you, smart! And cute too..." he patted Eric's back tougher, "so, have you confess to her yet?" Dalton asked in excitement. But Eric's face turned down and he nodded.

"Yeah... She said, I'm not her type. Her type is someone that... manly." then he rubbed his desperate face. Dalton was shocked to hear that. He felt sorry for his friend. He tried his best to cheer him up.

"Don't regret it, Eric. You learned something about her, right? That she is a total b***h! Ha ha ha! But, seriously... don't let her change who you really are." Eric smiled widely. And after that, they went home in silence.


A few days later, Dalton and Eric were goofing around in their class until a girl approached them. She told Dalton there was someone waiting for him outside the class. So Dalton went out of the class. After several minutes, Dalton came back to the class. Eric couldn't help his curiousity.

"Who was it?" he asked. Dalton replied with his cool style. "It's Sheila. She wanted to borrow English Book and she asked about my sister. Apparently she knew my sister." he said without looking to Eric. And then Eric sighed.

"What is it?" asked Dalton to Eric. 

"I think I want to try it once again. You know... tell Sheila that I like her." said Eric with confidence. But Dalton didn't seemed so sure about that.

"Are you sure?" he asked. And Eric nodded solemnly. "Yeah, and this will be the last time. If I failed, then I give up. What do you think?" he asked Dalton. Dalton was a little startled but then he smiled.

"Go for it."


The sky was grey, it sure would rain in no time. But Dalton had to wait for Eric. Eric was in his mission to talk to Sheila Crawford. Eric told Dalton to wait so if he came out in despair, Dalton could cheer him up. But it seemed that Dalton was uneasy.

And finally Eric showed up. He was okay. At least, he looked like one. But it made the whole situation so odd. Did Sheila accept his confession? It was very uneasy moment in Dalton's life. 

Eric stopped right when the rain started to fall. He was mumbling something that Dalton could not understand.

"What?" asked Dalton.

"Why... you didn't tell me that... she likes you?" asked Eric almost like whispering.

"What-what are you talking about?" Dalton started to freak out. Eric looked at him and bitter smiled. "She said, she told you that when she came to our class. But you ignored her... You didn't accept her, but you also didn't reject her, did you?" he asked Dalton but he couldn't say any words.

"You like her too, don't you?" asked Eric but then again, no replies from Dalton. He was just silent. "You promised me... I hold your words! Why didn't you just tell me? Do you feel sorry for me?!" he yelled at his bestfriend as the lighting strucked the sky. And the sky poured its heavy rain.

"I know I'm not strong and tough enough to fight, I know that I am weak, I know I am too feminine for a boy while you are so brave, tough, handsome, cool, strong, and girls like you a lot. But I don't need your pity!" Then suddenly his breath became heavier. He grabbed his chest and his face showing pain. Dalton knew something was wrong with Eric's condition. 

"Answer me, you brat!" yelled Eric once again while his hand was still on his chest. 

"Eric... come on. Let me help you, you're in pain." said Dalton tried to calm his friend. But Eric refused him. "Why didn't you tell me, Dalton?! You promised! Why? why?  why? WHY?!" and then Dalton could feel hot blood inside of his brain.

"SHUT UP!" he yelled to Eric so loud and suddenly Eric collapsed and his body was shaking tremendously. Dalton held him and screamed in panic.

"Eric! Stay with me! Stay with me! Oh, God! Help! Somebody!" He tried to call for help but the rain was so heavy there was almost nothing you could hear except the rain. Then Dalton couldn't feel any movement on his hand, he looked at Eric. He was so pale. Dalton could feel something in his heart, fear.


It was summer, and the rain started to fall. Dalton walked by himself on the street looking down to the path. He walked so slowly even if the rain fell and the wind was so cold.




"Mrs. Oliver! Mrs. Oliver! Help Eric! He's in pain!" Dalton dashed to the kitchen and pulled Eric's mother's hand.





"Dalton, honey, Eric's heart is weak, so, be nice with him, okay? Don't startle him too much..." said his mother to him.





The sky was still pouring the rain. Some elementary student were running from the rain but Dalton still walked so slowly.




"Eric? What's wrong? Why are you crying?" asked Dalton tried to cheer him up. Eric wiped away his tears and he tried to catch his breath.

"Some kids made fun of me. They said I'm a little girl because I was carrying my cat doll. And one of them shoved me." then he shed his tears again.

Dalton patted Eric's back and said, "Don't worry, buddy! I'm not scared of them! I promise. I will beat every kid who tries to make fun of you!"





Dalton stopped in the pouring rain and whispered, "but I never did."





"Dalton? Where are you? You gotta help me out, those kids are waiting outside my house!" Eric was panic on the telephone. "Sorry, Eric. But it's Thanksgiving! My realtives are here, so, I really can't. Sorry..." then Dalton hung up the phone.





"Hey, Dalton... You will help me to get Sheila, won't you?" asked Eric in excitement while Dalton just grinned. "If you're willing to help me out, then you have to promise me... if you liked her too, you have to tell me." Dalton almost spurted his drink.

"Why do I have to?" asked Dalton, astonished. Eric chuckled and said, "You know... she is quite popular here,so... if you liked her too, we could compete fairly. Well, even though I know I will lose." 

Dalton put his book in his bag, "Well, I don't like her, so, don't worry." But Eric wasn't satisfied. "No! You have to promise, if you liked her, you have to tell me!"

"Promise."





"I even lied to you. Worse, I looked down on you." Dalton arrived at his home and went to his room. He threw his body on his bed and wiped water on his face. He got up and grabbed his old firefigther truck. And he held it up high in front of his face. Tears streamed down to his cheeks and chin.

"I am no hero. I even didn't... didn't try to be one... I..."


"Sorry..." 

© 2014 Maya Fadly


Author's Note

Maya Fadly
I'm not sure I portray it good.. but here it is. Please let me know if you like it or maybe if you don't like it

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very riviting scene you've painted here. I like what you've created but I would suggest letting the reader know in a bit more clear way, which parts are flash back and which parts are real time. I think also that the ending when dalton is on his bed, a bit more about what he's thinking and feeling. Just using his verbal words by themselves leaves it a bit vague.
Overall, I think the idea is powerful and strong. It comes across much like a dramatic anime might, with the attention to background description of the rain and thunder.

Thanks for sharing!
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 1, 2014
Last Updated on June 2, 2014
Tags: short story, life, friendship

Author

Maya Fadly
Maya Fadly

Bandung, Indonesia



Writing
Black Bird Black Bird

A Story by Maya Fadly