Bar

Bar

A Story by Mercedes Loveless

The dark bar buzzed with mummers of people talking to one another.  There was a few  sitting alone, sipping on whiskey. A group sitting in a corner, laughing and touching.  In the far back of the room, sat a man in a blue suit.  He was jotting his leg, and staring at nothing.  Occasionally he would drink from the clear glass in front of him, and glance at the door on the other side of the room.  He stood up, patting his hands on his clean black plants when a tall blonde in a reddish-purple  dress walked through the door.  

    She scanned the room, wiping around her lips and pulling down her skirt.  She stood for two more minutes before she caught a glimpse of the man waving from the opposite side of the room. She smiled as she started towards him, but her smile didn’t reach her eyes and it quickly faded when she watched her shoes stride towards him.  When she reached him, they hugged in a brief formal way, then turned to their designated seats across from each other.  They smiled politely, and nodding greetings. Him mocking her unsure movements, until he rested his hands on the small table between them and looking down at the ice left in his glass.

    They sat for a brief time, before she lightly tapped his arm, removing it when he looked back up at her. She started by speaking quietly, tilting her head at times and making very little hand gestures.  She kept herself straight, with her hands folded in her lap, her left leg crossed over her right.  She would pause to brush a strand of stray hair behind her diamond earrings.  All the while, the man bites down on his bottom lip, swapping his gaze from her sincere blue eyes, to his shined shoes, to the couple across the room, and back again.

    After she stops speaking, She turns slightly away from him to stare patiently at the wall behind them.  He turns the other way, facing the crowd, and leans his elbows on his knees.  He takes his time to reply, breathing deeply in and out, rubbing his stubbled chin thoughtfully.

    When he begins, he speaks to the floor in front of his feet instead of matching her intense gaze.  As he went on, a deep crease grew between his eyebrows and his hands moved back and forth with each word he said.  Shaking his head, and closing his eyes when he stumbled over his words.  She nods when appropriate, and smiles at him understandingly when he finishes and finally looks back up at her.  

   

© 2015 Mercedes Loveless


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on April 3, 2015
Last Updated on April 3, 2015