It Happened One Night

It Happened One Night

A Story by megaluv92
"

this is a short story i wrote for my writing class! if you would comment and tell me what you think, that would be awesome!

"

 

“Do you really want to go to the movies Friday?” Aden asked Bridget at lunch, in a voice that suggested that it was he who did not want to go.
            “Of course. I love doing things with you.” Bridget said right before her lips met his.
            From across the room, Alexis Barbour was watching the two of them. She was Aden’s best friend, but Bridget she wasn’t too fond of. It was Alexis who had liked Aden since the first grade, not Bridget. It was Alexis who had always been there for Aden, not Bridget. She felt completely betrayed. She knew that it would be best to tell Aden how she felt, but it was just too hard. Ever since they met at the Play-doh table, she had loved him. He shared the blue with her. Alexis had to painfully watch every girl that came into and went out of Aden’s life.
            “Alexis?” her best friend, Mallory, snapped her fingers in Alexis’ face to awaken her from a daydream about what life would be like if she were the one that Aden loved. Luckily, Alexis was the only one who could see the cheesy fantasy.
            “Yeah…what?” Alexis answered trying to forget about Bridget and Aden.
            “Just making sure you were still alive. You’re gonna have to get over him sometime. I mean, you have loved him since the first grade. Don’t you think it’s time to move on?” Mallory made it sound like getting over Aden was as easy as making instant pudding.
            “Mallory, I wasn’t even thinking about him.” Alexis lied unsuccessfully.
            “Yes you were. I can always tell. Your eyes light up and you smile funny. You should know by now that you can’t lie to me. Especially about that.” The worst part of the whole thing was that Mallory actually thought she was helping.
            “Come on, we need to go before we are late to chemistry. You know how Mr. Fullam gets when we’re late. And we can’t get detention. My mom already told me that if I get a detention that she’ll ground me for a month.” Alexis changed the subject abruptly.
            Mallory shot a we’ll-talk-about-this-later look at Alexis. They were on their way to chemistry when Alexis felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned her head around and Aden met her eyes.
            “Alexis, I need to talk to you.” It sounded serious. “It’s about Friday.”
            ‘Oh my god, Alexis! He’s gonna ask you out.” Alexis thought.
            “I’ll go on to Chem.” Mallory said like the great friend she was.
            “I asked Bridget out and I’m nervous. Sure, we’ve been ‘dating’ and all, but this is our first outing. I’m afraid that she’ll either think I’m moving too fast or too slow. I was just wondering what you thought I should do. ‘Cause you’re a girl.” Aden avoided eye contact with Alexis for a reason that was unknown to Alexis.
            “Glad you noticed.” Alexis joked.
            Aden didn’t laugh. “This is serious. Never mind. I knew I should have just asked Jesse.”
            “No…wait a second. I can be serious. I think you should just move at the pace that seems right to you. Don’t move at a pace that you think she wants you to move at.” Although Alexis wanted the two of them to break up, she didn’t want to be the cause of it.
            “You know what? That’s really good advice. I can’t wait ‘til Friday! Thank you so much Lexi!” She loved it when he called her that.
            “Well I hope you have a good time. And I hope I helped.” Alexis tried as hard as she could to muster a smile.
            “Aw, Lexi! You’re the best friend in the world! I love you!” Aden kissed her on the cheek and walked away with a spring in his step.
            “I love you too.” Alexis whispered. If only he knew how much she really did love him. Alexis looked around her. She was the only one left in the hallway. Even Aden had managed to make it to Chemistry on time.
            Alexis tried to sneak in without being seen, but failed.
            “Ms. Barbour, would you like to explain to the class why you were late?” Mr. Fullam asked.
            Alexis could feel her knees collapsing right out from under her. She knew that she would get detention for this. She also knew that her mom would not be thrilled to find out about that.
            “ I was j-j-just…” Alexis couldn’t even finish her sentence because she was so scared.
            “Mr. Fullam, it was my fault. I asked Alexis to run back downstairs and get my water bottle from lunch. I accidentally forgot it.” Aden said calmly.
            “Well, that sounds reasonable, but where is the bottle?” It was difficult to put anything past Mr. Fullam.
            “Right here.” Alexis said as she pulled out a water bottle that she was very thankful to have bought earlier that day.
            “Alright. I guess that makes sense. Take your seat, Alexis.” Mr. Fullam ordered.
