Embrace

Embrace

A Story by The Scholar
"

-up and edited- Random story-piece, not connected to anything else. Just written using characters I've created.

"

He brushed a wandering strand of hair out of her face.

“I love you, Rhye.”

“I know,” she said, smiling, “I really do know.”

He bent down and kissed that smile as if it was the last thing he would ever do. As if her kiss was necessary to sustain him, and his life depended upon it. As if the second he stopped, he would never breathe again. He kissed that beautiful smile with everything he had.

She smelt of flowers. It was a fresh scent, crisp and clean, like the smell of the world after the rain. And her skin, the touch of it unfamiliar to his indelicate hands, was remarkably soft. In war, nothing was soft. There were no tender caresses, no subtle breezes, no halcyon moments when the paracosmic fantasies of youth decorated the mind. Each touch was a raw grasp for reality, each breeze a violent windstorm, and each moment plagued with languid thoughts of the next.


He buried his head into her shoulder. In battle, men buried themselves into the earth. The earth was soft to them. It was their comfort. They clung to it as their comrades died--even as they themselves died--and they breathed it in as if it would give them life.

She gave him life, filled him with it, and he embraced it.

© 2012 The Scholar


Author's Note

The Scholar
Took me hours to get this to a point where I kinda, sorta like it.
You can only imagine how long it takes me to write entire chapters...

All critiques, comments, questions, and inspirations appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so touching!!!!!!!

I have fallen in love with your artwork in this poem and hoe detailed you described your characters. I love this piece and hope that you make things similar to it.

I really admire your work man!!!! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


COOLIO! (that means cool) I love the imagery! And you used the world halcyon, one of my favourite words. Did you know that aside from being a synonym of tranquil, it is also a mythical bird that is said to calm the ocean waves? Cool, right?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautiful.

It's nice to know I'm not alone with the random pieces of occasional story pieces.
I only wish I knew the beginning...

YT,

Summer D.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 6, 2012
Last Updated on May 26, 2012
Tags: embrace

Author

The Scholar
The Scholar

Esco., CA



About
“We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are MEMBERS OF THE HUMAN RACE. And the human race is filled with PASSION. And medicine, law, business, engi.. more..

Writing