The Eternal Prisoner

The Eternal Prisoner

A Story by One Metallic Teardrop

     I watched the weightless particles being carried by wind onto the frozen floor.  They blurred together forming thin layers of a crisp white sheet.  The smell was fresh, so was the air.  The sun had not risen when I woke, leaving the sky a cloudy gray.  I pressed my hand against the small frosted window, and embraced the numbing sensation that brought chills to my body.  Winter was in the air.

    As my hand left the frozen glass I took one last view of the flawless scenery which i knew was destined to be disturbed, but not by me.  I remained indoors, ordained to remain only one who sees and never one to experience.   I was a marionette whoes strings were tightly controlled; I was a powerless woman who was but an animal bouned by it's cage.  They told it me was for the good of the plenty including my own.  I was too powerful and too reckless to remain a free soul who could wander the Earth.   They told me no more, instead they surrounded and enclosed on me so there was no chance to escape. 

     "Tell me why!" I pleaded.  I was struggling to get free of thier grasp, but there were to many.  I begged them, although it was doubtful they could have comprehended my words as i struggled to form them through my sobbs.

     " M' aam I personally asure you that this is only temporary, you will soon be free to do as you please, this is only a cautionary measure." He replied dryly.   I trusted what he said, foolish of me now thinking of it.  What the man had said was a lie. I was to be an eternal prisoner because i was immortal. 

     The men dragged my small, convulsing body into the horse drawn carraige. 

     " What of my parents?" I cried " Who will tell them where I have gone?"

     " No need to fret my dear. Your parents will have no questions regarding your disappearance." He replied smugly.

    "Oh? And why do you suppose this?"  i felt my head swarming, as if there were insects chaotically flying inside.

    "I suppose you'll have much time to grieve." - My vision went black and i felt my tensed body relax as it was paralyzed by such a statement.

    " What do you mean?" I asked quietly, although there was no need.  I knew exactly what he had meant.  My parents would not find me because they would not look.  They would not look beacause they were dead.   The man walked away seconds after i posed the rhetorical question.  I was put into the carraige without struggle, my whole body including my mind captured by a deep state of shock.

© 2011 One Metallic Teardrop


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great "short story"! I can never write anything but lengthy stories...so props to you!
Intriguing, haunting this story is...it reminds me of a poem without rhyming, in an artistic light, if you get what I mean.
Great job! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


A fairly good read...

Posted 13 Years Ago


i love this story, its gripping and makes you question.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

427 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 13, 2011
Last Updated on July 13, 2011