            Alexis nodded and hurriedly sat down and smiled at Aden. He smiled back until Bridget distracted him. It was official: Alexis hated Bridget.
            When Alexis got home, she went straight to the computer and signed in. She immediately received an IM from Aden.
            Realsuperman90: hey, what’s up?
       Alexis got very excited because whenever Aden had a girlfriend he barely ever IM’d her.
       Lossforwords94: nothing. just thinking.
       Realsuperman90: about?
       Lossforwords94: idk…I guess just girl things.
       Realsuperman90: oh. well I didn’t mean to pry. just trying to help.
       Lossforwords94: no, I know. so what’s up with you?
       Realsuperman90: Bridget is getting on my nerves!
       ‘Oh sure, talk to me only when you’re having girl problems.’ Alexis thought.
            Lossforwords94: I’m sorry. can I help?
       Realsuperman90: nah, it’s my problem. sometimes I think that I should just give up on dating.
       Lossforwords94: I know how you feel.
       Realsuperman90: really? I thought you never had a boyfriend.
       ‘Just rub it in my face. Not my fault you don’t love me.’
            Lossforwords94: well I haven’t, but I should just stop trying. no guy likes me anyway.
       Realsuperman90: nah, you’re awesome. there is a guy out there for you.
       ‘Not you.’
            Realsuperman90: lexi, I gotta go. ttyl.
                Alexis shut down her computer slowly. Almost as if she were waiting for him to come back. But what was the use in staying on? Aden wasn’t going to get back on. What she really wanted to do was tell him how she felt about him.
            ‘Come on, Alexis. He’s going to find out eventually.’  That little voice in her head was always bothering her. She could never shut it up. The sad part was the little voice usually gave good advice.
            “Alexis! It’s dinner time! I fixed your favorite.” Her mother got into this cooking kick about a month ago. Alexis hated it because she never cooked anything that Alexis liked. Even her brother, Will, who ate everything, hated it when their mom attempted to whip up something out of a Rachael Ray book.
            Dinner went by slowly. Will told the usual stories of his glamorous life. How anyone could have a “glamorous” life at high school was a mystery to Alexis.
            Alexis started listening again right in the middle of Will’s story about his date to a party. “She’s beautiful, mom. Her name is Bridget and,”
            Alexis spit out her water and everyone looked at her. “Alexis, honey, that is no way to act at the dinner table.” Her mother scolded.
            “Sorry. It’s just that I thought Will said his date’s name was Bridget. Aden is dating a girl named Bridget. I assumed it was her.” Alexis explained. She knew that there was no way it could be the same girl. Bridget couldn’t do that.
            “What’s her last name?” Will was now a little upset. After all, Bridget isn’t the most common name.
            “McCarthy.” Alexis plainly stated it as if it were an answer on a game show.
            Now it was Will’s turn to spit out water. “Will! You and Alexis both know proper table manners. This is not the way to act! I will not tolerate this!” Their father was anticipating an apology.
            “Sorry.” Alexis and Will said in unison.
            Later that night, Will went to Alexis’ room. “Alexis, are you sure that it’s the same girl?” he asked her, hoping there was another Bridget McCarthy at Modella High.
            “Yes! What am I going to do? Don’t I have some sort of obligation as a friend to tell him?” Alexis really wanted the answer to be no.
            “Yeah, I guess you do. Why don’t you call him and tell him to meet you somewhere so that you can talk?” Will was actually good at giving advice. Alexis always thought that he would be a good psychologist.
            “I think I’ll do that. Thanks Will. You’re actually a good brother sometimes.” Alexis picked up the phone signaling that it was time for Will to leave.
            “Yeah yeah. I’m going.” He smiled a genuine smile for the first time in a while as he walked out of her room.
            Alexis was very nervous. She had only called Aden a few times. What was she going to say? How was she going to ask him to meet her somewhere without it sounding like a date?
            “Hello?” It was Aden’s voice. Why was she so surprised to hear it? She called him, didn’t she?
            “Hey, Aden. I need to talk to you about something, but I need to tell you in person. Could you meet me somewhere?
            “Sure. Tonight?”
            “Yeah. It’s really important. I would like it to be somewhere kind of private.” Man, this did sound like she wanted it to be a date.
            “How about that old drive-in. There is never anyone there.” Alexis was glad he suggested an eerie place. That would make it seem less date-ish.
            “That sounds good. I’ll see you in about half an hour?”
            “Yep. Bye.”
