New Zealand

New Zealand

A Story by Natasha Allan

When we sat under the universe, surrounded by life, in every direction a mysterious concoction of the known and the unknown, it was in that place I felt pure, genuine, unadulterated happiness. 

What a cheesy, cliché scene it was, a group of teenagers on a school trip, out past curfew under the galaxies & stars of the void above. Cross-legged in the long, stringy, excessively green grass, with - of course - a bubbling stream to their left.

You read poetry to us, and I laughed. I laughed blindly at the passages which sounded odd to me because I was too naïve and inexperienced to even begin to grasp what the words meant on their own, let alone strung together to make the beautiful piece that they formed. 

You were the reason those moments were my happiest. Throughout the night, you were the only thing truly shining to me amidst a world of mirrors, reflecting the light of embers floating in our inky atmosphere. 

Yet I still failed to talk to you seriously. 

I'm sorry.

© 2013 Natasha Allan


Author's Note

Natasha Allan
Second piece! Hopefully you like it but all comments are welcome. This one's a bit more openly personal.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on August 2, 2013
Last Updated on August 2, 2013
Tags: short story, camping, the milky way, space, friends, lover, mistake

Author

Natasha Allan
Natasha Allan

Canada



About
I started to love poetry at a very young age, and I remember I used to write silly little limericks quite often as a child, and share them with my family and classmates. As I grew, so did the subject .. more..

Writing