Writing Exercise

Writing Exercise

A Story by Lorelei Middlesex
"

Fiction or non?

"

I felt the urge to pee. I really felt like peeing. My legs shook the way they do when you're holding your piss in.
 

More than that, though, I felt like dying. The giant pail of cold water lay before me--swishing gently left and right to the rhythm of my footfalls.


I could hear two of them arguing outside. My nose touched my twin's in the liquid reflection. I recalled what one of them said: "More than twice a day." I recalled what one of them said years ago: "... ugly..."


I'd heard about choking yourself to get high. Perhaps drowning would be the same. If I came up for air.


My entire face was submerged in coldness. My head felt light as it bobbed on the surface, held under water by the minutest of forces.


I came up for air. Plenty of time before I'd feel light-headed. Outside, two of them argued.


I remembered cutting skin--first the wrists, then the arms, the legs, the stomach, even the breasts. You don't get high on cutting. You just get distracted. But you never forget, not for a moment.


I went under again, deeper. I heard the water spill out of my tiny pool. My hearing was fuzzy beneath the surface. The voices outside--angry, exasperated--were inaudible. A door was slammed--that much was clear. Another slam. It was closer; it made the floor tremble.


I could feel my heart begin to race, begin to fight for blood, for oxygen, for life. Hard plastic dug into my collarbone, and it began to smart. I could still feel. And I wasn't getting high. I felt the cold seep into my clothes, my skin. I considered for a while staying under. I considered drowning. Drowning was on my list: "40 Ways to Kill Yourself."


I never believed in inner voices before. But this time was real, and I could hear it, coaxing, "Do it. Do it." A chant.


Seconds later, my face dripping wet and my T-shirt soaked, I was looking in the mirror. I wanted to throw a brick at my head.


After the worst of it, I wrote this. This account. This narration. Midway through, I decided to post it for people to see, to read, deciding to label it, "Writing Exercise" to fool them into thinking it's fake--fiction, my own thoughts running rampant.


They decide whether to file this under fiction or non.

 

© 2009 Lorelei Middlesex


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on April 13, 2009
Last Updated on April 13, 2009

Author

Lorelei Middlesex
Lorelei Middlesex

Quezon City, Manila, Philippines



About
Left to right: Me, my best friend, my close friend Female August fifth Sixteen years old Writer Poet Dreamer I've been writing ever since I can remember. Writing is the only thing I can.. more..

Writing
Ding Ding

A Story by Lorelei Middlesex