The Complete Guide To Setting Up A Merchant Account

The Complete Guide To Setting Up A Merchant Account

A Story by michael bedwell

If you're looking to set up a merchant account, you've come to the right place. In this guide, we'll walk you through everything you need to know in order to get started.

What Is A Merchant Account?

A merchant account is a type of bank account that allows businesses to accept payments from customers via credit or debit cards. When a customer makes a purchase, the money is transferred from their account to the merchant's account.

Why Do I Need A Merchant Account?

If you want to accept payments via credit or debit card, you'll need to set up a merchant account. This is the only way to process these types of payments.

How Do I Set Up A Merchant Account?

In order to set up a merchant account, you'll need to apply for one with a bank or payment processing company. The process of applying for a merchant account can vary from company to company, but typically includes submitting some basic information about your business and filling out a credit application.

You'll also need to provide your business tax ID, which can be obtained from the IRS.

What Are The Costs Of A Merchant Account?

The costs of a merchant account will vary depending on several factors, including monthly processing volume and monthly fees. You should expect to pay monthly fees of around $20 per month as well as some other fees for transactions that take place.

How Do I Process Payments Using A Merchant Account?

In order to process payments using a merchant account, you'll need to do the following:

  • Collect customer credit card numbers by either swiping their card or entering it manually if it's a chip card or contactless payment. You might also need to collect other information such as the cardholder's name and billing address.

  • Use encryption software (such as SSL) to keep transaction details secure when transferring data back and forth with your payment processing company.

  • Forward transaction details to your merchant account provider either via a portal or FTP. To protect sensitive customer information, you should never email sensitive information.

  • Receive payment via your merchant account provider, either by check or direct deposit. You should also expect to receive a monthly statement detailing all of the money you've earned that month and any fees on the transactions that have taken place.

How Long Does It Take To Set Up A Merchant Account?

The process of setting up a merchant account can vary depending on the bank or payment processing company you go through. However, it typically takes a few weeks to complete the entire process.

Now that you know everything you need to know about merchant accounts, it's time to get started! Apply for a merchant account today and start accepting payments from customers.

© 2021 michael bedwell


Author's Note

michael bedwell
If you're looking to set up a merchant account, you've come to the right place. In this guide, we'll walk you through everything you need to know in order to get started.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on December 19, 2021
Last Updated on December 19, 2021

Author

michael bedwell
michael bedwell

About
Manoj Bhatt is a professional digital marketer, blogger, and content writer working with leading merchant services provider company Host Merchant Services in the USA. more..

Writing