The Other Side of Earth

The Other Side of Earth

A Poem by Michael Howell
"

I don't even know... Hey, it's late, ok? Gimme a break...

"

 

One, single snowflake fell from the paling blue sky, swirling intricate paths through the nothingness we humans call air and found a path that led right into the little boy’s hand that so desperately needed it. It landed silently and gazed into the boys’ eyes, expecting only the unexpected. The boy looked in puzzlement at the snowflake. Had he never seen one before? The snowflake felt the exposed skin warm in response to the boy’s touch. The snowflake hadn’t anticipated that!  It cried out, with such force it almost broke the human’s ears, but didn’t, because some law on some faraway world said so. Nature cannot alter human reality, no matter how much it may want to. The boy’s giant blue eyes watched the snowflake melt in agony, the same mocking face full of wonder at this new discovery. The snowflake saw the boy’s eyes look up, but the snowflake’s vision was fading fast. He could feel his solid life melting out of him. His thoughts dipped, he was hardly aware as a solid now. The boys looked to the left and called out “Momma, why is the sky so grey now? Where’d the happy go?” The snowflake was happy now, the boy’s hand acting as a sauna, a heat pad to relieve the ache of melting. The snowflake was so relaxed. It opened its eyes again. Water, now. A tiny drop of water. He looked at the boy, hardly thinking at all anymore. The boy looked down at the water with an angry face. “Now it’s just stupid water” he said angrily and wrung his hand hard. The water tore in half, sending pieces of it through the oxygen and it landed and splashed in many places over the dirt. The snowflake was sad. Sad it hadn’t been a solid anymore. It was slipping through the spaces of the dirt fast. He took one last look at the boy who was gazing right back. “Where are you going?” asked the boy. Oh, everywhere and nowhere, I guess thought the water. It seeped… and seeped… and was no more but happiness against the grey and the ground of what we humans call earth.

© 2009 Michael Howell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
Added on October 20, 2009

Author

Michael Howell
Michael Howell

Salt Lake City, UT



Writing
Shade Shade

A Poem by Michael Howell