Global Gender Equality Movements of the Twentieth Century

Global Gender Equality Movements of the Twentieth Century

A Story by michellekim

Throughout the twentieth century, women all over the world made enormous strides toward gender equality. Women's rights were not only constitutionally protected by the state, but society as a whole became profoundly egalitarian. Acts such as the 19th Amendment, which granted women the freedom to vote, the Equal Pay Act of 1963, and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 all contributed to a more gender equal culture, especially in the United States, with other European countries following suit. Not all women, though, saw the light of new possibilities; the majority of countries remained trapped in the past and refused to change their ways. In Muslim countries, women and young girls have been denied a standard education, relegating them to the position of traditional housewife and refusing them access to higher education. As a result, various countries have different goals, religions, societal values, and legislatures, all of which contributed to the diverse consequences of the women's movement.

Women in first-world countries have made the most strides, with countries like the United States, France, and the Soviet Union, among others, working for gender equality. In 1944, French women were given suffrage as part of the Second Wave of Feminism. This campaign was sparked by the French Revolution of 1848, as well as the Paris Commune. The Second Wave of Feminism saw a revaluation of women's roles in society, as well as a struggle for women's rights over their bodies, including their right to abortion and contraception. Following a call for equality in the 1930s, the Soviet Union enacted a number of gender-equal rules, which were eventually applied to Eastern bloc countries after WWII. The breakup of the Soviet Union in 1989 saw a resurgence of the demand for gender equality, as each new nation was given the ability to turn itself into the country they wanted, after a 40-year stalemate. As previously said, the United States was able to dismantle numerous obstacles that hampered women in the twentieth century thanks to the contributions of influential women such as Rosa Parks, Susan B. Anthony, and others. England followed suit, passing the Representation of the People Act of 1928, which gave men and women equal voting rights, as well as the Infant Life Act of 1929, which declared that abortions were allowed and praised under such circumstances, such as a pregnancy that would result in the mother's death or a pregnancy induced by rape. Most first-world countries, especially in Europe, gained suffrage in the early 1920s.

In Islamic countries, the most indices of gender discrimination can also be seen. Islamic countries accounted for 17 of the 18 countries with the largest literacy gap between men and women, according to a 2012 poll. While a few countries, including Turkey and Azerbaijan, granted women's suffrage in the 1930s, the majority of countries did not follow suit until the 1950s and 1960s, when Syria and Iran, respectively, granted women's suffrage. In contrast, Saudi Arabia did not allow women to vote until 2015. Until 2018, women were also required to wear a loose black headpiece in public, and they were not permitted to drive without a male companion in the car. Polygamy, including the disparities in divorce issues between men and women, is a major measure of women's inferiority in Islamic countries today. Men can get a divorce by saying "I divorce you" three times or writing a letter; women, on the other hand, would go through a much more complex and time-consuming process. And as Islamic countries continue to turn into more democratic cultures, religious traditions have hampered and prevented these reforms for thousands of years.

Despite showing signs of progress, third-world countries suffer from low gender equality due to a lack of economic prosperity, famine, and other adversities. The right to vote and own land is now restricted to women in half of the world's nations, with the other countries listed as third world. In Saudi Arabia, for example, women will not be allowed to vote. In addition, South Asian countries such as Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Nepal have patriarchal inheritance laws that favour sons over daughters. Women's rights have been restricted in a few poor north African countries. Economic underdevelopment seems to play a major role in the denial of women's rights in third-world nations, owing to competing interests. Since the standard of living is too poor, basic human needs such as food, water, and sanitation take priority, resulting in a lack of growth not just socially, but also economically. A lack of positive change results from the overall theme of a stagnant economy.

Women's lives changed significantly over the twentieth century as a result of higher social expectations, new rights, and greater freedom. However, it is undeniable that the magnitude of these reforms differed considerably from country to country. Muslim and Islamic countries have oppressed their citizens throughout history, resulting in unequal inequality and a lack of proper rights for women. Third-world nations still lack financial security, which is a prerequisite for progressing as a country in terms of social norms around women. Women in first-world countries, on the other hand, have the most opportunities for advancement and reform, and they are motivated to do so. Princess Diana, Helen Keller, and Rosa Parks are only a few examples of powerful women who have intentionally or implicitly aided the advancement of women as a result of equality. In this way, a country's financial situation and religion are the driving factors behind varying degrees of gender equality around the world.


© 2022 michellekim


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on October 10, 2022
Last Updated on October 10, 2022
Tags: gender equality, equal rights, movement

Author