            Alexis hung up the phone. Was it sad that she was this excited about being alone with Aden? She had to tell him bad news and that should have calmed her down a little bit, but there was just something about being with him that made her happy.
            Thirty minutes later, Alexis was in the parking lot of the Modella Valley Drive-In. The sign was missing a few letters. It told her that she was in the parking of the Dead-In. ‘That’s comforting’ she thought. Just then, a red Oldsmobile pulled up. ‘Thank God.’
            Alexis got out of her car only to find that Aden was not alone. Bridget was in the passenger’s seat. ‘Great. How am I supposed to tell him his girlfriend is a s**t if she is here?’
            “Hey, Lexi. Bridget insisted on coming.” He half-smiled. Alexis could tell that he didn’t want her here either.
            “Well, that’s just because I would hate for something to happen to you. I love you too much.” Bridget kissed him.
            ‘If you love him so much, why are you going on a date with my brother?’
            “Bridg, can me and Lexi have some time alone to talk? I promise I will make it up to you later.” He looked like a sad little puppy dog. The way he always looked with her. Like he thought she was better than him.
            “You better.” Aden nodded and walked over toward Alexis. Her heart was beating so fast now that she thought for sure that her chest was going to explode. If he came too close, he could probably hear her heart. That made her more nervous.
            “Lexi, what did you need to talk to me about? I hope it’s important because Bridget isn’t too happy about me coming here.”
            “That’s what I need to talk to you about.” How was she going to do this? She swallowed, but the lump in her throat wouldn’t go away. “Bridget is cheating on you with my brother.”
            “No she isn’t. You’re lying.” This was going to be harder than she thought.
            “I am not. Will told me that he has a date with her tomorrow night.” Alexis knew that he still thought she was lying.
            Alexis saw Bridget coming up behind Aden. She saw something shiny in her hand, but couldn’t tell what it was. She screamed in horror when she saw it was a gun. Aden turned around to find a gun pointed at his head.
            “I can’t believe that you would tell him about Will. You stupid s**t! Aden, if you do what I tell you to do, I won’t kill you.” Bridget was breathing heavily and Alexis could tell that she was serious.
            “CALM DOWN!” Aden cried. Alexis couldn’t even believe that this was real. She was hoping that it was all just a horrible nightmare.
            “I am NOT going to calm down. This little girl thought she could break us up, but I’m not going to let that happen. We will be together forever.” Bridget tightened her grip on the shotgun. Alexis moved toward Aden in a motherly motion. She cautioned herself from getting to close because she was afraid that she might cause Bridget to fire.
            “Bridget, we can’t be together if you kill me.” Aden said this calmly like he was trying to talk somebody out of stealing something. Alexis didn’t understand how Aden could be so calm under these circumstances.
            “You think I am going to kill you? Do you not know me at all? I would never do that. The only way for us to be together is if I get her out of the picture.” Bridget was making less sense every second.
            “If you don’t want to kill me, then why is there a gun pointed to my head?” Aden was being so rational. ‘Only a man as great as him would be this calm.’  Alexis found herself pining for him even with the situation at hand. ‘What is wrong with me?’
            “Because it’s the only way that you will kill her.” Now she made sense. Alexis was sure that Aden wouldn’t kill her, though. They had been friends since the day they met in the sandbox. He couldn’t do that.
            “Well, just give me the gun and I will. I can’t kill her without a gun.” Aden said staying cool as a cucumber.
            “WHAT?! Aden you can’t DO this! We’re best friends!” Alexis couldn’t believe her ears. Did Aden actually say that he would kill her?
            “Alexis I’m sorry that it has to be this way.” Aden took the gun from Bridget’s hand, placed his finger on the trigger and shot.
            “ADEN!” Bridget screamed before she hit the ground.
            “I’m sorry, Bridget, but it had to be done. I couldn’t kill Lexi.” Aden looked back at Alexis who was unscathed.
            Bridget was cringing in pain. What were they going to do? Just leave her there? “Come on, Lexi. We have to get out of here.” Aden whispered.
            “Aden, we need to get help.” Alexis was scared and unlike Aden she was bad at hiding it.
            “Lexi, if we get help, the police will have me locked up for shooting her even though we both know it was self-defense.” Bridget’s body was no longer moving. “We have to go!”
            “Alexis followed Aden to the car and they drove away leaving Bridget’s body in the dust.
«        «        «        «        «        «        «        «        «        «        «        «        «     
           
