Spiral of Rust

Spiral of Rust

A Story by Mikael Kurtis
"

Wrote this two years ago for some project where someones life is in a infinite loop which begins and ends with "this is how it is". Despite how dumb it is, it got me a A+.

"

 

This is how it is:   I wake up nude in my cold, moist metal cell. I don’t know how I end up here, but I stop questioning that a long time ago. I rub my eyes and try to stand up before my weak legs give out and I come collapsing back onto the ground. The cell has no bed, no features, no nothing other than me and the rotating fan leading to an air duct.  A bright, neon green light above the fan is the only light source in the room.
            With nothing to cover myself with, I’ll sit in the fetal position, shivering to keep warm, opposite of the door leading into the room. A lifetime passes until I finally hear their footsteps approaching my cell; the hazmats. The green light gives out and another, much more brighter light from the sterilized hallway covers my home in a warm glow before two or three hazmats invade to drag me out into the hallway. The hallway is even more cold than the cell. The door to my cell closes and blends into the walls, making the hall appear as if there is nothing other than the entrance and exit into it.
            Before it took two Hazmats to carry me, now it takes one with little effort to pick me up. I suppose I lost some weight.
            I’m taken to the Showers, my wrists strapped to chains on the ceiling, legs spread shoulder width apart and strapped to chains on the ground and the hazmats begin their thorough wash. As I’m being desterilized by the hazmats, a devotchka prepares my plug-suit for my daily conversation with Him and awaits by the door.   The hazmats release the chains which reel back into the walls and I fall to the ground, a pain I’ve grown numb to by the number of times this has happened, and one of the hazmats takes the plug-suit and opens the collar area wide enough for the other to stuff my body into it.
            After finally getting legs where they should be and my arms where they need to be as well (with each finger in its individually designed slot), a simple push of the button on the a device on my left wrist causes the blue and black plug-suit to decompress and form around my body. This is the only article of clothing I’ve worn in maybe a year.
            “Let’s go,” the hazmat says with little regard to me, who by this point can stand on his own two feet. To them, I’m just the product. They grab my arms and haul me away to our next destination, the Engine.
            The Engine.  
            The Engine is situated at the center of what could be for all I know a black hole. There is no other walls, no ceiling and no ground below the walkway. I assume we are near, or in, an open space as I can sometimes few a light breeze brush against my cheek. The only things you can see in here is the poorly lit doorway into the room by a single, petite lamp hanging above it, the metal grated walkway which makes loud clank as you walk across it… and the Engine.
            The Engine at best could be described as a rust-colored metal egg the size of a truck with a large latch leading into it. “VERSTAND 2015” is painted across the latch in a sloppy manner. It’s held up in this darkness by a series of large imposing tubes that disappear into the void below my feet. Another lamp clicks on above the other one on the wall behind me and my dark shadow is casted upon the latch. The Engine lets out a mechanical cry, and steam shoots out of the sides. A minute passes, and the latch opens.
            The Throne of Souls is revealed behind the latch. I’m strapped down into it and the hazmats attach various devices to my plug-suit before making a quick get-away from the Engine as the latch closes. 
            I’m in a world of hard red and black. A familiar feeling overcomes my body, the thoughts of another enter my mind before the smell of blood fills the Engine. I can’t keep any train of thought. Voices begin to seep into my head, I feel as though I’m going into a seizure and start to panic, but then a calming light shines from behind me. 
            Freed of the straps and plug-suit, I turn around finding myself in a wave of psychedelic tunnel of blinding colors, stars and heat speeding to the very end of this tunnel where a single black dot grows and devours the technicolor environment. My mind is exploding, my brain going haywire. I get closer and closer, and this time I feel as though I can touch it if I just reach my hand out.
            And then I wake up nude in my cold, moist metal cell. I don’t know how I end up here, but I stop questioning that a long time ago. I rub my eyes and try to stand up before collapsing back onto the ground. This is how it is.

 

© 2009 Mikael Kurtis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on October 29, 2009
Last Updated on November 23, 2009

Author

Mikael Kurtis
Mikael Kurtis

WA



About
I am government secretary for one of our beloved military groups that involves a lot of water. Born back in 1988, life long metal head. All my dumb stories generally have the same themes (unintion.. more..

Writing
A Day Off A Day Off

A Chapter by Mikael Kurtis