What is PCI Compliance?

What is PCI Compliance?

A Story by michael bedwell

PCI compliance is a set of regulations put in place to ensure the safety and security of credit and debit card transactions. The PCI Security Standards Council is responsible for creating and enforcing these regulations, which are aimed at protecting both buyers and sellers from data breaches and other online threats.

Why is PCI Compliance Important?

Data breaches can have a major negative impact on businesses, both large and small. In addition to the cost of repairing the damage caused by a breach, there can be significant financial penalties for organizations that are not PCI compliant.

The good news is that PCI compliance is not difficult to achieve, and there are a number of resources available to help you get started.

How Do I Achieve PCI Compliance?

The first step towards achieving PCI compliance is understanding exactly what it entails. There are eleven security standards that must be followed in order to achieve compliance, and these include the following:

  • Build and maintain a secure network .

  • Ensure that all system components and software are protected from vulnerabilities with the latest security patches.

  • Restrict access to cardholder data to authorized users only.

  • Encrypt all credit and debit card data as it is transmitted and received.

  • Ensure that third-party vendors who process or store cardholder data are PCI compliant.

  • Regularly test your security systems to ensure that they are effective.

  • Maintain a comprehensive security policy and training program for employees.

PCI compliance can be achieved by following these basic steps, and there are many resources available to help you get started. The PCI Security Standards Council offers a self-assessment questionnaire (SAQ) that can help you determine which compliance requirements apply to your organization, and the Merchant Risk Council provides an assessment tool and helpful advice for achieving compliance.

What Is SAQ?

The SAQ is a five-part questionnaire that contains the majority of questions asked by merchants' acquiring banks and card brands to determine whether they are PCI compliant. It is important to note, however, that the SAQ only tells you which questions you must answer in order to receive your compliance validation.

Your acquiring bank and card brand will let you know which SAQ you need to complete, and each questionnaire is tailored depending on the size and type of merchant for whom it is completed; here are the current available SAQs:

  • SAQ A- Physical Security

  • SAQ B- Network Security

  • SAQ C- Application Security

  • SAQ AVP �" Validation for POS POI terminals

  • SAQ D �" Wireless Access

Once you complete an SAQ, it must be validated by an Approved Scanning Vendor (ASV). ASVs are certified companies that have been approved by the PCI Security Standards Council to conduct validation compliance testing, and they have been assigned a unique four-digit code. In order to validate your SAQ, you must provide the appropriate code for your ASV as well as a copy of your self-assessment questionnaire.

What is A Payment Card Data Security Standard (PCI DSS)?

The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a data security standard created by the PCI Security Standards Council. It includes standards and procedures that organizations must follow in order to keep customer information, including credit and debit card numbers, secure and compliant with the PCI DSS. The PCI DSS was created in response to an increase in data breaches, and it was designed to ensure that merchants who process or store credit card information protect customer data.

© 2021 michael bedwell


Author's Note

michael bedwell
PCI compliance can be achieved by following these basic steps, and there are many resources available to help you get started. The PCI Security Standards Council offers a self-assessment questionnaire (SAQ) that can help you determine which compliance requirements apply to your organization, and the Merchant Risk Council provides an assessment tool and helpful advice for achieving compliance.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

21 Views
Added on December 16, 2021
Last Updated on December 16, 2021

Author

michael bedwell
michael bedwell

About
Manoj Bhatt is a professional digital marketer, blogger, and content writer working with leading merchant services provider company Host Merchant Services in the USA. more..

Writing