            Two Months Later…
            “Lexi, I’m so glad that we are dating now. I never thought that you felt the same way I did.” Aden said as he joined Alexis on the couch for their usual Thursday night CSI Marathon.
            “Could you be any cheesier?” Alexis joked.
            “Yes I could.” Aden laughed. Alexis threw popcorn at him. “Now shut up, I like to hear the theme song.” Alexis rested her head on his chest.
            “Fine, but stop throwing popcorn at me.” Aden said as he threw a piece at her.
            “Stop it!” Alexis screamed. She jumped when she heard the front door open. “Mom, is that you?” Alexis yelled. There was no answer. “Mom?” Alexis got off the couch and went into the kitchen.
            “Oh my god.” Alexis said right before the knife went into her chest. She fell to the floor immediately.
            “Lexi? Are you okay in there?” Aden lifted himself up and went to the kitchen to find Bridget standing over Alexis’ body, drenched in blood.
            “Wake up, Aden.” He chanted to himself, but this was no dream.
            “I’m sorry, Aden, but it had to be done.” Bridget said as the knife came toward Aden. He blocked the knife from his chest and turned it around toward Bridget. He stabbed her in the heart and she fell.
            “Lexi! Lexi, wake up!” Aden was shaking her, trying to get her to open her eyes. Scrambling, he dialed 9-1-1. He didn’t care if he got blamed for killing her. All that mattered to him was getting Alexis help.
            When the police arrived, they saw Aden crouched down over Alexis. He was still trying to get her to wake up.
            “Is she alright?” Aden asked saying every word slowly.
            “No, son. She was pronounced dead at the scene.” The officer walked away, unaffected by Aden’s grief. He sat slowly on the curb and cried.
            “I can’t believe she’s gone.” Aden said. The only one who heard him say that was Alexis’ mother.
            “Well if it makes you feel any better, she wasn’t that great. I can’t believe you dated her.” Mrs. Barbour was not making sense to Aden and she could tell he was confused. “What? You think she was something great? Well I guess love is blind.”
            “How can you say that about your daughter?” Aden said, perplexed.
            “What are you talking about?” Her mother was just as confused as Aden now.
            “Alexis was a great girl. She’s gone now and you are talking about her like she was a horrible person.” Aden was mad. He never thought he would hear Mrs. Barbour talk about Alexis like that.
            “Aden, you are clearly confused. I was talking about Bridget. She is the one that died. Alexis is going to be okay. You thought I was talking about my own daughter like that? Crazy.” Mrs. Barbour smiled.
            “But the police officer said she pronounced dead.” Aden had no idea what was going on.
            “Bridget was.” Mrs. Barbour walked toward the ambulance and Aden saw Alexis being carried away on a stretcher. ‘What a night.’ He thought as he walked to his car and followed the ambulance to the hospital.
            He entered the emergency room and found Alexis in bed number three.
            “I’m sorry you got mixed up in all of this.” Aden apologized.
            “Don’t be. It’ll be a great plot for my book.” Alexis joked.
           

© 2009 megaluv92


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

No review? This was good! I really liked it, it was a nice fast story. It felt just a wee bit rushed, but I liked how everything was constantly twisting and turning. And I didn't like Bridget, so I guess I wasn't too awful sad about what happened...
Anyway, good job. You made the characters seem very real, and Aden seems like a sweet guy. Keep up the good work!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 9, 2009

Author

megaluv92
megaluv92

point place , WI



About
i love to write! that's why i am here. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by megaluv92