Hide & Seek

Hide & Seek

A Story by Maya Trachtenberg

 

We play a game of cat and mouse. The way we did so long ago, when the world was simple and only built of primary colors. The pink on my dress, the brown in your hair and the sparkle in our eyes.
 
You still run ahead, farther and further than I wish to tread. You turn and look back at me, knowing I’ll catch up eventually, yet too impatient to wait. Eventually, the Earth will force you to, and when you get caught by a rose thorn or a shoe lace comes untied you’ll still be too proud to take my hand.
 
I was destined to forever run behind you, only a small shadow of all the glory you held. It was my heart that got shattered underneath the feet of thousands of angry girls, while you protected yours in a glass case of indifference.
 
I know you care about me in the way your eyes catch mine and your chair tips too close. I wish we shared more than secret smiles held in the seconds when everyone else is too preoccupied to notice. Someday, you say, we will be together. But until then you’re too caught up in the new and exciting world of Chelseas and Brittanys to shower a plain and dowdy Me.
 
And if that’s the case I’m willing to stay. Because when you get over yourself, and everybody else, I’ll still be here. Waiting for you the way you never waited for me.

© 2008 Maya Trachtenberg


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on March 8, 2008
Last Updated on March 9, 2008

Author

Maya Trachtenberg
Maya Trachtenberg

PDX



About
I have a constant narrative going on in my head....occasionally I write it down. more..

Writing